Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simon06
    • By simon06 9th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 35Posts
    • 0Thanks
    simon06
    Garage advice ?
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    Garage advice ? 9th Oct 16 at 10:17 AM
    Hi, ive had some real problems with my car recently and am looking for some advice about what to do.Here is the story.Three months ago my car started leaking oil quite badly so I took it to a garage and they said it is leaking from the camcover gasket,front main crank seal and had contaminated the cam belt and that the belt would need replacing.They said nothing about the water pump at this stage at all.So they replaced those oil seals and the cambelt and all was fine for a while.Two months later the car sprung an antifreeze leak and started making a squeaking noise at the same time from around the water pump area,but this time I took it to another garage (which i will call garage b) for an opinion.
    Garage b said the antifreeze was leaking from the water pump onto the cam belt and fan belt and as a result was contributing to the squeaking noise and had contaminated both belts,which would require replacement.They also said the water pump was knacked and on the brink of failure and strongly advised to get the cambelt,water pump replaced.Now at garage b they replaced both drive belts and water pump.For now, no leaks. At garage b I mentioned to them about the prior oil leak and they said the oil could of contaminated the water pump and speed up its demise.Now because i am not a mechanic i had no idea of that.Now I don't know whether to put this down to bad luck or the fault of the first garage for not replacing the water pump at the same time as a precaution.The water pump had only done about 30k miles prior to its failure.Do i have a case with the first garage or what ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 9th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 10,613 Posts
    • 6,007 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    Put it down to luck, if garage A had replaced the pump without your prior consent you would have still been moaning, you took it in to solve an oil leak and that was resolved. In future, take note of a 2nd trader criticising the work of a previous trader.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

5,932Users online

Martin's Twitter