Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • S G
    • By S G 9th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 5Thanks
    S G
    Parking ticket in Botanical Gardens
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:41 AM
    Parking ticket in Botanical Gardens 9th Oct 16 at 8:41 AM
    Hi,

I was a member of Botanical Garden in Birmingham for years back in 2011-2014. They have a car park that members used to park for free. During the last year of membership they added this Parking system that members need to enter the vehicle registration number at the entrance or will be fined. I did it every time until one day my kid ran inside and I forgot. We received a £60 parking ticket from Civil Enforcement Ltd with pictures of our car... I appealed and told them that I was a member there but they didn't accept then I complained to the Gardens and I didn't hear anything assuming it has been resolved.
    Last week after 3 years we received a letter that we should pay £140 or they send it to the court!
    I wrote to the Botanical Gardens saying this ticket is unfair as it was an authorised parking but they haven't replied back. Can anyone help please.
    Thanks
    Last edited by S G; 09-10-2016 at 9:12 AM.
Page 2
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 9th Oct 16, 10:50 PM
    • 10,627 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    DUTR
    That link is over three years old.

The Beavis case at the Supreme Court and the introduction of the Alternative Dispute Regulations happened last year. The IPC have come into being, and PoPLA has been taken over.

There have been so many changes that your post is out of date and very ill informed.

Please do not post incorrect information as someone might actually believe you and end up paying when they did not need to. This is a money saving website after all.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake
    I never said it was the other day, I said I remember the article about the parking charges there, there were lots of complaints about it it made the majority of the consumer show.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 9th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 10,627 Posts
    • 6,010 Thanks
    DUTR
    But that's not a reason to tell a person to 'pay up'.

This is a private parking charge like we deal with here every day - generally held to be utter rip-off rubbish that the Government needs to reign in - they are not fines and even after the Beavis case are not there to be paid by recipients, rolling over like some sort of scam victim.

So like we said already, it seems a visitor to that place has free parking offered and has already paid for the privilege of membership, so cannot be expected to re-read the sign on every visit to check nothing new has been added randomly to a contract that has already concluded and (it seems, although we've not seen the membership agreement) offered free entry/parking for members.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Is re-imbursed parking free?
    Or is it that the OP should abide by the T&Cs that effectively negate the parking fee as part of his membership, only time will tell...................
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Oct 16, 12:19 AM
    • 40,629 Posts
    • 52,500 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Really not sure what you are talking about but please, no more 'he is going to have to pay up'!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter