Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 8th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 1,517Posts
    • 228Thanks
    ferry
    Two master sockets
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    Two master sockets 8th Oct 16 at 9:54 PM
    Just thinking out loud here but is it possible to have two master sockets running from same line downstairs?

Would there be any benefit to having this as PC is in the bedroom and Android box is downstairs in living room and would prefer to cut down on running wiring everywhere?

Like I say just curious as to how to run two internet peripherals that require good connectivity at all times that wifi can't match.

Thanks as always
    Everything takes me 3 hours to post cos I'm using a BlackBerry Playbook
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 30,254 Posts
    • 35,815 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    No only one can be the master , you need power line adapters
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • ferry
    • By ferry 8th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    ferry
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    No only one can be the master , you need power line adapters
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    OK thanks.
    Realistically will they deliver anywhere near Ethernet speed?

As you can tell by now no expert here ...??
    Last edited by ferry; 08-10-2016 at 10:10 PM.
    Everything takes me 3 hours to post cos I'm using a BlackBerry Playbook
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 9th Oct 16, 1:02 AM
    • 877 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:02 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:02 AM
    If your electric wiring is good, then the speed can be OK. Generally, it's nowhere near Ethernet speed, but more than enough for gaming and browsing.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 9th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    I use them to work from home and access a VPN and stream Netflix etc with no issues. Mine are 200 mbps which is an older spec but work fine
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 4,771 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    Just thinking out loud here but is it possible to have two master sockets running from same line downstairs?

Would there be any benefit to having this as PC is in the bedroom and Android box is downstairs in living room and would prefer to cut down on running wiring everywhere?

Like I say just curious as to how to run two internet peripherals that require good connectivity at all times that wifi can't match.

Thanks as always
    Originally posted by ferry
    I'm a bit confused... why do you want two master sockets? Is it so that you can have one installed upstairs for the PC, and one for the Android box, so you get a fast/reliable connect on both devices?

If so, then (as above), you can't have two master sockets on one line. What you want to do is have the router plugged in to the master socket, and then run Ethernet cable (e.g. Cat 5e) to the PC upstairs.

If moving the router will negatively affect the wireless reception, then you could use a second wireless access point upstairs. But then, you'd either need to run two cables upstairs or (preferably) use a network switch upstairs (which converts one Ethernet cable/socket/port into multiple ones).

Powerline adaptors are never going to be as good as an Ethernet connection.

Hope that helps... :-)
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 9th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    If you have a modern DSL faceplate (MK3 I think) with the A/B DSL extension terminals it is possible to run an extension using CAT5e or CAT6 from the downstairs master socket, internally or externally, to either an RJ11 or RJ45 wall socket and plug your router/modem's DSL connection into that.

You can get internal and external extension kits complete with cable and RJ45 socket here:
    https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/vdslextensionkit30m.html

I did something similar though I didn't end up using one of the above kits. I just got some external grade CAT5e and ran the extension from the master socket in my living room, round the side of the house and into the cupboard under our stairs where I have my network equipment and terminated the extension on a port on my patch panel, and plugged my DSL modem into that.

Its a fairly simple job, just be careful when putting in the cable clips that you don't crush the CAT5e cable and don't bend it around corners too sharply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,294Posts Today

6,541Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted to see the House of Lords taking up to cudgels to fight the disgraceful retrospective hike in student loa? https://t.co/buXWSlgXoj

• RT @politicshome: Cabinet splits on foreign students re-emerge as Amber Rudd admits there are 'differing views' https://t.co/XYivypL5Cc htt?

• For me capping the number of legitimate foreign Uni students is a mistake. Its one of our strong exports & boosts UK soft power around world

• Follow Martin