Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • book12
    • By book12 8th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    • 2,485Posts
    • 551Thanks
    book12
    Future cards 3 digit ccc numbers with digital display
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:40 PM
    Future cards 3 digit ccc numbers with digital display 8th Oct 16 at 9:40 PM
    In the future, debit/credit cards 3 digit cvv numbers will change every hour on a digital display - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37585247

Oberthur and Gemalto (card makers) are doing this.
Page 1
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 17,308 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    How is that going to work with anyone you have a recurring payment authority with, anyone you save your card details with, online stores that don't take payment immediately..............?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 8th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    How is that going to work with anyone you have a recurring payment authority with, anyone you save your card details with, online stores that don't take payment immediately..............?
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    They don't use the CVV number. CVV numbers can't be stored, they can only be used for immediate payments.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 8th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    Won't make a difference, as they are not allowed to store the code anyway.

The only thing that will change is people won't be able to memorise their own 3 digit code.
    • mt99
    • By mt99 9th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    mt99
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    numbers
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    I scratch the numbers off the back of all my cards (write them down at home in case I do online shopping) so if I ever lose my card/wallet the cards can't be used.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 17,308 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    They don't use the CVV number. CVV numbers can't be stored, they can only be used for immediate payments.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Why do they always ask for them then?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Hellzapoppin
    • By Hellzapoppin 9th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Hellzapoppin
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    Why do they always ask for them then?
    With a recurring transaction, the CVV validated the first payment and therefore all subsequent payments are made under the same authority. The CVV is not compulsory anyway, some major websites don't use it (iirc Amazon, for example).
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 9th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 11,107 Posts
    • 9,123 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    I scratch the numbers off the back of all my cards (write them down at home in case I do online shopping) so if I ever lose my card/wallet the cards can't be used.
    Originally posted by mt99
    Why do you think it "can't be used?" The CVV is only ever used for CNP transactions (not face to face) and even some CNP retailers don't use it (eg Amazon as above). You've probably violated the bank's T&C's by defacing their card and definitely by writing down the CVV number.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 9th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    20aday
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    Why do you think it "can't be used?" The CVV is only ever used for CNP transactions (not face to face) and even some CNP retailers don't use it (eg Amazon as above). You've probably violated the bank's T&C's by defacing their card and definitely by writing down the CVV number.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Am I right in thinking under the signature strip it reads 'Void' multiple times?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • mt99
    • By mt99 9th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    mt99
    cvc
    The cvv is scratched off. It can still be used chip and pin. It just cannot be used for online transactions where the cvv is required. There is nothing in the T and C about removing cvv number or writing it down.
    Last edited by mt99; 09-10-2016 at 1:23 PM.
    • mt99
    • By mt99 9th Oct 16, 1:22 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    mt99
    @20aday - don't know, I've never removed the signature strip
    • Djene
    • By Djene 10th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Djene
    Could this be the end for free replacement cards from Banks ? With this feature included in cards, I feel some banks would start charging a fee for replacing lost or damaged cards.

I know a few banks such as Airdrie Savings Banks & Bank of China UK that's already charge a fee for replacing cards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,948Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter