Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 81Thanks
    NicNicP
    Suspicious quote
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:33 PM
    Suspicious quote 8th Oct 16 at 2:33 PM
    One of our neighbours has had their drive block paved. Today we had a man round saying they had leftover material and could do a good price for us if we chose to have the same. He's quoted us £3000 for something that would normally (according to him) cost £5000. My husband is tempted. I'm a little suspicious. Surely a good tradesman either wouldn't over order or would have so much work lined up he could easily use the over ordered stock?
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 8,685 Posts
    • 9,751 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    I've no idea if it's a good price or not but one thing I do know is that I would never get any major work carried out by someone who came knocking on my door touting for business.

If they had any idea what they were doing, they wouldn't have over ordered with enough materials to do another driveway without having a plan in place to either use the surplus or return it back to the builders merchants.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 8th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    • 3,739 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:07 PM
    Your sure it's the people who did the job for the neighbour?
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    NicNicP
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    My thoughts exactly Shaun from Africa. I've not seen this man there although he has the same accent as the other guy who called round touring for business! Personally I'd rather use a local firm and pay more!
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 8th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    How many square metres was the quote for ?

For small areas, a reasonable price would be about £100 per sq metre. For bigger areas (say over 100 sq m), around £75.

But if this guy has over ordered on materials doing next door, what else has he cocked up on. e.g. Is the hardcore base thick enough and well compacted. Has drainage been included (important if the area is impervious and large). Will he come back and sort out any area that sink. And so on.
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

£2 Savers Club (No. 73) - £226 ______ £1 jar - £207
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    Never get jobs done by door knockers. End of.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 8th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    Accent as in Irish traveller? Sorry if it;s racist etc, but there's loads round her with genuine looking freephone numbers on their (untaxed) vans but are usually bodge it and scarper types as often seen on Watchdog
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    NicNicP
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    Accent as in Irish traveller? Sorry if it;s racist etc, but there's loads round her with genuine looking freephone numbers on their (untaxed) vans but are usually bodge it and scarper types as often seen on Watchdog
    Originally posted by flashg67
    Yes. That was my thought too but also didn't want to be called racist, etc.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 8th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 9,707 Posts
    • 14,963 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. My poor old dad fell for an identical scam and the drive had to be re-done within six months as they just dumped loose chippings on it!
    Last edited by Bogof_Babe; 08-10-2016 at 6:28 PM.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    NicNicP
    Thank you everyone. I can now argue with back up!
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 8th Oct 16, 7:27 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Risteard
    Accent as in Irish traveller?
    Originally posted by flashg67
    That was my reading of it. I have to say that the Travellers are actually very fine people.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    NicNicP
    My reference to them having the same accent was to suggest they were probably from the same firm as we don't have many Irish unknown to locals in the small town where I live. The fact they could be Irish travellers doesn't bother me, just it seemed a bit suspicious to be offering such a cheap quote from a firm not local to where I live. Sure travellers are very fine people. I love watching the gypsy programmes on the tv!
    Last edited by NicNicP; 08-10-2016 at 8:30 PM.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 8th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 3,352 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    robatwork
    Husbands like yours are the reason these conmen carry on with their scams!

It's nonsense whatever accent they speak with - just ask them for some references of places they have done recently and check for signs of agitation.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 9th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 7,639 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    patman99
    On the other hand, it could just be feasible that they managed to get a good deal on the pavers but only by buying the whole lot.

My son occassionnally helps his mate doing gardening and the gardener had to lay some turf. The supplier offered him the entire remains of his stock for £20. I now have a load of it round my mums after I purchased the surplus off him. Having used what I want, I have enough left to sell-on at a nice profit.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    On the other hand, it could just be feasible that they managed to get a good deal on the pavers but only by buying the whole lot.

My son occassionnally helps his mate doing gardening and the gardener had to lay some turf. The supplier offered him the entire remains of his stock for £20. I now have a load of it round my mums after I purchased the surplus off him. Having used what I want, I have enough left to sell-on at a nice profit.
    Originally posted by patman99
    You know turf only lasts a few days rolled up? You'd better get selling if you want that tidy profit!
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 9th Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    Grenage
    Yeah it doesn't last very long, you'll probably end up with a lot of neatly rolled topsoil.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,018Posts Today

7,141Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin