Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • raddy59
    • By raddy59 8th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    • 228Posts
    • 15Thanks
    raddy59
    Planned development - access road
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:46 PM
    Planned development - access road 8th Oct 16 at 2:46 PM
    This is a long shot I know, but perhaps somebody can advise me?

There is an appliction for a development on the land behind our house - about 90 dwellings.

The proposed access road, running over the existing cycle/foot path,will be roughly 16 metres wide.

My concern, and hence my question, is if this width of access is suitable for a development this size? A builder I once knew told me of a similar situation where an application was refused because it breached the rules governing expected traffic flow and road width (they could have gained access down our road which is only the same width as the proposed route - I suspect it was deemed too narrow?)

I'm not too bothered about the development per se - my major concern is that during the "school run" the roads are jam packed with cars and buses and kids walking and cycling to and from school. A serious major accident is only a matter of time
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 8th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    The proposed access road, running over the existing cycle/foot path,will be roughly 16 metres wide.
    Originally posted by raddy59
    That is wide enough to build one, even two more houses on. Certainly wide enough for a small housing estate.

Got a similar development taking place within sight of my place. Only 70 or so houses with contingency plans for another 30 if the developers can purchase an adjacent plot of land. The access road they are putting in will be half the width of yours.
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

£2 Savers Club (No. 73) - £226 ______ £1 jar - £207
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 22,238 Posts
    • 63,074 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    16 sounds plenty to me.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 8th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    boliston
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    A motorway lane is 3.65m so there would be room for a dual carriageway
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 20,790 Posts
    • 83,687 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    There isn't an access road to our village which is that wide at any point, yet double decker buses and huge farm machines use it, apparently without difficulty.

Even an average commuter in a 4x4 ought to manage with something over 50' wide.
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 22,238 Posts
    • 63,074 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:28 PM
    A motorway lane is 3.65m so there would be room for a dual carriageway
    Originally posted by boliston
    I was thinking along the lines of that. I live on the A38 - one lane each side, cross hatchings and very generous pavement. It's probably that to my opposite neighbour's boundary.
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 9th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 8,422 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    • 9th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 12:11 AM
    That's wider than a 3-lane motorway!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Oct 16, 2:21 AM
    • 20,790 Posts
    • 83,687 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:21 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 2:21 AM
    I expect the OP means the width to include verges and pavement(s.)

They're also right that an increase in the number of people using local roads will produce a corresponding increase in the number of accidents, but that's what one of my more sarcastic teachers used to call, "a shattering glimpse of the obvious."
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 22,238 Posts
    • 63,074 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:59 AM
    I expect the OP means the width to include verges and pavement(s.)

They're also right that an increase in the number of people using local roads will produce a corresponding increase in the number of accidents, but that's what one of my more sarcastic teachers used to call, "a shattering glimpse of the obvious."
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    We once had an objection to a planning application that said that our new driveway would be "at a dangerous 90 degree angle to the road".
    • raddy59
    • By raddy59 10th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    raddy59
    Fact check - 10 yards wide (corrected by a neighbour who gave me an incorrect figure)
    So 30 feet to include 2 pavements, leaving say 20 feet for cars
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 10th Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 4,872 Thanks
    daveyjp
    It won't be feet. Roads are measured in metres.

2m path and 8m road or 2x2m path and 6m road. Depends if a footpath is needed on both sides.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 10th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 11,452 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    These critera seem to be being used for HS2 approach roads...

A.6.3 Rural road widths for diversions should generally match the existing, subject to a minimum of 5.5 metres (the minimum for two cars to pass in safety at low speed). This minimum width shall be increased to 6.0 metres for lengths with occasional use by buses or heavy goods vehicles and 6.8 metres for roads where buses or heavy goods vehicles are likely to pass each other on a regular basis.
    Source
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin