Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 8th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 2,237Posts
    • 1,671Thanks
    no1catman
    Dreamies - addictive?
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    Dreamies - addictive? 8th Oct 16 at 2:12 PM
    I wonder if they is a 'magic' ingredient in Dreamies that cats find they can't get enough of!?

Do cats just like Dreamies or can they become addicted to them, and if so how long before the next fix?

My cat won't go out of the cat-flap yet, so if she goes downstairs I need to go down to (in the past if ignored she'd start scratching the furniture), often to wake me up - the stair carpet 'gets it'!
    Lately, she decides 'out' is not what she wants, instead it's Dreamies! 'No, no Dreamies upstairs' - Thursday morning it happened five times - I was not happy!! Friday only once, this morning three times - but the last one she went out.
    In the summer she went out all the time - it was cooler, now she has second thoughts.
    Fortunately, she comes in through the cat-flap.
    Previously, she used to come and go through the bedroom window, but since the roof below was changed to slates and after rain she slide down to the gutter - she's got phobic about doing it!!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 8th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 687 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    Have you tried them yourself ?
    I find that they are quite salty, which could be the magic ingredient.

My cat gets fed no more than half a dozen at a time, and only a few days each week. I don't use them as a meal supplement or as a bribe (reward for good behaviour).
    So many cats, so few good recipes.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

£2 Savers Club (No. 73) - £226 ______ £1 jar - £207
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Oct 16, 1:44 AM
    • 5,842 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:44 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:44 AM
    Animals like treats just like humans do, but this doesn't mean that they are addicted to treats.

My dogs will steal an empty treats packet; not because they are addicted, but because they like the treats and are greedy. I've only ever had one dog who was indifferent to treats (he was never very eager about food , anyway) and he was worked in formal obedience, praise being the only reward he wanted.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 9th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 9,230 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    My cat is keen enough for Dreamies but if the treats on offer are Felix Goody Bag she is much keener.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Oct 16, 1:54 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:54 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:54 AM
    Junk food for cats. No wonder pet obesity is also on the increase!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 5,842 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    Junk food for cats. No wonder pet obesity is also on the increase!
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    That's more likely because they are fed scraps as well as their normal food, then have too little exercise.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 11th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 7,697 Posts
    • 11,227 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    My cats loved Dreamies when they first came out but it seemed is was just a fad for about 6 months and they've not been interested in them since.
    • Haffiana
    • By Haffiana 11th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Haffiana
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    I have never seen the point of them, myself. Cats don't need treats. They are for humans really, aren't they? So humans feel 'good' (or whatever) giving them to their cats? That is what is addictive surely?
    • Rev
    • By Rev 11th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,672 Thanks
    Rev
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    I lost my 17 year old cat a few months back. She was obsessed with dreamies.

I had to keep them in a draw and if I so much as left that draw a hair open shemd manage to open it.

I couldn't count the amount of times I'd come home to find an empty ripped bag of dreamies.

And no she was never over weight. She weighed 4lb the day she was spayed at 10 months and she weighed 4.1lb the day she died age 17.

My other cat has never been interested in treats at all.
    Sigless
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 11th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 11,273 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    Tomcat has just discovered tescos own

OH MY GOD

He gets the huge eyes and actually begs for them, he liked dreamies and goody bags well enough but loves these.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Oct 16, 12:23 AM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    That's more likely because they are fed scraps as well as their normal food, then have too little exercise.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    My cats never received any of these junk food treats and all lived well into their 20s despite never seeing a vet, other than to be castrated/spayed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,742Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter