Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnxiousHomemaker
    • By AnxiousHomemaker 8th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 126Thanks
    AnxiousHomemaker
    Please Help... Debt's getting out of control :(
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    Please Help... Debt's getting out of control :( 8th Oct 16 at 1:53 PM
    Hi,

I could really do with advice please. My husband and I felt our debt was manageable and we had a debt free plan and date in mind and all was going well until my husband was in a car accident. He ended up being off work between April and September and he is back now but working part time, he is still unwell and is unable to up his hours at the moment. As a result of being on SSP he has been using his available credit on his cards (the ones we had worked so hard to reduce) to top up our income each month, everything is maxed out again now and its all just a complete mess. He hasn't been paid since returning to work yet and although he isn't full time he should get more than what SSP was which is something but all our minimum payments have obviously spiralled. We never thought his injuries would be this severe and that his recovery would take this long, the other party accepted full liability and we were told by their insurance company that they would cover his loss of earnings etc however they have made things really difficult and are yet to pay him anything, he will eventually get some money from them but when is anyone's guess and I just don't know what to do for the best in the mean time. We were hoping to move house (which of course as been put on hold due to circumstance) so I don't want to do anything that would cause us to go into arrears with anything or default and make it difficult for us when the time comes. We can't get any other cards or anything to transfer to 0% (i looked on the eligibility pages) and I can only assume its because of our recent erratic spending on cards (which i can't blame them, because it doesn't look good!) Does anyone have any advice? We have mortgage protection insurance however when my husband contacted them they said he needed to be under a consultant (which he isn't). It all just feels like a nightmare so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - please be kind to me, i've cried enough lately xxx
    No one is going to stand up at your funeral and say
    'she had a really expensive couch and nice shoes'

3-6 months emergency fund #58: £15/£500
Page 1
    • Muttipops
    • By Muttipops 8th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Muttipops
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    Hi,
    I would not just take the Insurance companies word for it about needing to be "under a consultant".
    Presumably when he had his car accident he was treated in hospital. Was he an inpatient? If so, he would have had a hospital consultant. Does he have any ongoing hospital appointments or has he done so since the accident?
    I know that some policies don't pay out for X weeks which might cover the immediate period after the accident, but you need something more from the Insurance people than "he isn't under a consultant".
    If he isn't, does he need to be or does he have any ongoing problems that mean he could be?
    Have you read the policy yourselves to check the rules?

Had another thought, have you spoken to Citizens Advice in order to get some help about the car Insurance payout? It strikes me that you need someone with clout in order to make the Insurance company get onto paying you out even an interim payment.

Lastly, give the National Debline a call and see if they can talk you through what is the best for you to do now, in order to prevent yourselves defaulting on the priority creditors.

There will be a way out of this, but some posteriors, pardon the word, need kicking to make sure you get what is due to you.
    Last edited by Muttipops; 08-10-2016 at 3:27 PM. Reason: grammer
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 8th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:29 PM
    I think you really need to speak to your own insurance company. Although the other driver was at fault, your contract is with your insurance company. You need to impress on them the serious situation you are in and press them for an interim payment, which they should be able to do and reclaim it from the other company.

It does sound as though your financial situation is short term but you need to take control. If you need further information, don't hesitate to come back on here. Good luck.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 8th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    tlc678910
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    A formal complaint to the insurance company about the time it is taking to settle your claim and then, If you are not happy with their response, a complaint to the ombudsman?
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 9th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 6:22 AM
    Insurance companies are able to make interim payments. It might be worth posting this on the insurance board as there are some claims experts on there who should be able to give you some assistance. Your husband should also speak to the HR team at his work in confidence to get an idea of how much he will be paid. At least that way you will be able to plan.

Once you are in possession of that information, it may be worth seeking an appointment with your bank to see if they can help you in the short term.

Unfortunately injury claims do take some time to settle as some times it can take a while for the extent of the injury and future prognosis to be determined.

You might also want to post up a statement of affairs on here to see where savings can be made in the short term.
    • AnxiousHomemaker
    • By AnxiousHomemaker 9th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    AnxiousHomemaker
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:37 AM
    Thank you for all the replies.

My husband was in a hire car, not his own car and therefore our insurance doesn't cover him, he did contact both insurance companies (we have 2 cars) to see if they could assist but they both said no, he does have a solicitor now though.

We have requested an interim payment but the insurers wouldn't pay anything until X, Y, Z was completed. we did receive a call on Friday from the solicitor saying they have now agreed and processing it but it can take up to 14 days. So we are waiting on that. My husband is awaiting an MRI scan so there has been no talk of final settlement and there won't be until the outcome. I've been told it can take months and in some cases years to get a settlement as you should wait for the injured party to have recovered or to have a diagnosis that they won't? To be honest we have never been in this situation so don't really know, we feel quite overwhelmed by it all.

I'll have a look at CAB and National Debtline. I'm hoping I've responded to everyone but I am replying from my phone so apologies if I have missed anything.

Oh and I'm going to look at our policy with legal and general as they are who we have payment protection insurance with for the mortgage.

Thank you x

• Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 9th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    Would the mortgage protection insurance accept that you have been getting sick notes (med3) from his GP?

Who has requested the MRI ? - possibly a consultant
    • AnxiousHomemaker
    • By AnxiousHomemaker 9th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    AnxiousHomemaker
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    He has all the paper work they sent out when he called so I am going to have a look through it, there is a section for the GP to complete so it may be enough? He has needed an MRI for several weeks however the GP's and Insurance have been passing it back to each other to do it (I can only assume neither want to touch their own money) A chiropractor has confirmed he needs the Scan and it has now been arranged at a private hospital locally, (which is something else we have to pay for!) GP insists he can't get him one on the NHS any quicker and Insurance company won't pay up front and instead we have to pay for it and claim it back at the end... Xx

• dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 9th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    Like you said it could be months before you get anything. I would be hesitant in paying for it as anything needed should come under the claim.

Do you have any insurance under your home insurance?
    My 3 targets to end 2016:
    1) To get down to 12 stone for 2016. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 21lb lost : 56lbs to go :s
    2) to find a purpose in life work wise and have a new challenge
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 9th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    The other thing is that I know when I got my mortgage they said I could have had a payment holiday (this was with the halifax so I don't know if all do it) and I think it was upto a year. They still charge the interest but it might give you some breathing space if they do it
    My 3 targets to end 2016:
    1) To get down to 12 stone for 2016. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 21lb lost : 56lbs to go :s
    2) to find a purpose in life work wise and have a new challenge
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,294Posts Today

8,799Users online

Martin's Twitter