Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    • 2,493Posts
    • 32,946Thanks
    O/S Daily Sunday 9 October 2016
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:51 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 9 October 2016 9th Oct 16 at 6:51 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 9 October 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, looks damp, dull and dreary here at the moment, sky has a very nasty grey look about it, looks stormy.

DH and myself up and enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day. Boys still in their pits.

Dinner last night was LO gammon, pork pie, hot quiche, jacket potatoes, salad and coleslaw/pasta salad. I remembered to get the pork joint I had in the freezer out to defrost for today's lunch, I've just checked it and it's still a bit frozen in the middle, but as it's only 6.30am and it doesn't need to go in the oven for a few hours yet, I'm hopeful it'll be defrosted before then - otherwise it'll be a quick drive to MrL**l for a chicken! I'll serve the normal roasties, mash, carrots, broc, may do caui/broc cheese (need to see if veg man in the village has any cauli's this am), peas, yorkshires and gravy.

I'll be prepping all the veg to go with the lunch, and organising pack ups etc, so once lunch is done, I can chill for the rest of the day. Yesterday work wasn't overly busy, but we did have a lot of people coming in to use the payment machines.

DH worked yesterday morning and thought he would only work for a couple of hours, but worked until 12 noon, and 1 of his colleagues had done a job on Friday and the company he worked for had really messed him around, so gave the colleague a big box full of muffins and donuts - he couldn't eat all of them as there was so many, so DH was given some to bring home yesterday - as if we didn't have enough sweet stuff in the house after my cooking/baking on Friday afternoon! DH and the boys had saved a raspberry and white chocolate muffin for me, and I had that with a coffee when I got in from work, I know I shouldn't have had it but it did taste good!

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 09-10-2016 at 7:08 AM.
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 3,066 Posts
    • 14,151 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    Morning folks and thanks for starting NMLC. Another silly o'clock wakening for me so have just been watching my favourite dances again from last night's Strictly! Ore floated under the radar for me until last night, when I would have had him top of the leaderboard! Brilliant!

No childminding to be done this week so we have decided to have a last few days at the caravan. DD and the girls are going at half term, which will take us up to site closing time. Then the ordeal of dismantling the awning and finding homes for all the stuff in there will begin. Usual nightmare!

Not thinking about that just yet and will try and enjoy our last few days there and enjoy some riverside walks (and nice lunches) if the weather is kind! I feel guilty about leaving DS here alone but DD says he will probably enjoy some time on his own to sort his mind out and just do what he fancies when he;s not at work. He won't starve, the freezers and cupboards are full and he lived on his own for long enough before the toxic relationship began, that he's happy pottering in the kitchen!

I have some pork loin steaks defrosting which I am doing for lunch and then we will depart. We'll probably stay until Thursday afternoon and try and put recent dramas behind us and relax!

Have a good Sunday and (((HUGS))) to all in need, especially those worried about poorly parents. Hope DUMPLING had a good night out. GERS your day sounded wonderful and it was lovely to re-visit (in my mind!) the places you took your guests. All familiar to us. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 9th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 849 Posts
    • 9,415 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    Morning everyone, thanks for the thread nmlc, that muffin sounded delicious

Cold but bright here with the sun just rising in clear skies. Am first up this morning, the girls have been walked and are snoozing in their baskets, DOH is enjoying a lie-in and I'm having first cuppa of the day.

Yesterday was a lovely, cosy kind of day, it rained a lot so spent the morning in the kitchen baking so plenty of goodies ready for the week. The batch included some of my sausage rolls which my DOH loves, only four left now :rotfl.

Will have bacon butties this morning whilst listening to the Archers omnibus then I want to pop out to the pet shop to pick up some food for Tilly. Thinking about continuing on right into town to TKM*xx as want to look for new cafetière and other bits, I do like their home stuff.
    This afternoon will get over to see Mum, spend time with her and cross check diaries with SIL for the week ahead.

Hope all have a peaceful Sunday, take care folks x

Edited to say, have a fab few days TA, fingers crossed that weather stays good for you
    Last edited by LaineyT; 09-10-2016 at 7:45 AM.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    Good morning, another bright, clear day!

TA that does sound good, make the most of the last caravan break for the year and your son sounds very capable.

I don't have much of a plan for today, but must get my winter work clothes ready. I think it is a bit too chilly now for linen trousers. I am somehow not filled with enthusiasm for back to work tomorrow but it is my shorter week and of course once I am there, there will be no time for misery, I'll be very busy. So I can console myself with the prospect of a 3 day week.

Dinner tonight will be roast chicken and all the traditional accompaniments, last night the chaps had mahoosive pork chops, barbecued chicken wings, chips and salad. I had a piece of salmon, salad and 5 chips. I counted them and ate them very slowly, as they were delicious. My OH cooks on Saturdays and he makes excellent chips.

