Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Whateverrr
    • By Whateverrr 8th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Whateverrr
    Can landlords check if new tenants have previous rent arrears with the local council?
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    Can landlords check if new tenants have previous rent arrears with the local council? 8th Oct 16 at 5:42 PM
    I have rent arrears (owed to my local council) and I may be moving in to a new flat. I will be paying off these arrears but not before it comes to the time of the viewing/moving in.

Will the new landlord/housing association be able to find out that I have rent arrears with the council (without asking me)?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I'll help some other members on here so as not to be taking and not giving!
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    referencing, CCJ from council?
    • Whateverrr
    • By Whateverrr 8th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whateverrr
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    There's no CCJ, just £600 in unpaid rent! I'm wondering whether the new landlord can find this out by asking the council!

I don't know what referencing is, maybe this is what I'm talking about.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    No, the council aren't going to release information without your consent. But your new landlord may well expect you to get a reference from the council.
    • Whateverrr
    • By Whateverrr 8th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whateverrr
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    Thank you very much! You rock.
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 8th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 16,315 Posts
    • 36,131 Thanks
    marksoton
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    There's no CCJ, just £600 in unpaid rent!
    Originally posted by Whateverrr
    Well unless you address the later the former won't continue to be the case....
    Change the bloody locks!
    • Whateverrr
    • By Whateverrr 8th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Whateverrr
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    Well unless you address the later the former won't continue to be the case....
    Originally posted by marksoton
    * runs away *
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    OP pay your dues, we all have to, why are you special? Hope you get what you deserve , good luck
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 9th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 8,349 Posts
    • 10,902 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    I have rent arrears (owed to my local council) and I may be moving in to a new flat. I will be paying off these arrears but not before it comes to the time of the viewing/moving in.....
    Originally posted by Whateverrr
    Sincerely hope the council are taking vigorous measures to recover the debt. So you owe to the council: Who do you think pays for that until you do/if you don't? Yes, it's the rest of us taxpayers: Please respect those good old British traditions of decency & fair play & pay up, promptly....
    ...Will the new landlord/housing association be able to find out that I have rent arrears with the council (without asking me)?......
    Possibly: If you look at this from Experian
    http://www.experian.co.uk/rental-exchange/tenants.html
    ..they say...
    If you are a social housing tenant, your landlord can provide your rental payment record to Experian on a regular basis.
    - so maybe certainly housing association will: I have a feeling some HAs & councils cross-check tenants between them, certainly taking up references: They certainly bleedin' well should to prevent scarce, cheaper, housing being wasted on the undeserving: (I make no comment on you yourself necessarily being one of the undeserving cheating bilkers...),

Are you perhaps being evicted for rent arrears or has there been a court case regarding you failing to pay as you contractually agreed to?

Best regards

And it's quite possible
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 9th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 1,406 Thanks
    TheGardener
    Who do you think pays for that until you do/if you don't? Yes, it's the rest of us taxpayers:
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    Actually - as most Council housing bodies are now self funded housing companies/associations - I think (I could be wrong - there are lots of different structures now) you may find that it is the many council tenants who don't get housing benefit who are covering the shortfall - not the general 'tax payer'
    If its a case that there is arrears because benefits were not due and were not paid - then I can't see where the 'tax payer' comes into it.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 09-10-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 9th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 5,389 Posts
    • 6,084 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    OP pay your dues, we all have to, why are you special? Hope you get what you deserve , good luck
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    To be fair to the OP they have said they are paying the arrears back so not running from it.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 9th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 2,560 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    csgohan4
    To be fair to the OP they have said they are paying the arrears back so not running from it.
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    They will pay back but haven't started to pay back, intentions and actual action in this case differ
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,687Posts Today

8,546Users online

Martin's Twitter