Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Justpaul67
    • By Justpaul67 8th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Justpaul67
    Problem with insurance company
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    Problem with insurance company 8th Oct 16 at 9:14 PM
    Hello. Can anyone help with the following ?

Two years ago I changed car but continued my insurance with the insurer of my old car. Shortly after (October 2014) I received a fixed penalty notice for speeding. I did not tell my insurer at the time and neglected to do so at renewal last year.

This year I shopped around before checking against the the renewal offer and got a better deal. I rang my insurer to see if they would drop their price. During the conversation I disclosed the fixed penalty notice from 2014. At this became somewhat excited. To cut a long story short, even though my insurance has now lapsed., and I have now gone elsewhere, they say I owe them additional premiums for the undisclosed fixed penalty notice and are dropping hints abut taking action to recover it if I refuse to pay within 14 days . I made no claims during the period I was insured with them.

Are they entitled to this premium ?
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 8th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    Hello. Can anyone help with the following ?

Two years ago I changed car but continued my insurance with the insurer of my old car. Shortly after (October 2014) I received a fixed penalty notice for speeding. I did not tell my insurer at the time and neglected to do so at renewal last year.

This year I shopped around before checking against the the renewal offer and got a better deal. I rang my insurer to see if they would drop their price. During the conversation I disclosed the fixed penalty notice from 2014. At this became somewhat excited. To cut a long story short, even though my insurance has now lapsed., and I have now gone elsewhere, they say I owe them additional premiums for the undisclosed fixed penalty notice and are dropping hints abut taking action to recover it if I refuse to pay within 14 days . I made no claims during the period I was insured with them.

Are they entitled to this premium ?
    Originally posted by Justpaul67
    Yes. You didn't tell them about a material fact. That'd be known as 'fraud'.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 8th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    Yes they are. It's in the small print of almost all insuravce policies.
    • maddogb
    • By maddogb 9th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    maddogb
    • 9th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 12:17 AM
    Really can't see it standing up legally, too many ifs and buts might be worth a call to a legal helpline of you have one available.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Oct 16, 1:09 AM
    • 8,687 Posts
    • 9,751 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:09 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:09 AM
    If you don't pay them, then unless it's a great deal of money it's unlikely that they will take legal action to recover the extra premium that they say you owe but there is something that they can do that will be far more expensive for you.

That is for them to put a note on the insurance database stating that you failed to disclose a material fact both at the time you accepted the fixed penalty and also when renewing your insurance policy.
    Any insurer will see this as soon as you apply for a new policy and it will probably lead to either higher quotes or them declining to insure you at all.

Did you also "forget" to tell your present insurers about your FPN?
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 9th Oct 16, 1:34 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    jobdone1
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:34 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:34 AM
    Legal action haha you knowingly failed to disclose a material fact thus benefiting from a lower premium that you was not entitled to. You where and are a higher risk hence why they can and will chase you for the additional premium. Next time try not to attempt to defraud the insurance companies
    • Justpaul67
    • By Justpaul67 9th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Justpaul67
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:08 PM
    All;

Thanks for the responses. Problem resolved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,262Posts Today

7,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin