Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Westwater
    • By Westwater 9th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Westwater
    Christmas on my own Belfast
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    Christmas on my own Belfast 9th Oct 16 at 10:35 AM
    I moved here from overseas by myself earlier this year. I intended to fly home for Christmas but flights just too expensive and I'm starting a new job this month so probably wouldn't be able to book the time off anyway. I suppose I could take myself out for Christmas lunch somewhere in Belfast (expensive but cheaper than flying to Canada!). Any ideas on where I could go, keeping in mind it would just be me on my own - not sure if places would let just 1 person have a table on such a busy day?
    I just want to have something planned, be busy to ward off feeling too sad/lonely!
    Thanks
Page 1
    • duchy
    • By duchy 9th Oct 16, 10:38 AM
    • 17,887 Posts
    • 45,234 Thanks
    duchy
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:38 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:38 AM
    Have you checked flight prices from Dublin? Usually much cheaper than Belfast and the coach to Dublin airport is cheap.

Alternatively would you consider volunteering at a shelter for part of the day. Keep you busy and probably meet other people new to the city volunteering too.
    Last edited by duchy; 09-10-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 9th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 47,402 Thanks
    whitewing
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    See if this is your kind of thing:

http://www.belfastfriendshipclub.org/about-us/
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Westwater
    • By Westwater 9th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Westwater
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    I have checked prices from Dublin but still too pricey & I would feel cheeky asking for time off from my new job so soon. But the volunteering idea is definitely a great option. I will check that out. Instead of feeling sorry for myself I can do something useful! Thank you
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 9th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    Hi Westwater,

It's only one day. Don't worry about it. Get in comforting food and do what you want. x
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 10th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 1,718 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    People have this thing of looking at people who spend Christmas Day on their own with Oh Poor You! If its some great tragedy.

Its one day Boxing Day the shops are open, I have done it for years and never bothers me. I cook myself a dinner enjoy stupid TV shows, have a glass or two of champagne.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 10th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 7,601 Posts
    • 15,311 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:26 PM
    See if this is your kind of thing:

http://www.belfastfriendshipclub.org/about-us/
    Originally posted by whitewing
    Common grounds in the holylands hosts the friendship club. It also offers Xmas dinner for people who need it. Sounds like it would be a good fit for you

• michelle2008
    • By michelle2008 18th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    michelle2008
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    It might be a little depressing going to a local hotel on your own for christmas dinner - I have been and they are full of large family groups. The cultra inn is nice and festive.

I suppose it depends on your personality - but like an earlier poster I would have a luxurious day at home - best food and wine all day, good book and a good movie. Marks and Spencer's do fabulous turkey joints that are really easy to pop in the oven.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter