Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 1,957Posts
    • 3,183Thanks
    moneysaver12
    Would you be concerned re hs2
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    Would you be concerned re hs2 8th Oct 16 at 7:54 PM
    Hi we have been looking at a house to buy.

My concern is that the hs2 when built will be 800 metres away from the house.

Also on the same street there are three houses up for sale which have been part exchanged with a builder.

Same builder has also bought a house on the next street for part exchange

Have discovered that it's ging to be 450 metres away from the track and 500 metres from the depot
    Last edited by moneysaver12; 08-10-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Married 09/09/09
Page 2
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 9th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    The current owners said 800 metres. I got in touch with someone who lives on the next street who said 450. I'm going to contact some one I know who actually lives on the street.
    Married 09/09/09
    • e13
    • By e13 9th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    e13
    The current owners said 800 metres. I got in touch with someone who lives on the next street who said 450. I'm going to contact some one I know who actually lives on the street.
    Originally posted by moneysaver12
    Maybe check here: https://www.gov.uk/check-hs2-route

As then you'd be getting the info straight from the horse's mouth?
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 9th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    lewisa
    As e13 says check the maps.

The full route is available on OS style maps which as well as show the route give its elevation/depth, speed, etc.

If you arent confident reading maps let us know the street/ post code.
    • mistajase
    • By mistajase 9th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mistajase
    My home will be blighted by the hs2 (approx 150 meters away)

Route maps for the hs2 are not accurate and out of date - and hs2 do not release information if it's not in the public's best interests ( they do not like bad press ) even with a freedom of information request

Hs2 are a dreadful company to get any kind of information from - they don't even bother sending letters out to those effected ( but insist they have - total rubbish)

I knows it not want you need to hear - we fear were going to have 30-40% wiped of the value of our house and will receive about 8% in compensation.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 9th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    I have tried to read the maps but I'm not very good at map reading. It's white court wf4 1tb
    Married 09/09/09
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 3,879 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I reckon about 400m at the closest point, but it is mostly going to be in cuttings (apart from where it crosses over the A638, which is about 550m away). The depot is much further away.

I mean, you'll probably be able to hear the trains, if you're listening out for them, but it's not as if your crockery is going to be shaken off the shelves...
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 9th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    Thank you David. It's hard to know what to do for the best. All of the village is going to be affected. Also trying to figure out if the house is worth the price.
    Married 09/09/09
    • Adereterial
    • By Adereterial 9th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    Adereterial
    I grew up living less than 100 metres from the mainline route from London to Birmingham Snow Hill. You get used to the noise - my now husband came to visit and as he was arriving one of the many long freight trains was passing - the line was parallel to the road (in a cutting) so the noise lasted a while - he was shocked that I wasn't bothered by the noise - I'd almost tuned it out.
    • Shopper1
    • By Shopper1 9th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shopper1
    Don't even think about it
    HS2 is going to cause havoc. Our home is near the deep Euston railway cutting and HS2's plans have made it clear much of the London Borough of Camden will be affected by noise, construction traffic and dust, to the point that it's uninhabitable. In addition there'll be ground vibration that may or may not affect properties.

Camden residents have found HS2 very difficult to deal with, so don't expect any real mitigation from them.

I'd be very wary-you say the whole village will be affected, and after trying to deal with HS2 for the last six years, I'd say don't touch any property near it with a bargepole. If there is a problem and you want to move you may find there's no market for affected properties.

Good luck.
    • timbotambo
    • By timbotambo 10th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    timbotambo

The Phase 1 route (London to Birmingham) is set in stone now and about to become a legal Act of Parliament. The Phase 2 and 2a route will be some time until the route is 100% fixed so you are correct to be concerned.

That postcode though is near a spur, not the main route. There is also an existing rail line between the route and the property so well protected. The main concern should be if the north south route changes but given the number of urban settlements north and south of the postcode then that’s unlikely. Contrary to some comments, HS2 have always been open, helpful and forthcoming with information so is worth contacting them. They are trying to deliver something which enormously affects a lot of people so clearly no matter what they do they are going to get a lot of stick. They are just a normal bunch of people with a tough job to do so I find it best to work with them, not against then.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 10th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    Thank you tim
    Married 09/09/09
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,847Posts Today

6,562Users online

Martin's Twitter