Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 8th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 737Posts
    • 202Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    Removal Men or Self Move?
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    Removal Men or Self Move? 8th Oct 16 at 2:57 PM
    We're buying a house that's about 1.3 miles away. Last time we moved we just did it ourselves in cars except the fridge, washer and dryer. This time we've already decided if we're moving it ourselves we need to hire a van.

Do we seek out removal men to do it for us, or just do it ourselves qwith a hired van?
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 8th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:11 PM
    removal men, well worth it,
    • marksoton
    • By marksoton 8th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 16,306 Posts
    • 36,110 Thanks
    marksoton
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    We're buying a house that's about 1.3 miles away. Last time we moved we just did it ourselves in cars except the fridge, washer and dryer. This time we've already decided if we're moving it ourselves we need to hire a van.

Do we seek out removal men to do it for us, or just do it ourselves qwith a hired van?
    Originally posted by ultimatedingbat
    Amount of gear, how many rooms you moving?
    Change the bloody locks!
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 8th Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 30,253 Posts
    • 35,814 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    Done both , removal men for sure
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 8th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 13,394 Posts
    • 118,166 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    Yep, another vote for removal men. Perhaps we could do it ourselves but it 'd be like saving dental bills by drilling and filling our own teeth.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 8th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    If you've only got a small amount of stuff I guess it might not make much difference. When we had smaller houses/were moving locally we always hired a self drive van for the move.

These days our moves tend to be long distance. We're also very big on DIY - have restored several period houses to their former glory - and thought we'd try DIYing our removals on our last-but-one move in 2011 after the previous one cost us in excess of £4k (yep, we have serious amounts of stuff, lol!), but tbh it wasn't worth it, either financially or physically

Next move - 2014 - we reverted back to removal guys. The extra expense was well worth it imho!
    Last edited by phoebe1989seb; 08-10-2016 at 3:55 PM.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 8th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    IT's our first bought house but we've lived together for 3 years now so have a fair bit of stuff. 2 bedroom house with a living room and kitchen as well as a shed with some stuff in.
    There's alot more stuff this time as we actually have a sofa! The boxes are mounting up already as I've started to pack the non-essentials (books dvd's etc)
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    NicNicP
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:43 PM
    We moved ourselves. We hired a van for £90 and moved ourselves.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    If you have to be out of the house by a certain time on the day then removal men, if not then self removal.
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 8th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    We will be handing in our notice hopefully next month so will ahve to be out by a certain date. However this was the case last time when we moved and we self moved ok
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 8th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    ceh209
    I think it sounds like a self move, especially if you get a few strong mates to help out in return for a few drinks.

We moved into our first bought house ourselves. I would get removal men in future though, as we've added a pool table and granite topped kitchen island since then!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • exiled_red
    • By exiled_red 8th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    exiled_red
    It depends how much stuff you have, I've done a couple of self moves when renting so not had to move a huge amount of furnature, if you have alot of furnature I would get removal men.
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 8th Oct 16, 6:32 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    I'm hoping if we can get our parents involved and siblings thats 8 of us to do it Thanks for the advice guys!
    • Miss Samantha
    • By Miss Samantha 8th Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    Miss Samantha
    How much things do you have? Especially bulky things.
    Then how much would it cost to use removal men? Get quotes if you haven't.
    How much would it be to hire a van? How much effort would it be to move yourself?

It's easier to make an informed decision once you have answer to these questions.
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 8th Oct 16, 7:10 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    We've looked at hiring a van which is between £75 and £125.
    When we moved last time, it cost us £30 but it was literally to move the fridge, the washingf machine and the dryer. Since then we've aquired a sofa, a massive bed, two massive desks, some really tall bookcases etc.
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 8th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    We've looked at hiring a van which is between £75 and £125.
    When we moved last time, it cost us £30 but it was literally to move the fridge, the washingf machine and the dryer. Since then we've aquired a sofa, a massive bed, two massive desks, some really tall bookcases etc.
    Originally posted by ultimatedingbat
    We're doing t ourselves. We got quotes, lowest £836! We have 3 bed house, packing ourselves, dismantling beds etc ourselves and bringing everything down from loft ourselves. No white goods. Moving 5 miles. it's just too much. We can hire a van for less that £200. (Big van)
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Oct 16, 2:18 AM
    • 8,230 Posts
    • 9,979 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I would never dream of doing it myself ever again. I get them in to pack too. Worth EVERY PENNY.

I have quite a lot of stuff. I have no intention of safely wrapping every plate, bowl, glass, spice jar, photo frame, tv, mirror, etc EVER AGAIN. Not in a million. I also have tonnes of books. I was packing for weeks and tbh it was very stressy having to do that after exchange around a full time job and social life! Plus I spent a bloody fortune in packing materials and hated hunting down boxes, most of them different sizes.

Sheer hell.

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Oct 16, 6:55 AM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I've moved most of our stuff myself over the last few weeks, but we're getting a local removals guy with a box van to do the furniture. One trip, £100.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 22,238 Posts
    • 63,074 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It sounds like you've already made up your mind, but we moved ourselves several times until I hurt my back.

Eight years later, it still provides me with regular problems and chiropractor bills. It really isn't worth it. And the ease of having someone just do it when you've already got so much work to do before and after is just one less thing to worry about.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ultimatedingbat
    • By ultimatedingbat 9th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ultimatedingbat
    It's all moe to do with that we've done it before ourselves. I figured the advantage with self move is we can move what we like when we want to. Do it more gradual than all the stuff in one go.

I like Gladgowdan's idea though. Maybe move everything but the big furniture and get a man with a vcan for that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,320Posts Today

6,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin