Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 2,318Posts
    • 1,658Thanks
    dekaspace
    Is quick washing bad for clothes?
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    Is quick washing bad for clothes? 9th Oct 16 at 4:24 PM
    I planned to go to a relatives this weekend and whilst there wash some clothes meaning I don't have to do mine again till Thursday or Friday.

Yes recently talked about false economy of big loads being worse than small loads, its not the money side of it more that I was worried that constant washing will lighten clothes due to washing out the dye and fabrics will get damaged.

So I wouldn't mind something to "freshen up" clothes i.e worn a t shirt for a hour or two one day and its smelly but not dirty to put it in wash to get it smelling nice.

So what I was thinking was.

The more washes I do even quick washes would damage fabric and lose colour faster.
    Quick washes wouldn't clean the item properly so washing powder/liquid would still be on the clothes.
    The more I use machine would wear down its life as well.

So was just wondering the actual reality?
Page 2
    • The all new me
    • By The all new me 12th Oct 16, 8:24 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    The all new me
    I use the quick wash feature on my machine which is 1hr. Seems fine for everything apart from sheets and towels.

There is a 20 and 30 minute programme but rarely use them.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 13,905 Posts
    • 108,460 Thanks
    JackieO
    Mr Singleton...it's different strokes for different people. In my own household, it is only me working & therefore paying for everything, as my lovely DH has an incurable illness which is nowstarting to take effect & I am not even 50! I try to be frugal in some areas to make moneyetc go further so that we can have a few luxuries now as in the future, I may have to give up work.

Being frugal does not mean 'plain mean'. We all have our reasons.

Finally, sorry OP for high jacking your thread.
    SIL
    Originally posted by ScotinLondon
    Indeed I prefer to spend my cash on other things, usually my family and grandchildren.in no way am I mean and I certainly won't be leaving millions in the bank.I have more than enough for my needs and being frugal in not wasting cash or utilities is sensible rather than mean, but as ScotinLondon says different strokes for different folks To waste the earths resources as well as money is just absurd. To conserve water by using less to wash barely mucky clothes seems eminantly sensible to me as I have a water meter which mean I also have to pay for all the water I use.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 NSD today
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 12th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Slowly57
    Indeed I prefer to spend my cash on other things, usually my family and grandchildren.in no way am I mean and I certainly won't be leaving millions in the bank.I have more than enough for my needs and being frugal in not wasting cash or utilities is sensible rather than mean, but as ScotinLondon says different strokes for different folks To waste the earths resources as well as money is just absurd. To conserve water by using less to wash barely mucky clothes seems eminantly sensible to me as I have a water meter which mean I also have to pay for all the water I use.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I think we sometimes forget that a couple of generations came through a war and food rationing (until 1954). My Mum remembers it vividly, and some of her habits have filtered through to me (food hoarding lol). And not just food - clothes and pretty much all we take for granted as necessaries now!

I think frugality needs to be rebranded (like recycling).

Now, back to washing ....
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 12th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 5,198 Thanks
    jackyann
    I think we all need to be careful with the earth's resources; exactly how we do that and how we choose to spend our money is up to us.
    But I do think that clothes washing can be awkward, trying to treat clothes well and keep up modern standards! We also need to recognise that treating clothes properly does prolong their life. This is what I do for 2 people:
    I have a divided laundry basket: blacks, whites (underwear etc.) 'delicates' (which includes my good Tshirts) and ordinary (OH's shirts etc)
    I have a bucket into which I fling Ttowels etc. and if necessary, I soak in a little bleach
    Sheets and towels tend to go through straight away.
    Most days I review and see what needs to go through that day and if something else could go in: a pale shirt with the whites (put up with it being a less vigorous spin), some black stuff with dark delicates etc.

That way, most clothes get treated the way they should (a load of each kind usually goes through each week) and I don't usually put through a small load.
    If need be, I wash the odd bit of underwear or Tshirt in the shower and leave to drip dry.
    I do think my clothes last longer than most peoples as I am carefulabout washing, and I use Ecover or BioD as they contain no bleach - I buy bleach separately and add if needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter