Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 9th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 1,709Posts
    • 344Thanks
    hubb
    0 WOW
    Shuttle bus from Brussles airport - Best way to pay
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    0 WOW
    Shuttle bus from Brussles airport - Best way to pay 9th Oct 16 at 11:12 AM
    I will be taking some Euro over to Brussels and will also need to get a shuttle bus from the airport to the city. IWhat is my best option for getting the best rate: Pay at the airport with my Euro cash or buy here from the UK online using my credit card ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 9th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    Pay online with your Revolut virtual Mastercard. Generated in minutes.
    Then request a physical card that you can use if you run out of the cash that you have already purchased.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 9th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    hubb
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    Then request a physical card that you can use if you run out of the cash that you have already purchased.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    That sounds a great way except I am flying out Wednesday morning so won't have enough time to get a physical card. I will be making a large payment to a company over there too which would have transferred from my uk bank account to their Belgium bank with a fee taken. If I put enough money into a Revolut account, would I be able to make a payment to them with a better exchange rate and no fees that banks would charge ?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    If I put enough money into a Revolut account, would I be able to make a payment to them with a better exchange rate and no fees that banks would charge ?
    Originally posted by hubb
    Yes, as I already told you on Thursday. The transfer takes a few days to go through by 'The Currency Cloud', and Revolut will require verification of source of funds sooner or later if it's a substantial amount.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 9th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:06 PM
    That sounds a great way except I am flying out Wednesday morning so won't have enough time to get a physical card. I will be making a large payment to a company over there too which would have transferred from my uk bank account to their Belgium bank with a fee taken. If I put enough money into a Revolut account, would I be able to make a payment to them with a better exchange rate and no fees that banks would charge ?
    The ideal way is that you get them to open a Revolut account. Then you can transfer in seconds, in Pounds. They can withdraw to their bank account at the full mid market exchange rate.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 10th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    hubb
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    So it is better to pay online with Revolut for the ticket rather than on my credit card although I am using it while in the UK ?
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 10th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:59 AM
    So it is better to pay online with Revolut for the ticket rather than on my credit card although I am using it while in the UK ?
    Yep...though the savings will be small, as the price of the ticket is small.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 10th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    hubb
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:33 AM
    Will just use my credit card but will certainly join Revolut for future trips. Thanks again for the help.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 1,752 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    As usual you're quite short on the info needed for a specific answer. Assuming that it's priced in euros, not pounds, and your particular credit card charges a non-sterling fee, using Revolut will avoid that.

But the saving on a bus ticket is no big deal, compared to what your 'large payment' might be. Did you get the IBAN issue sorted out?
    • hubb
    • By hubb 10th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    hubb
    As usual you're quite short on the info needed for a specific answer. Assuming that it's priced in euros, not pounds, and your particular credit card charges a non-sterling fee, using Revolut will avoid that.

But the saving on a bus ticket is no big deal, compared to what your 'large payment' might be. Did you get the IBAN issue sorted out?
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Yes I did thanks. I got it through my Bank to theirs. They picked up the fees but didn't seem to mind. They seem to want a wire transfer when I am there in person to pay off the remaining balance. I have told them about Revolut but they said they may bear it in mind for the future.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 10th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Yes I did thanks. I got it through my Bank to theirs. They picked up the fees but didn't seem to mind. They seem to want a wire transfer when I am there in person to pay off the remaining balance. I have told them about Revolut but they said they may bear it in mind for the future.
    https://www.xendpay.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter