Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • goonerjon
    • By goonerjon 8th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    goonerjon
    Solicitor closure
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    Solicitor closure 8th Oct 16 at 9:29 PM
    Hi all
    Approx 3 months ago our solicitor was closed down suddenly by the Solicitor Regulation Authority (SRA) without warning. The solicitor in question had been dealing with the sale of my mothers home following the death of my father a year ago. My mother now lives abroad and so I am dealing with all the affairs in regards to the sale of her property. Anyway, there were a couple of sales that fell through before our solicitor was closed down and suddenly out of the blue I have received a bill for £400 ish for services conducted on those sales that were never completed prior to closure. Immediately after our solicitors closure, a sale has progressed but it has caused us no end of headaches to sort out all the required information etc (items were missing or took a long time to be retrieved) and more costs with a new solicitor. My question is where do I stand with the bill I have received from the closed solicitor? The letter has instructed me to pay the relevant intervening agent which will hold funds for the SRA (another local solicitor). The additional work and costs I have incurred as a result of the sudden closure makes this additional bill hard to swallow. What happens if I ignore it? Do I have to pay it? Any thoughts appreciated.
    JB
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 8,469 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    Some solicitors will charge for work done on abortive sales. There may also be disbursements. Did you have a written contract with the solicitor and were there terms and conditions.

Contact whoever sent you the bill and say you dispute it. Don't just ignore it.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 51,336 Posts
    • 43,178 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    suddenly out of the blue I have received a bill for £400 ish for services conducted on those sales that were never completed prior to closure.
    Originally posted by goonerjon
    Would you expect to work for free? If you instructed the solicitor to undertake work then reasonable you should foot the bill. Take out VAT and the remaining balance is only a few hours work.
    “A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against ‘a rainy day’.”
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    You'll be liable for whatever you would have been had the solicitor simply decided to stop acting for you. If you've incurred expense due to the papers etc not being handed over promptly then I would say that's reasonable to deduct from the fee (and is it all fees or does it include disbursements?).
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 9th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 4,870 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    It's reasonable to query the bill and to ask for a breakdown.

If it more, or less, than you were originally quoted?

Have you already received/ paid a further bill from the firm which took over?

Did you make any complaint about the delays / problems arising from the firms's closure?

In your position, I would look at the total amount that you've been billed, by both forms, and how that compares with the original quote you were given. If it is more, then raise it with the solicitors and request that they limit the total amount to whatever you were originally quoted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,690Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter