Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 1,922Posts
    • 3,339Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Old wives Tales
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    Old wives Tales 9th Oct 16 at 3:42 PM
    You can make them up if you like.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away
    Yeah, yeah – we all know eating fruit and veggies every day is important for our overall health. But an ‘apple’? A ‘day’? Turns out those old wives weren’t just nagging … they were actually spot on.
    A 2013 study found that if all people aged over 50 in the UK ate just one apple per day, they would actually prevent – or delay – 8500 heart attacks and strokes every year. So let them eat apples!

Full moon

No, you’re not imagining it when your kids go a bit bonkers when there’s a full moon on display. Those old wives have been hinting for centuries that a full moon can make for some weird-!!! behaviour – from both animals and humans alike.

Generally, researchers have yet to prove categorically that our behaviour, fertility and birth rate, etc. are affected by lunar patterns (are you are LUNAtic?). But one study in particular has found that we find it more difficult to sleep around the time of a full moon, despite black-out blinds, etc.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 2
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 10th Oct 16, 3:16 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    You’ve probably heard of swiss cheese, cheddar cheese, or pepper jack cheese but have you heard of Groaning Cheese? In Medieval England, expectant mothers made what they called a ‘Groaning Cheese’ which was a large wheel of cheese that matured for nine months as the unborn baby grew. When the ‘groaning time’ or time of birth came, the whole family would celebrate by eating this cheese until nothing but the outer rind was left. The newborn would then be passed through the rind on Christening day to be blessed with a long and prosperous life. What a cheesy superstition!
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 10th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Don’t worry, you read the title right. In Russia, there is a belief that if a bird defecates on you, your car or your property it’s a sign good luck and may bring you riches. The more birds involved, the richer you’ll be! So next time a bird poops on you, just count it all joy.

There seems to be a lot of variations on this superstition, but the idea of having an itchy palm generally refers to someone who is greedy or has an insatiable desire for money. Some people believe that if the right palm itches, you will lose money, while an itchy left palm means that money is coming your way. If both palm itches…you may want to go to a doctor for that.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 10th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 36,474 Posts
    • 73,314 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    makingplans4nigel you have now got me thing about soothsayers. Yep a change is good.

Tips x
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Nay, nay, and thrice nay! Titter ye not.

I loved Up Pompeii.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • trollopscarletwoman
    • By trollopscarletwoman 10th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 7,553 Posts
    • 9,740 Thanks
    trollopscarletwoman
    When a teenager I had a wart on my hand.

My Mother suggested rubbing blood from a piece of steak on it.

I laughed.

But guess what-it worked!
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 10th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 36,474 Posts
    • 73,314 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    My Lovely Cousin's lovely grandmother has some strange ideas about thunderstorms. For a start she would never say, thunderstorm, and only ever referred to thunder and lightning as funny stuff.

If a storm was a-coming she would put all the cutlery in their drawers, and turn mirrors to the wall as they could "attract" lightning. There was no convincing her otherwise.

It's allegedly bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, to pass someone on the stairs, or walk under a ladder.

Anyone know what the definition of bad luck actually is?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 10th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    NEVER do laundry on new years day or someone in your family will be dead before the year is through
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    In my family it was boxing day, New years day and good friday - as you will wash someone in or out of the family! Apparently hanging washing on the line or aired makes the sign of the cross! (I once got caught by my mum doing a load of washing on good friday - I was not planning on hanging it out as it was raining so it would dry in the washer dryer) apparently tumble dryers do not offer dispensation from the fate! I was accused of trying to tumble dry someone out of the family.

In reality I think old wives were just looking for excuses to not do washing on bank holidays!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • TE1979
    • By TE1979 11th Oct 16, 2:55 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    TE1979
    Bury a sin in the sand.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 11th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Bury a sin in the sand.
    Can someone show me how?
    I am so sinful.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • colinw
    • By colinw 11th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 46,436 Posts
    • 127,165 Thanks
    colinw
    12 x GU10 Halogen bulbs from Wilkinson's
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 11th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    12 x GU10 Halogen bulbs from Wilkinson's
    They have them on Amazon.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

5,052Users online

Martin's Twitter