I made most of a baby jumper yesterday and now need to sew it up and do the neckband, then start another. Nothing else of any interest to tell you, so will wish you all a happy day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 9th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 2,355 Posts
    • 27,111 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:18 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread NMLC
    We're off to see DD1 this morning and take a card, money and chocolates to DGD who is 12 tomorrow.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 4,547 Posts
    • 23,532 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    Morning everyone.

The sun is back out again! It's so lovely after our weeks of rain.

Yesterday we had a great time at the various places. I was in bed by 9pm and asleep in very short order. Today I'm just as busy. Off to buy some printer cartridges for a neighbour then into Glasgow for some Evelyn &Crabtree soap which my niece has been asked to take back for her mother. She has to be at the airport for 2.30pm so I'll drop her off and then zoom around to a student flat in Dennistoun to collect something (no idea what) to bring back up to Argyll for a different neighbour. Then another evening of entertaining ahead.

I'll be glad to get home tomorrow. Anyway, it's lovely having them here.

Sending out virtual hugs to everyone. Happy Sunday.
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 9th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    Morning all x
    DH has been to docs and she told him he was suffering with slight depression WOW she really needed her medical degree for that one. She has put him on sleepers for 2 weeks to try and sort him out. I personally think she has no clue as it's not sleepers he needs but counselling . So mad with it right now but can't tell him as he won't take it well.
    Hoping to go to a boot fair this morning but will see how DH is before we decide.
    Dinner tonight is chicken casserole as I have still got the ironing mountain to get through (must not put it off any longer)
    Anyhoo must get on
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 106,673 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    Good Morning chums bright and sunny at the moment in North Kent, still managed not to switch on the CH just yet.
    Eldest DD is coming this morning for her Sunday morning breakfast and coffee fest.Its her treat of the week a break from her busy life and the chance to get waited on by her Mum and I always cook her favourite of Scrambled eggs and we drink a large pot of fresh perked coffee between us and put the world to rights.She will do any little jobs that want doing .for today for example I have a light bulb that needs replacing in the kitchen and as my ceilings are 8'6" high its not a good idea to have a less than agile person climbing around on a chair so she will do it for me Bless her She will also reach the places I can't with the duster She enjoys doing little things for her old Mum and I know it stops her worrying about me falling off chairs or ladders
    We will also be nattering about my DGS forthcoming wedding in December, and also the fact that he and his wife will be moving to NYC to live with his job. He spends so much time there at the moment its usually a case of a fortnight over there and three days in the UK so he will just not be coming back to the Uk quite so much We will both miss him dreadfully but its such a good job and in this day and age you cannot stay rooted in one place anyway.DD and her OH go to the US about every 3-4 months anyway so it will probably be better once Danny is settled there for them to visit him. The wonders of the internet means that you can talk to people so much easier now with skype /ace time etc.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday and relaxes as much as they can

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

Day 26 and 24/26 NSD so far spent £46.91 and have £13.09 left in my food purse
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 9th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 13,320 Thanks
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's a beautiful bright morning here today. I'm just sat here with a cup of tea and I've just finished a lovely breakfast of beans, egg and seeded toast. That will keep me going until lunch time for sure .

The party was great last night, nearly everyone had made an effort to dress up, there were a couple of Freddy Mercurys, a couple of people in full aerobics gear complete with headbands and legwarmers of course, Boy George, Teen Wolf, Elliot and E.T and more neon than you could shake a stick at. We left fairly early but the party was still going strong hours later, I bet there will be a lot of sore heads this morning . It was fantastic to catch up with a lot of my family, some had come from Wales as well and I hadn't seen them for a couple of years.

After all the excitement, I am planning a quiet day today, hubby is on cooking duty so I am finally going to sort out my wardrobe as there are so many clothes in there that I don't wear. The house needs a bit of a blitz too so everyone will help with that.

Jackie, I hope you enjoy your 'strangled eggs' and coffee with your DD
    Gers, wow you have been busy, hope you get to enjoy some peace and quiet soon.
    TA, I really hope you and Mr TA have a lovely break at the caravan and that the weather is kind.
    lonewhitewolf, hugs for you x

Right, I'm off, have a great Sunday everyone, take care xx

• Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 9th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 23,316 Thanks
    Morning all, thanks for the thread nmlc. That muffin sounded delicious!

Blue skies and crisp here. I'm dropping DD at rugby training but will need to collect her early as we are off to my aunts 80th birthday meal in Hertfordshire later. Need to be back for 6pm though as DH has a rehearsal, it's all go!

I painted most of DS1's bedroom yesterday but ran out of paint. It was a deep sky blue and he now would like pale grey, so I'm doing a white coat first. DH was at mums doing a few jobs so I just got on with what I could. Can finish it tomorrow then DH can do the grey this week.

TA - enjoy your mini break and the space(!) of the caravan. I agree about Ore, such a great dance.
    dumpling - hope the party was good
    LWW - sorry the doc wasn't more clued up about DH xx

Hugs to all those in need and I hope you all have a great day.
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Currently reading: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 32,269 Thanks
    Morning All

Beautiful sunny morning here and I didn't wake up till 8.30, seems like the perfect start to the day.

