Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 8th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 10Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    [help] Is a Citroen C1 2 years younger worth an extra 300?
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    [help] Is a Citroen C1 2 years younger worth an extra 300? 8th Oct 16 at 10:59 PM
    Hi ,

Looking at my first car , single male and would appreciate any help please

i would appreciate if someone could tell me if the second car is worth 300 more ? Is it worth it for being two years newer alone?

C1 - Number 1 - 1.0i VTR 5dr [AC] 2010

Price: 3,300
    Mileage: 24k
    Owners: 1
    Full Service History
    Clean MOT sheet
    Doors: 5
    Air con
    Metallic Paint
    Road Tax: 20 per year

C1 number 2 - 1.0i VTR 3dr 2012 (12)
    Price: 3,600
    Mileage: 24k
    Owners: 2
    Full Service History
    Clean MOT sheet
    Doors: 3
    Air con
    Metalic Paint - not sure
    Daylights
    Last edited by AdventureRocks; 08-10-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 8th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    Neither come with road tax. If the second doesn't have FSH that'd explain why it's only a couple of hundred quid more... And it's 3dr so likely harder to sell.

Your post is incredibly hard to read, btw. Some emboldening or fewer paragraph breaks might help.
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 8th Oct 16, 11:15 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:15 PM
    Neither come with road tax. If the second doesn't have FSH that'd explain why it's only a couple of hundred quid more... And it's 3dr so likely harder to sell.

Your post is incredibly hard to read, btw. Some emboldening or fewer paragraph breaks might help.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    Hi thanks you i have formatted the post better now.

They both have full service history that was my fault from poor formatting.

I do not have a family but thinking 5 door may be helpful to get an overflow of shopping in and out as the boots are tiny..

Are daylights a bit of a gimmick? First i have heard of them today

Not sure if two years exposure to the weather etc will affect the life of the car either.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Oct 16, 11:15 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    boliston
    Are these dealer prices or private sales as they sound like dealer prices so you will have a minimum warranty instead of none. I have a c1 (my last car was also a c1) and went with a 3 door mainly because a micro car like a c1 looks a bit daft with 5 doors lol
    • AdventureRocks
    • By AdventureRocks 8th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    AdventureRocks
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:29 PM
    Are these dealer prices or private sales as they sound like dealer prices so you will have a minimum warranty instead of none. I have a c1 (my last car was also a c1) and went with a 3 door mainly because a micro car like a c1 looks a bit daft with 5 doors lol
    Originally posted by boliston
    Hi they are dealer prices
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 9th Oct 16, 6:16 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:16 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:16 AM
    As the owner of a 3-door Fiesta, I recommend buying a 5-door car if possible. Your passengers will thank you, even if you rarely carry any.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 9th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 1,064 Thanks
    eamon
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:33 PM
    In some scenarios the older car will be the better purchase e.g. more desirable colour, in better condition.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 9th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    Hi thanks you i have formatted the post better now.

They both have full service history that was my fault from poor formatting.

I do not have a family but thinking 5 door may be helpful to get an overflow of shopping in and out as the boots are tiny..

Are daylights a bit of a gimmick? First i have heard of them today

Not sure if two years exposure to the weather etc will affect the life of the car either.
    Originally posted by AdventureRocks
    I'd go with the younger car. In my 107 I always have the rear seats down with a mat over the top and dump shopping and bikes in there no problem. Only time the seats are folded back is for the MOT. Although the same mileage, the older one is likely to be more worn, especially the clutch and brakes as the journeys were likely shorter with more stop start and engine wear while cold.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 9th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    Does it have to be vtr trim as those three letters often double the cost of insurance on Citroens and this is already likely to be high if you are a new driver.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 10th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    3 door not as handy.

2 owners so was it a renter or courtesy car for the first 12 months, might account for it being cheaper but maybe the older one is well overpriced.

You can tell nothing from an adverts wording, go and check both cars out and also compare with other similar cars, you'll soon get the feel for a cared for example.

Run the engines from cold, neglected servicing can see these engine rattling like a tin can full of washers.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 10th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    24k miles in 6 years for the first one. That sounds like short journey pensioner use to me. My elderly mother does about 1- 1.5k a year in her Aygo (same car). I wouldn't want it.

If I had to I'd go for the second or look for a different 5 door.

Also. What use are you going to put it too? They are very low powered and, while fine for local pottering, are a pain for longer journeys and use in hilly areas. Personally I'd go for a car one size up.
    Last edited by Rain Shadow; 10-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,294Posts Today

6,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted to see the House of Lords taking up to cudgels to fight the disgraceful retrospective hike in student loa? https://t.co/buXWSlgXoj

• RT @politicshome: Cabinet splits on foreign students re-emerge as Amber Rudd admits there are 'differing views' https://t.co/XYivypL5Cc htt?

• For me capping the number of legitimate foreign Uni students is a mistake. Its one of our strong exports & boosts UK soft power around world

• Follow Martin