Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 1,963Posts
    • 3,385Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Old wives Tales
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    Old wives Tales 9th Oct 16 at 3:42 PM
    You can make them up if you like.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away
    Yeah, yeah – we all know eating fruit and veggies every day is important for our overall health. But an ‘apple’? A ‘day’? Turns out those old wives weren’t just nagging … they were actually spot on.
    A 2013 study found that if all people aged over 50 in the UK ate just one apple per day, they would actually prevent – or delay – 8500 heart attacks and strokes every year. So let them eat apples!

Full moon

No, you’re not imagining it when your kids go a bit bonkers when there’s a full moon on display. Those old wives have been hinting for centuries that a full moon can make for some weird-!!! behaviour – from both animals and humans alike.

Generally, researchers have yet to prove categorically that our behaviour, fertility and birth rate, etc. are affected by lunar patterns (are you are LUNAtic?). But one study in particular has found that we find it more difficult to sleep around the time of a full moon, despite black-out blinds, etc.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 1
    • oldhand
    • By oldhand 9th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 6,944 Thanks
    oldhand
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    Gosh when I was a child my mother used so many "old wives tales" on our large family its a wonder we lived so long.Some were very ordinary such as putting a key down your back for nosebleed (made me vomit blood instead)🤒,some to this day make me cringe,if you dared complain of a sore throat she would tell you "the palette of you throat had dropped" whatever that was supposed to mean? and then she took a tablespoon of pepper,made you open wide and tilt it onto the back of your throat,(cue coughing spitting and wailing).
    She also kept a large bottle of pink coloured medicine with the initials M&B on it which she reached for if any of us complained of a sore tummy.
    That had the most revolting taste of almonds which put me off marzipan icing for life.But the one she kept for a blocked nose I really detested and when I understood what it was really used for many years later baffled me to this day.
    She had a bottle of peroxide liquid which she would fill a nose dropper with and squirt into both sides of your nose,both the sensation and the taste as it ran into your throat had to be experienced to be believed..🤐😷🤐😷😤
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    oldhand oh my goodness! What a story. Thank-you for that.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    ACORN
    An acorn should be carried to bring luck and ensure a long life.
    An acorn at the window will keep lightning out
    AMBER
    Amber beads, worn as a necklace, can protect against illness or cure colds.
    AMBULANCE
    Seeing an ambulance is very unlucky unless you pinch your nose or hold your breath until you see a black or a brown dog.
    Touch your toes
    Touch your nose
    Never go in one of those
    Until you see a dog.
    APPLE
    Think of five or six names of boys or girls you might marry, As you twist the stem of an apple, recite the names until the stem comes off. You will marry the person whose name you were saying when the stem fell off.
    An apple a day
    Keeps the doctor away.
    If you cut an apple in half and count how many seeds are inside, you will also know how many children you will have.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 9th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    It depends whether you mean superstitions or Old Wives Tales. Some of the Old Wives Tales work. Superstition can drive you mad!

I am very superstitious! I hold my collar when a hearse drives by. I salute magpies. I cross my fingers if I have to walk under a ladder...until I see a spotty dog.

Thank goodness I'm quite normal. Oh.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    Oh he is my favourite
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 9th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    Pah! I'm not THAT old!
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    Once upon a time there was an old wife....Oh I give up.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    Btw. Cheers for the Poem Tips..
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    BABY
    To predict the sex of a baby: Suspend a wedding band held by a piece of thread over the palm of the pregnant girl. If the ring swings in an oval or circular motion the baby will be a girl. If the ring swings in a straight line the baby will be a boy.
    BASEBALL BAT
    Spit on a new bat before using it for the first time to make it lucky
    BED
    It's bad luck to put a hat on a bed.
    If you make a bedspread, or a quilt, be sure to finish it or marriage will never come to you
    Placing a bed facing north and south brings misfortune.
    You must get out of bed on the same side that you get in or you will have bad luck.
    When making the bed, don't interrupt your work, or you will spend a restless night in it.
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 9th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Find a penny,
    pick it up,
    and all day long,
    you'll have....

A PENNY! Not good luck or bad luck or any other random fictional fortune, just a penny.

Of course I'm paraphrasing a little.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 9th Oct 16, 11:04 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Sam Fallow Don't worry be happy.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 10th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I thought it was-
    Find a penny pick it up
    Later on you'll have a ........
    Chance to spend a penny
    Spend a penny, that's a laugh, it cost one Euro in Amsterdam.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Have you seen the state of our pound!
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 10th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 6,439 Posts
    • 20,562 Thanks
    fairy lights
    NEVER put new shoes on a table (bad things will happen if you do, I'm not sure what exactly but I'm told it will be baaaad)
    NEVER do laundry on new years day or someone in your family will be dead before the year is through
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 10th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    Izadora
    NEVER put new shoes on a table (bad things will happen if you do, I'm not sure what exactly but I'm told it will be baaaad)
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Apparently that dates back to when people were brought home after death and were laid out on the table in their best clothes, including new shoes, before the funeral. It's the only time new shoes should ever be on a table.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 5,948 Posts
    • 14,936 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Being part Scot, first footing is a popular activity amongst those of us sober enough to check on the details.

The first person over the threshold in the new year should be tall, dark & male (handsome is optional, alas) bearing a silver coin [for wealth], bread [for food], salt [for flavour], a lump of coal [for warmth] & a drink [for good cheer]. (M'lady mother packed a seasonal Footer's Box to ensure that all requirements were met. As word spread, she now leaves a parcel of sandwiches by the garden gate & The Box is stashed out of passers-by line of sight.)

Us girls were darn near tied to the stair-rail to prevent misunderstandings, what with being female & blonde counting against us. (My mother in law agrees with it needing to be a chap, but the dark or blonde bit she's unfazed by. Derbyshire women - get the job done, the coin safe away, the bread shared, the salt put somewhere dry, the coal onto the fire & the drink into glasses promptly.)

Apparently in Worcester the first footer may be the first carolsinger, seized & led through the house. Ye gods the underdocumented hazards of carolsinging...

Having read Wikipedia on house blessings, whilst I might try to persuade the artist in residence to do me a card with CMB (for Caspar, Melchior, & Balthasar) & sending a card addressed to Saint Florentius to my dog owning sister (who appreciates her dogs far more than any of us humans), I'm just so relieved not to be a Hindu in Tamil Nadu where leading a cow through all of the rooms is [or perhaps was] de rigeur.

Oh and as for apple wassailing, I can report that far from being an old wives tale, it's good clean fun & this year has proven singularly effective. Go carol to that apple tree both at Christmas *and* on Twelfth Night as a reward for getting all the decorations away?
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 2,324 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    I was brought up in Dundee and we were told that if new shoes were put on a table the first person to wear them afterwards would stay unmarried for life.

*Guilty* of the crime and living with the consequences.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 1000 miles in a year challenge - 760.6
    This week - 65.9
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 10th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    *Guilty* of the crime and living with the consequences.
    That is sad.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • makingplans4nigel
    • By makingplans4nigel 10th Oct 16, 12:51 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    makingplans4nigel
    My missus is Chinese. When our baby girl was learning to stand she kept telling me that she would end up with bowed legs, just like all the Japanese girls. Historically bowed legs had nowt to do with rickets, let's just keep blaming the Japanese.
    Come on sucker lick my battery
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 10th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    makingplans4nigel you have now got me thing about soothsayers. Yep a change is good.

Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter