Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    • 1,957Posts
    • 3,183Thanks
    moneysaver12
    Would you be concerned re hs2
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:54 PM
    Would you be concerned re hs2 8th Oct 16 at 7:54 PM
    Hi we have been looking at a house to buy.

My concern is that the hs2 when built will be 800 metres away from the house.

Also on the same street there are three houses up for sale which have been part exchanged with a builder.

Same builder has also bought a house on the next street for part exchange

Have discovered that it's ging to be 450 metres away from the track and 500 metres from the depot
    Last edited by moneysaver12; 08-10-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Married 09/09/09
Page 1
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    boliston
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    I would like to live near hs2 and have a good view of the trains as they speed past
    • yoshiyella
    • By yoshiyella 8th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    yoshiyella
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    Hi we have been looking at a house to buy.

My concern is that the hs2 when built will be 800 metres away from the house.

Also on the same street there are three houses up for sale which have been part exchanged with a builder.

Same builder has also bought a house on the next street for part exchange
    Originally posted by moneysaver12
    That is almost half a mile away!! No concern at all!
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    Think my little boy would agree with you boliston .
    Married 09/09/09
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 8th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    That is almost half a mile away!! No concern at all!
    Originally posted by yoshiyella
    As long as you are absolutely sure they don't plan to move it by say half a mile.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    boliston
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    As long as you are absolutely sure they don't plan to move it by say half a mile.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    I would be worried that if it were a full mile away I might not be able to hear it so well.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    It was going to be further away. But the route was changed in July. Making it closer. Think Im concerned as well with so many people part exchanging to move in to the new houses in the same village .
    Married 09/09/09
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 8th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    lewisa
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    We are in the area near the Manchester Ship Canal which is arguably the worst affected area for HS2 due to the viaduct required to span it.

Would I buy in Rixton, a village which will be immediately next to a 30 metre viaduct?.... no.

Would I buy 800 metres from Rixton.... yes.

If the property you are considering is 800 mtr from a place where HS2 is either in a cutting or on level land then it wouldnt even enter my head as a concern.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 8th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    I would be worried that if it were a full mile away I might not be able to hear it so well.
    Originally posted by boliston
    I stayed next to HS1 near Stratford for some time in 2012. The trains do sound great, but I wouldn't necessarily want it in my garden.
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 8th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 1,310 Posts
    • 1,695 Thanks
    Twopints
    It's not necessarily the railway and trains that are the main problem, it's the years of construction required and the impact of hundreds of lorry movements on local roads and villages / towns e.g. removing spoil when creating tunnels or cuttings.
    Not even wrong
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 6,400 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    .... and the number of local roads that will be sliced in half, leaving a few others as triple-trafic rat-runs...

I'd have to be reasonably convinced the price I would be paying had taken most of the potential drop. The noise and irritation of the endless build would concern me.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 9:05 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    The village where we are wanting to move to is where my boys go to school. Currently we live nearly 4 miles from school.
    Married 09/09/09
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Oct 16, 9:13 PM
    • 26,308 Posts
    • 15,812 Thanks
    getmore4less
    It's not necessarily the railway and trains that are the main problem, it's the years of construction required and the impact of hundreds of lorry movements on local roads and villages / towns e.g. removing spoil when creating tunnels or cuttings.
    Originally posted by Twopints
    The problems are starting already as construction related traffic is just turning up in some places.
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 8th Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    lewisa
    The problems are starting already as construction related traffic is just turning up in some places.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Perfect time to buy then.

There are villages near me where previously you would never see a for sale sign let alone have any chance buying there.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Oct 16, 9:32 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 6,400 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    The village where we are wanting to move to is where my boys go to school. Currently we live nearly 4 miles from school.
    I know I'm going to sound like a character from "Last of the Summer Wine", but I walked or cycled three miles to Primary School for 3 years. Do you really need to move?

It may be a sensible move... But, you are moving closer to an uncertain situation, and I'd want to be reasonably sure HS2 wasn't going to be the bane of my life. Or, that my mindset wouldn't make it so.

That's a personal choice. The ability to resell without huge loss is more calculable. That's what I'd want to know.

Off for my pint of mild, and to grumble about everything... youth of today, too many TV channels..…. Oh to be young! Harumph.

I would tread carefully if moving (my young family) toward a 'situation' ... Wouldn't not do it, but would tread very, very carefully.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    At the moment we are renting. We have been given the chance to be able to buy a house. I have looked for houses to buy where we are but there is nothing suitable I have looked at the two villages that are not as far from my children's school and they are expensive. Then I have looked at a village that would be just less than 4 miles from school and there is some houses there.

It's do we risk it and move nearer the school or move just less than four miles from school. Currently we are just less than four miles from school. I don't mind the drive, it is down country roads so doesnt take long. Whereas the other village that is similar distance from school would mean driving on main roads.
    Married 09/09/09
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    davidmcn
    .... and the number of local roads that will be sliced in half, leaving a few others as triple-trafic rat-runs...

I'd have to be reasonably convinced the price I would be paying had taken most of the potential drop. The noise and irritation of the endless build would concern me.
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Should be easy enough to check the detail of this though given that the route is known - maybe not the exact effect of construction work but the OP could take an educated guess.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 8th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 9,660 Posts
    • 17,066 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Remember all the fuss when they built HS1? All those little villages not wanting it anywhere near them, while French towns were campaigning for it to come to them. Now you barely notice it, and even villages right next to it are stupidly expensive to buy in. Now could be a good time to find a long term bargain.
    Proud to be filthier than anyone else.
    • moneysaver12
    • By moneysaver12 8th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    moneysaver12
    Just discovered that it's going to be 450 metres away rather than 800. Also the depot is going to be 500 metres away
    Married 09/09/09
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 9th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Just discovered that it's going to be 450 metres away rather than 800. Also the depot is going to be 500 metres away
    You need to be 100% sure how far away it is. In a few hours it's been reduced by half!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,690Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter