Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jasmineswhiskers
    • By jasmineswhiskers 9th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 2,062Posts
    • 1,424Thanks
    jasmineswhiskers
    Ebay Neighbourhood
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    Ebay Neighbourhood 9th Oct 16 at 3:42 PM
    I searched this but couldn't find anything - basically had an ebay offer to sell on other peoples behalf. No fees until Jan and you get 40% of sale price. This is a private account so don't quite see how it works for starters because surely doing this is classed as a business?
Page 1
    • jeffuk
    • By jeffuk 9th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    jeffuk
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    https://neighbourhood.ebay.co.uk/
    • patman99
    • By patman99 9th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 7,641 Posts
    • 8,965 Thanks
    patman99
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    I bet there will be a catch.
    Ebay have done this under the 'certified trader' scheme for a few years. However, ebay do not set the fees, the sellers do.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 57,704 Posts
    • 40,791 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    Strangely enough I've just got this on a rarely used private account of mine as well- but not on my business account.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • RFW
    • By RFW 10th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 8,222 Posts
    • 4,825 Thanks
    RFW
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    Back in the day (when it was Trading Assistant) I had a couple of enquiries from it that weren't terrible. I had it for wholesale stocks only. Then it got spammed from Far East sellers wanting to commit fraud. I managed to block it but it generated into Spam again so I deleted it.

If you've stuff to sell and don't want to do it yourself I could see it being ok but probably easier just to teach yourself to sell.

If you are selling for others you need to ask a lot of questions. You are ultimately the seller and any faults or returns are your responsibility. Are you handling the product? Are you storing the product? Why can't the person sell it themselves?

On paper 40% sounds a lot and it can be, it can also be a waste of time if it's lots of 99p items that each take you 20 minutes to list.
    • jasmineswhiskers
    • By jasmineswhiskers 10th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    jasmineswhiskers
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    Back in the day (when it was Trading Assistant) I had a couple of enquiries from it that weren't terrible. I had it for wholesale stocks only. Then it got spammed from Far East sellers wanting to commit fraud. I managed to block it but it generated into Spam again so I deleted it.

If you've stuff to sell and don't want to do it yourself I could see it being ok but probably easier just to teach yourself to sell.

If you are selling for others you need to ask a lot of questions. You are ultimately the seller and any faults or returns are your responsibility. Are you handling the product? Are you storing the product? Why can't the person sell it themselves?

On paper 40% sounds a lot and it can be, it can also be a waste of time if it's lots of 99p items that each take you 20 minutes to list.
    Originally posted by RFW
    So i'm considering giving it a go. It's supposed to be locally only (not sure what distance), you actually get the items from the person before listing them, can refuse items if you want (so that excludes the cheap, fake, dodgy stuff). You can specify the kind of things you prefer to sell. Theres also a button to say available/not available to sell. It's separate to your existing ebay account witn separate star ratings. Just can't work out how to put the about me part in!
    Anyone else tring it?
    • JanBristol
    • By JanBristol 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JanBristol
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    Hi I signed up for eBay neighborhood yesterday as I have run out of things to sell. Not sure how many people would want someone else selling their stuff though especially if worth a bit. I managed to complete my profile so I guess its just a matter of waiting. Have no idea how to tag the items to someone else or how payment works. It could get quite messy and be a nightmare too with returns/ problems, the item owner has nothing to do with sorting it out. There is also the issue that people can claim refund 30 days after paying with PayPal. A few issues to think about with this really.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 57,704 Posts
    • 40,791 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    Also don't forget that if you are storing goods for someone else make sure you have insurance cover in case of loss or damage.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • jeffuk
    • By jeffuk 10th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    jeffuk
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    ..... and keep your accounts in order, ready for the HMRC.
    • jasmineswhiskers
    • By jasmineswhiskers 10th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    jasmineswhiskers
    ..... and keep your accounts in order, ready for the HMRC.
    Originally posted by jeffuk
    I don't get why ebay is offering this to private sellers as this is obviously a business transaction - no doubt there will be a sting in the tail somewhere along the line.
    • lesleyb
    • By lesleyb 10th Oct 16, 8:55 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    lesleyb
    I searched this but couldn't find anything - basically had an ebay offer to sell on other peoples behalf. No fees until Jan and you get 40% of sale price. This is a private account so don't quite see how it works for starters because surely doing this is classed as a business?
    Originally posted by jasmineswhiskers

I signed up for this back in the summer, I received a welcome pack which included cards to give out, leaflets, a t shirt and lanyard. I did have a couple of emails from people asking me to sell on their behalf but decided that it wasn't for me.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 10th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    "You'll be paid 60% of the item’s sale price for each item from the seller (minus PayPal fees chargeable to you for any PayPal payment made to you by the seller). The seller will pay you 14-16 days after the sale is completed. This is to ensure that there are no buyer issues or return request after the sale. If you do not receive payment within this time, please contact the seller in the first instance. If you’re unable to sort things out with the seller, please e-mail eBay by clicking here. eBay will then work with you and the seller to resolve this."

So people end up with half of what something sells for, and even then don't get paid for almost 3 weeks.

How is that going to get anyone interested?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Oct 16, 11:27 PM
    • 23,297 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    What happens when 2 months down the line a buyer complains and wants their money back?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 11th Oct 16, 9:37 AM
    • 14,583 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    Many agencies that sell goods on behalf of people take 50% , it's hobsons choice . They often don't send me you the money till 2 months after.

I'd be concerned about people trying to sell stolen property.
    Do ebay tell you how to try to avoid this?
    Shops in town centres that sell goods eg cash converters are often dealing with people with no provable Id.
    • Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 11th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    The sort of people this is aimed at won't want to wait 3 weeks on the offchance of getting half value.

I assume this is just another lame ploy to see off facebook?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 23,297 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Ebay should concentrate on making ebay a safe place and eliminate the scammers and clamp down on sellers that spoil it by spamming certain categories.

So many items that i do not even bother looking at ebay anymore. And all that junk about collections etc.. I dislike being forece fed a ton of items i am not interested in.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 12th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 7,641 Posts
    • 8,965 Thanks
    patman99
    Thanks RFW. I could not for the life of me think of what it was called.

Looks like a total waste of time to be honest. I would happily under-cut any seller in my area offering the scheme as I would only charge 15% fees for selling other folks stuff.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,723Posts Today

10,123Users online

Martin's Twitter