Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tillylou
    • By tillylou 8th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 9Thanks
    tillylou
    Eye injury in a shop - can I claim?
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    Eye injury in a shop - can I claim? 8th Oct 16 at 8:18 PM
    A brief version of the story - I was trying on some sunglasses in a large store, and the security wire that they are attached to the stand with was loose and had a large bare wire sticking out at the end near the lenses. I did not see this and when I put the glasses on, the wire went straight into my eye. I had my 2 year old granddaughter with me at the time and was not offered a seat, a drink, nothing, and the incident had really made me feel quite nauseous.

An accident report was filed and I went in to see the stores optician who sent me straight to a&e. By the time I was out of the opticians, they had tightened up every security wire but I did take a photo before they did this. I have since been to a&e twice - once because the pressure in my eye was high, and the second time because of a suspected infection.

I would just like to know if and how I can make a claim for this as I really feel that this was a completely negligent accident.

Thank you
Page 2
    • bris
    • By bris 9th Oct 16, 1:34 AM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 5,120 Thanks
    bris
    Are you now blind in this eye? I will hazard a guess at no any you have made a full recovery. You can try and make a complaint which will result in a £10 good will gift voucher, if you want more then off to the courts you go but without any lasting damage no one will be interested in taking this on for you and your claim will be small.
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 9th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Laz123
    Were you aware of the loose wire when you tried on the glasses?
    Originally posted by boliston
    You should have gone to Specsavers.

Plus the OP couldn't see the wire for the very reason they needed glasses in the first place.
    I like life. It's something to do.

Ronnie Shakes
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Oct 16, 9:08 AM
    • 31,511 Posts
    • 26,186 Thanks
    custardy
    As someone who has suffered a similar eye injury.
    not fun and very painful. However how did you manage to take a picture of the wire?
    When I had my injury I could barely force my eye open,2 weeks later I was still sitting in dark rooms with sunglasses Roy Orbison would have been proud to wear.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 9th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    steampowered
    Are you now blind in this eye? I will hazard a guess at no any you have made a full recovery. You can try and make a complaint which will result in a £10 good will gift voucher, if you want more then off to the courts you go but without any lasting damage no one will be interested in taking this on for you and your claim will be small.
    Originally posted by bris
    Personally I think an incident that causes someone a great deal of pain to their eye and requires multiple trips to the hospital is worth more than a £10 goodwill voucher.
    • DeathMuffin
    • By DeathMuffin 9th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DeathMuffin
    "I lost a finger! Can I claim?"
    "Don't bother, you don't need them all"
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 5,665 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Personally I think an incident that causes someone a great deal of pain to their eye and requires multiple trips to the hospital is worth more than a £10 goodwill voucher.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    I tend to agree. I don't agree with the whole compo culture we have nowadays but this isn't exactly a case of "oops I stubbed my toe in a shop how do I take them to the cleaners". This could have been very serious indeed.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 8,470 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    a claim is not just abt compensation it is abt making sure does not happen to someone else who might not be so lucky and could end up being blinded.
    Originally posted by aaroncaz
    You can never make sure that this won't happen to someone else. Even with the best staff training, you may still get a lazy or negligent employee who fails to do their job properly. In any case I would imagine that after this incident, the store has made its staff aware that the security wires need to be kept tightened.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 9th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 14,890 Posts
    • 13,133 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    TBH, I can't see the OP winning any claim they make for this eye injury...
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 14,587 Posts
    • 10,380 Thanks
    hollydays
    You can never make sure that this won't happen to someone else. Even with the best staff training, you may still get a lazy or negligent employee who fails to do their job properly. In any case I would imagine that after this incident, the store has made its staff aware that the security wires need to be kept tightened.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Op it would maybe help your case if you could find out some more information about the security device, I'm guessing it may have had a brand name on it somewhere.

Then you could look it up online and find out how it's meant to be maintained.

I know sunglasses are high risk for theft , and they are hard to protect, but using a device with WIRES on a product that goes near the eyes does not seem in any way a good choice.

If it's possible a customer in trying to steal them had exposed the wires , it seems a very big and dangerous flaw in the design, and one that needs highlighting.i think emphasising this is your best way forward.Personally I've never seen this product.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 9th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 10,212 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Originally posted by steampowered
    While I agree in the circumstances more than £10 should be offered without a doubt, I think bris was just pointing out that given OP has mentioned no time off work/lost earnings or lasting damage, the damages awarded would be nominal and would require the OP either to pay a solicitor from their own pocket or proceed without one. A law reform now means you can no longer claim legal costs from the defendant - now instead the costs are paid by the claimant from any damages awarded to them - capped at 25%. Which means unless there is a claim for substantial amount of damages, no solicitor will be interested.

However theres no rush to make a claim and certainly its sometimes advisable to wait until you at least know the extent of the injuries. Because once you make a claim, you can't then claim again if your injury turns out to be more extensive than you first though.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 9th Oct 16, 5:51 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    naedanger
    A brief version of the story - I was trying on some sunglasses in a large store, and the security wire that they are attached to the stand with was loose and had a large bare wire sticking out at the end near the lenses. I did not see this and when I put the glasses on, the wire went straight into my eye. I had my 2 year old granddaughter with me at the time and was not offered a seat, a drink, nothing, and the incident had really made me feel quite nauseous.

An accident report was filed and I went in to see the stores optician who sent me straight to a&e. By the time I was out of the opticians, they had tightened up every security wire but I did take a photo before they did this. I have since been to a&e twice - once because the pressure in my eye was high, and the second time because of a suspected infection.

I would just like to know if and how I can make a claim for this as I really feel that this was a completely negligent accident.

Thank you
    Originally posted by tillylou
    The following website (which just came up on google) suggests:

"Minor eye injuries – last for a few weeks with no permanent symptoms: £1,450 – £2,600"

http://www.firstpersonalinjury.co.uk/guides/much-compensation-eye-injury/

Personally I would be very wary of using no win, no fee solicitors. For example the firm I have linked to say - "In limited circumstances, fees may be charged when your accident claim is not successful."
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 10th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    Laz123

Thank you
    Originally posted by tillylou
    The OP was trying on sunglasses, there is nothing in their first post to suggest she has sight problems. Perhaps it's you that needs your eyes testing, or just to read posts properly before making pointless comments?
    Originally posted by Bogalot
    Were you aware of the loose wire when you tried on the glasses?
    Originally posted by boliston

Pointless comments? Kettle, pot, black, calling, Mr Grumpy.
    I like life. It's something to do.

Ronnie Shakes
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 10,212 Posts
    • 7,372 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Pointless comments? Kettle, pot, black, calling, Mr Grumpy.
    Originally posted by Laz123
    Are those two posters the same person? Or does bolistons comment have some other relevance to bogalots?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

456Posts Today

3,387Users online

Martin's Twitter