Not sure what I'm doing today but it may involve a bike ride or walk.

Gers - Slow down, you're making me tired!
    Sounds like a fantastic evening dumpling.
    Have a good few days away TA, I think you deserve a rest!

Have a good Sunday. Take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 9th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 6,083 Posts
    • 83,735 Thanks
    Morning all,

Bright beautiful day here with a good breeze, I have stripped the beds and got them in the wm will hang them out once done.

OH fitted the mantle yesterday afternoon and I rubbed the plaster down and painted, I need to do another coat today and oil the wood and then we are done.

We also need to tidy the garden up today there is stuff from the shed that needs sorting into keep and chuck and we have hundreds of great big leaves to rake up, next door has a tree which every year drops its leaves all over the garden, Roger is coming Tuesday to mow the lawn and will need it clear.

Dinner tonight will be more of the ham which is delicious maybe with some wedges.

Also need to take Evie out for a nice long walk.

Have good days all xx
    • elona
    • By elona 9th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 52,113 Thanks
    Two dds and a son in law coming over for lunch at one so brisket is in a cast iron pot in the oven, potatoes have been par boiled in their skins and veg prepared. I will make up Yorkshire pudding batter later and put it in the fridge. Dishwasher is loaded ready to go on once I have pegged out the washing and then a leisurely shower and shampoo before looking out an outfit and tidying and a quick hoover.

I was supposed to get blinds fitted tomorrow but that has been put off so I might try to arrange an appointment for new glasses instead. We had a lovely morning shopping yesterday with middle dd and she left loaded with some tops, a dress, four home frozen meals and a couple of frozen cartons of sweet potato and pepper soup and green veg soup courtesy of my new soup maker which saves me standing over the hob.

I really need new glasses as my typing is awful and I keep complaining about small print that is difficult to read. ( It was not difficult a few months ago.)

On the bright side, taking the fish oil capsules etc has helped my knees and they are not hurting anymore

So pleased about the wedding news and you will all miss Danny but you know he will be happy and settled and with the wonders of skype etc you can stay in touch.

You are becoming a social butterfly pet and I am so proud for you.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 9th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 3,067 Posts
    • 17,683 Thanks
    Hi guys,
    Knee is looking good. What was a huge hole is now a small rectangle. Hopefully not much longer with the vac pac.
    Having another memory day tomorrow. Going to Sheffield Park with my cousin. Anyone who's been says it's beautiful this time of year.

Feeling good for the moment. Let's hope for another good week.
    Oakham chicken for dinner today. DD and DGC are coming for lunch too.
    Enjoy the rest of the day. Xx
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 10,019 Thanks
    Afternoon ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Bright morning but brrr again, will light the fire about 4pm.

We had our Sunday BIB, I put a load of colourds in, they are now on the line, its not very windy, but we have sun, I hope they dry.

I have emptied the airing cupboard in the bathroom ready for the heating people, we have been looking at how I might slightly re-arrange the sewing room, I think I have sorted out a solution just. The cupboard in the sewing room is full of stuff from the linen cupboard. I have discovered a bag with more bed linen in....aarrgghhhh......its all fairly new, think some of it is for a single bed and the rest for the double we had in the guest room at the cottage.

OH is off for his siesta in a mo, I am going to put my feet up. I have done the veg for supper and the pork is finishing defrosting.
    Tesco CC Used for diesel only. Paid off each month.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Oct 16, 1:11 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    Hilstep, that memory day sounds good. So good to hear that things are going well for you.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 9th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 17,950 Thanks
    Afternoon all,

The DGc have just left after a hectic weekend,DGS seems a bit whingy today,perhaps he's tired after yesterday-we went for a long walk through a pine wood with a river ,& bridges which then opens onto a stone track .Parts of it are really steep so they did really well & enjoyed it,so did we.Then they went to the local open farm for a party with DS and didnt get back till nearly 7.

I've fished some steak out of the freezer for tea,& DH has the dessert from the meal deal I got on Friday.DS1 is off down south tonight to help a mate out for a few days this week and next.
    Nmlc,mmm raspberry & white choc
    Hilstep-great to see you are feeling well ,enjoy your memory day out tomorrow xx
    Dumpling so glad you had a great time at the party
    TA have a lovely time at the caravan,at least you know DS is getting sorted now so you can relax a bit better.
    Hugs to anyone else who needs one xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • elona
    • By elona 9th Oct 16, 9:17 PM
    • 10,444 Posts
    • 52,113 Thanks
    DD and son in law helped me move the huge mattress off the bed
    and turn it upside down and replace it again.

I had to rescue the washing this afternoon as it started to rain so it is all on an airer with another full load whirring in the washing machine ready for tomorrow.

Nice bedding is now on the bed and I am enjoying watching tv with a cuppa.

I am glad you can keep making memories and hope your knee improves even more.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,184Posts Today

6,900Users online

Martin's Twitter