Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 2,308Posts
    • 1,654Thanks
    dekaspace
    Faulty sink?
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    Faulty sink? 9th Oct 16 at 2:30 PM
    Yes could put this in DIY section but thought I would try here first also because trying to work out if LL should fix it or me.

In the U bend under sink theres a piece that screws onto a bigger pipe that leads to washing machine water removal and under the cupboards (so I logically assume drains)

I know from my personal experience I have knocked the (cheap looking) pipe when moving the washine machine.

I also noticed for a long time theres been a small damp patch under sink but it drains somewhat normally.

Last night I noticed the 2 pieces of pipe were not attached and my attempts at trying to do so made it worse but eventually got it to a point where its mostly attached and if I run tap full blast at most a tiny trickle comes out of pipe.

So I would say it needs fixed but what exactly is it? Would it count as my fault thus I get it repaired or LL responsibility?

I can get a photo if needed, to describe better its like 2 pipes that are forced together with pressure and one had that screw thing that tightens but the 2nd pipe does not have this so the 2 dont lock together.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 9th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 4,318 Thanks
    anselld
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    Picture would probably describe it better.

However as a general rule, wherever two waste sections meet there should be a rubber seal of some sort. They normally leak because the seal is missing, damaged or displaced.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    Will get a picture but the main part from googling is a p trap u bend.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    Not sure why you are moving the washing machine. Disturbing the pipes might cause their connection to come loose.

Having said that, the outflow from a w/m is normally via a flexible hose so provided you don't stretch that hose excessively, should be OK.

The hose usually either hooks over a verticle pipe, or connects to a sink u-bend.

Best advice is to let the LL know there is a leak which needs fixing so that the leak does not damage the property.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    Not sure why you are moving the washing machine. Disturbing the pipes might cause their connection to come loose.

Having said that, the outflow from a w/m is normally via a flexible hose so provided you don't stretch that hose excessively, should be OK.

The hose usually either hooks over a verticle pipe, or connects to a sink u-bend.

Best advice is to let the LL know there is a leak which needs fixing so that the leak does not damage the property.
    Originally posted by G_M
    The washing machine was provided in the sense it was not on the inventory and it broke so I fixed it myself (going back 18 months ago) so was told by LL they won't fix it.

What the plain (very thin) pipe looks like is a normal pipe with smaller pipe inside that attaches to the u bend which has that part that screws to tighten (though nowhere to tighten it onto as the waste pipe is too small on its own)
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 9th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    You need to tell the landlord or the letting agent whoever manages the property that there is a leak. No landlord want to find a kitchen unit that has been getting wet from a leak for a long time. This is urgent.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 9th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 4,318 Thanks
    anselld
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:15 PM
    What the plain (very thin) pipe looks like is a normal pipe with smaller pipe inside that attaches to the u bend which has that part that screws to tighten (though nowhere to tighten it onto as the waste pipe is too small on its own)
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Sounds like a height adjustable trap.
    There should still be a plastic taper washer where the two pipes join.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    Sounds like a height adjustable trap.
    There should still be a plastic taper washer where the two pipes join.
    Originally posted by anselld
    Would make sense as if I angle it a certain way it seems to just about fit its just not locking.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 9th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 8,846 Posts
    • 11,845 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    According to the repairing standard in Scotland...

"Any fixtures, fittings or appliances provided by the landlord (such as carpets, light fittings, white goods and household equipment) must be in a reasonable state of repair and in proper working order."

So it's all very well and good the LL saying he won't repair or replace the washing machine but he should do.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Oct 16, 4:15 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    dekaspace
    They got around that by saying it was left by previous tenant and didn't list it on the inventory.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Oct 16, 6:59 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    Is this Scotland?

If so, the LL cannot get 'around that by saying it was left by previous tenant'. What a previous tenant did is irrelevant. When the LL let the property to you it came with a washing machine.

In Eng/Wales however, a LL can choose to eclude ites from his repairing responsibilities (other than items statute requires him to repair).

Have you searched utube? There are loads of videos showing how to repair things.....

edit: just seen your other post, so yes, you are in Scotland.

But wow! you're being very unlucky with floods and leaks!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5538449
    Last edited by G_M; 09-10-2016 at 7:02 PM.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 27,815 Posts
    • 50,995 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    You need to tell the landlord or the letting agent whoever manages the property that there is a leak. No landlord want to find a kitchen unit that has been getting wet from a leak for a long time. This is urgent.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Absolutely. When we moved into our bungalow, the kitchen floor had to be totally replaced due to leaking of a washing machine and sink for years with no-one doing anything about it. NB: I do NOT mean just the floor covering, I mean the timber.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin