Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vernall
    • By vernall 9th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 438Posts
    • 90Thanks
    vernall
    Opening BOS accounts
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    Opening BOS accounts 9th Oct 16 at 8:22 AM
    Hi guys

Im looking for a new home for some of my Santander cash.

Interested in opening 3 BOS accounts,my question is do I have to open an initial one online then at a later time it will give me the option via online banking or something to open the further 2 or can I open the 3 straight away with my first application online?

started the application process and thought it may tell me,got to the credit check section and it hadn't told me so i stopped

cheers
Page 2
    • dave23
    • By dave23 16th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dave23
    Can anyone confirm that BOS will accept direct debits from Tesco Internet Saver and Tesco Instant Access and you have been credited with monthly interest. I am looking to open an account to put my TSB monthly saver into when it matures end of this month.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Wow over 70?

And I thought I was bad with almost 40 a few years ago.

Any news on the interest rate for these BOS accounts? I can't see them staying at 3%, not when everyone else is reducing theirs.

It's only a matter of time before nationwide drop their flex direct so I got my family members to open one, even if they only keep a bit in it & not the full amount.

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Oct 16, 9:26 AM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Can anyone confirm that BOS will accept direct debits from Tesco Internet Saver and Tesco Instant Access and you have been credited with monthly interest. I am looking to open an account to put my TSB monthly saver into when it matures end of this month.
    Originally posted by dave23
    I put those very direct debits in place a few months ago after hearing about the requirements.

I don't know when the direct debit requirements come/came into play but I can confirm I got interest paid this month with those direct debits being the only ones on the accounts.

• jennifernil
    • By jennifernil 17th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    jennifernil
    Same here.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 19,217 Posts
    • 10,932 Thanks
    xylophone
    And here as well.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,480 Thanks
    badger09
    Me too

What will we all do if this facility is ever withdrawn
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 17th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    ratechaser
    Just out of curiosity, do BoS give you the third degree about wanting the 2nd/3rd accounts when you call? I stuck with just the one originally after getting rejected for a 2nd online, but in this new world of interest rates I'd be mad to turn up a home for another 10k at 3%...

It would be worth a few questions about why I want them when I live about 400 miles from the nearest branch, but always nice to be prepared if that is the case!
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 17th Oct 16, 2:11 PM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I'd expect them to tighten their criteria (or simply reduce rates) now with their 2 ugly sister (banks) reducing their rates.

Just out of curiosity, do BoS give you the third degree about wanting the 2nd/3rd accounts when you call? I stuck with just the one originally after getting rejected for a 2nd online, but in this new world of interest rates I'd be mad to turn up a home for another 10k at 3%...

It would be worth a few questions about why I want them when I live about 400 miles from the nearest branch, but always nice to be prepared if that is the case!
    Originally posted by ratechaser
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,480 Thanks
    badger09

Originally posted by ratechaser
    It was so long ago I can't remember exactly what I was asked.

I was ready with some reasons for wanting additional accounts though.
    • 33q
    • By 33q 18th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    33q
    just counted
    89....and 2 more planned

you need to be good at Excel for this game
    • 33q
    • By 33q 18th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    33q
    Does know how quickly you can transfer an account after set up

I have set up an RBS account simply as a platform to get me to an M and S regular saver at 5%

I'm feeding DDs from my Tesco savers
    • vernall
    • By vernall 18th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    vernall
    Can somebody just clarify when BoS month starts for paying in the £1000 please?

Is it date of opening?or 1st of month? or 1st working day?or 2nd working day?.......them saying interest is calculated on your balance on 2nd working day of month has thrown me lol

Thanks
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 18th Oct 16, 1:39 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 3,267 Thanks
    eskbanker
    See post #7, which quoted the BoS site's specification of calendar months....
    • ratechaser
    • By ratechaser 18th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    ratechaser

Originally posted by badger09
    Never mind, I decided to try again online and it let me open numbers 2 and 3 without any problems
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 18th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 12,606 Thanks
    Westie983
    I managed to open number two online, have no need for number 3 but I also was able to open another internet saver with Tesco, so I have another account to use to pull DD from.
    Save 12k in 2016 #16 Total £14650/£12000 = 122.08%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (£252) +£13/£300 = 88.33% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 £1 a Day #6 Total £34.00/£365 = 9.31%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £800/£800 = 100.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #104 Total (£1060)+£386/£2000 = 72.30%

Total £17195.78/£15465 = 111.18%
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 19th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 8,208 Posts
    • 105,759 Thanks
    karlie88
    Something related to the title of this thread in a way...

...I note in this week's MSE email that BoS is mentioned as a good 'savings' account. Am I correct in thinking that this is one of the very few times (first time?) that the MSE editorial team have included it as a top pick account?
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 1st Nov 16, 6:23 PM
    • 2,876 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    Have had 2 BoS Vantage a/ccs for a while now and just tried to open a third. A few seconds after submitting, this came up and has been there half an hour; no explanation, no email, no nothing. [img=http://www89.zippyshare.com/thumb/xc0iRHmq/file.html][/img]

Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 01-11-2016 at 6:29 PM.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 1st Nov 16, 10:33 PM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 34,887 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I opened all 3 of my BOS Vantage a/cs over the phone.
    First one very intrusive questions down to the last full stop!
    2nd- only a few weeks later , a lot more generalised.
    3rd- very quick & straightforward.

I can't think they brought in the need for 2 x DDs on Sept 1st and then will almost immediately cut the rate? But if Santander can change t&cs in a short space of time then I guess anything is possible.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • nervous_switcher
    • By nervous_switcher 1st Nov 16, 10:44 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nervous_switcher

Originally posted by badger09
    Is it likely that "I just want the interest" would qualify as an acceptable reason for wanting second and third BOS accounts? I'm slightly nervous about applying for second and third accounts after reading other posts.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 1st Nov 16, 10:52 PM
    • 28,347 Posts
    • 16,145 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Is it likely that "I just want the interest" would qualify as an acceptable reason for wanting second and third BOS accounts?
    Originally posted by nervous_switcher
    Why would you say that when you could just as easily say...

It's for bills and expenses.
    It's for rental income.
    It's for my secondary income streams.
    It's to help me budget better.
    Etc
    Etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin