Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 8th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 721Posts
    • 181Thanks
    Removal Men or Self Move?
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    Removal Men or Self Move? 8th Oct 16 at 2:57 PM
    We're buying a house that's about 1.3 miles away. Last time we moved we just did it ourselves in cars except the fridge, washer and dryer. This time we've already decided if we're moving it ourselves we need to hire a van.

Do we seek out removal men to do it for us, or just do it ourselves qwith a hired van?
Page 2
    • Phirefly
    • By Phirefly 9th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    We're also in rented with a 10 day overlap, and are moving two streets down in the same village. For me, unless one is extremely hard up or has next to no stuff, professional removals are almost essential, not least for the reasons Doozergirl and Hazyjo states. Our removal company is staggering the move for no extra cost. It actually suits them too to do the garden, garage and sheds on one day then the main packing another day then the bulk of the move the day after that. They are being very flexible and it's costing less than £900 to pack and move a 3 bed house with lots of garden furniture and full garage (bikes, chest freezer etc) which I think represents excellent value especially versus my daily rate as a contractor myself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,272Posts Today

7,785Users online

Martin's Twitter