Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 9th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 399Posts
    • 189Thanks
    pmartin86
    Washing Machine Recomendations?
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    Washing Machine Recomendations? 9th Oct 16 at 9:29 AM
    Morning All

Does anyone have any recomendations for a decent quality washing machine? My cheapo £120-6 year old is on its last legs, I've patched up the best I can but now the motor is on its way and a new one isn't cost effective. With a 4 week old baby my washing levels have gone up significantly, and this time around I've got a bit more of a budget to get something a little bit better, I'm looking to spend around the £250-£350 mark, but will go more if I really see the benefit, i'm not intersted in these silly fads like conrtolled by a phone app or a door to add while the wash is running or any of that crap, just want a reasonable quality machine with a good size drum, good wash and prefeably with a reasonable lifespan (and user servicable would be awesome :P)

Anyone got any ideas where to start?

Regards
    Paul
Page 1
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 9th Oct 16, 10:47 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:47 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:47 AM
    Consider a John Lewis own brand. The one I bought was a Bosch with JL branding.

And I got an extra years warranty. Still runs like new after 5 -6? years
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 9th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    We're on our second Miele - the first one lasted 23 years and parts were still available to repair it, but I opted to spend £100 more and get a new Miele. That was 8 years ago and it's still going strong and will probably outlast us! Miele design their machines for a 20 year service life and parts are available for 20 uears after they stop producing a particular model!
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 9th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    That 'cheapo' has cost you a miserable 5p a day. Why not do it all over again?
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 9th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    We're on our second Miele - the first one lasted 23 years and parts were still available to repair it, but I opted to spend £100 more and get a new Miele. That was 8 years ago and it's still going strong and will probably outlast us! Miele design their machines for a 20 year service life and parts are available for 20 uears after they stop producing a particular model!
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    The Miele at work crashed and burned within a year. Two grand that machine cost. Even Miele can make lemons.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 9th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    I'm on my 3rd Zanussi in 32 years, and only had this one since January this year.
    I paid about £300 for this one, equivalent price for the others - that averages 15/16 years, so about 35p a week over time?

Never had a problem with any of them and we live in a hard water area.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    You'll get good & bad reports for just about every make so they don't really help much. You're not going to get a Miele with a 10 year guarantee for that budget so go for the best guarantee you can & pray you get lucky. You're right to avoid all the gimmicks.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 9th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    We ruled out a miele due to the reasonably priced models lacking the basic timer function.

We picked up a beko for under 200 on offer with curries, and so far, it washes as well as any other machine I've used. Quite configurable, and 100 options I'll never use.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 9th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 2,499 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    Bosch - I think mine is about 9 years old now, still going strong.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Miele design their machines for a 20 year service life and parts are available for 20 uears after they stop producing a particular model!
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    If they design a machine to last 20 years as all Miele's promotional material seems to scream it does seem rather odd that when it comes to putting there money where there mouth is there only prepared to give the legal minimum guarantee as standard. The 20 years parts thing isn't true..... read the small print.

Never understood why people seem so proud that an appliance has lasted X decades. Compare a modern washing machine to a 20 year old one.... you'll get a worse wash, use hugely more water and energy which you'll pay for each time you use it.
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 9th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Chanes
    Miele. But I was going to buy a John Lewis, I changed my mind because I had set my heart on a Miele, I used to sell them when I was a kid working in a department store and I always wanted one. Still think a John Lewis own brand is a good deal though.
    Last edited by Chanes; 09-10-2016 at 9:15 PM.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    My bosch washing machine and condenser dryer are both 11 years old and still work perfectly. If you live in a hard water area, use a washing machine descaler at least once a month.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 20,816 Posts
    • 83,714 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We ruled out a miele.....

We picked up a beko for under 200 on offer with curries.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    Just worked out that our 15 yrs old Miele has cost us 7p a day.

True, we didn't get any curries with it, but who needs German curry?
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 26,267 Posts
    • 15,800 Thanks
    getmore4less
    short list some criteria and pick one that is on offer with a 5years warranty

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=washing+machine
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 9th Oct 16, 11:20 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    Just worked out that our 15 yrs old Miele has cost us 7p a day.

True, we didn't get any curries with it, but who needs German curry?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Now I really feel like I need to try a German curry.
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 9th Oct 16, 11:30 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    pandora205
    I bought a Samsung Ecobubble a few months ago and love it. It has a big drum and is very efficient yet economical: the eco programme uses only as much electricity as a light bulb (so the blurb says) though it does take over two hours. The only criticism I have in comparison with my old machine is that the quickest wash is about 52 minutes which is much longer than the quick 15 minutes I was used to but it washes very well even on cool washes. It's also very adjustable (number of rinses, spin speed, temperature) as well as having standard settings.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 10th Oct 16, 9:18 AM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,574 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Now I really feel like I need to try a German curry.
    Originally posted by Grenage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currywurst
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 10th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    Yum!

Those Krauts always make the best from the wurst.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,626Posts Today

7,515Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin