Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 8th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 1,476Thanks
    Rowan moon
    Big dental problem
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    Big dental problem 8th Oct 16 at 12:35 PM
    I've just had my regular checkup with a new dentist at the practice I go to (the dentist I saw previously was so booked up I couldn't get in for months).

She told me I had problems with two teeth, need fillings and that I might 'lose the tooth' with one of them. She showed me the x rays from 7 months ago and the notes on the computer, told me these were a problem then and she can't understand why the work wasn't done when I came seven months ago.
    She said it was going to be a complex job, possible root canal work (if the tooth could be saved) and needed doing immediately. But then she said she had no appointments free for the next couple of weeks and perhaps I could have the work done with the dental therapist. What???? After telling me what a complex job it was going to be?
    I booked the appointment with her for a couple of weeks time but honestly I don't know if I feel happy with her doing the work. Her manner was terrible (she also mentioned a crown that needed replacing but that it could be 'opening up a can of worms as we do t know what we will find underneath it).

The dentist I went to previously seemed ok, but it looks like he should have done this work on my last visit. Plus he is booked up solidly. Help, I'm so upset about this and just don't know what to do now.
    Clothes challenge 2016 -£263 /£350
Page 1
    • asajj
    • By asajj 8th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 8,128 Thanks
    asajj
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    Well what do you want? You either will find another dentist and pay again for a check-up and see what they say or just will go and get it done with her. What are you really so upset about ? If it is her manners, just complain to the practise - is it possible to do that?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 8th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,476 Thanks
    Rowan moon
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    Hi thanks for your reply.

I am upset to be told I urgently needed this doing 7 months ago but wasn't told at the time. I'm upset that I might lose the tooth. It is worrying that I need this doing urgently and if I try to find another dentist it may be difficult to get in as quickly as I need to.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 8th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 5,660 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:26 PM
    Do you have an idea how much worse it has got in the last 7 months? That might give you an additional indication on what urgent means for you in this case.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • asajj
    • By asajj 8th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 8,128 Thanks
    asajj
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    7 months ago, were you not given anything at all? I have the exact same problem currently but it has been going on for a while. I was given antibiotics first as I wasn't able to get the root canal done back then. Did you have any pain etc back then?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 8th Oct 16, 11:06 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,476 Thanks
    Rowan moon
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:06 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:06 PM
    I didn't have any pain 7 months ago and don't have any pain now. The dentist last time didn't mention it to me although this new dentist says he noted it on my record and it shows on the x ray taken then. I didn't have an x ray this time. This new dentist is saying it was urgent then and is really urgent now.

I realise I either have to go with the dentist I saw this time or try to find a new practice but it's all making me feel anxious.
    Thanks for replying.
    • imho
    • By imho 9th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    imho
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    There is about 3/4 Dentist that are very helpful that usually are on this Site but because it's the weekend they are of course having a rest.

Bump your post up tmrw and with luck one of them will reply to you.
    • welshdent
    • By welshdent 10th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    welshdent
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    A therapist is a fully trained professional that can undertake basic conservative dentistry such as fillings - not root fillings. They also provide periodontal/gum disease treatment.

I can not comment on your dentists manner nor whether it should have been done sooner but I can see the logic in getting you in with the therapist who can at least stabilise the situation and maybe even prevent it getting to the stage that it needs the root filling. If they feel it is more complex then can temporise the tooth so you do not lose more of the tooth structure allowing the dentist to have more to "work with". Personally I would rather get things started with the therapist if that is what the dentist who has seen you has advised.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 10th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 3,849 Posts
    • 3,453 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 4:11 PM
    Many dentists will have different views about treatment, it doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong.

A dentist who has seen you for many years might note a dodgy looking filling or crown , but having seen you for years and noticing it is not deteriorating they may just keep an eye on it. They should of course tell you they are keeping an eye on it.

A new dentist may see a dodgy looking filling or crown and as far as they know it may have got like that very recently and you may have active disease so they may be keener to investigate.

Unfortunately sometimes it is difficult to know what to do for the best if a tooth or crown looks a bit "iffy" but is giving no problems as taking a filling or a crown out may cause problems on their own.

It's a question of trust , the fact your old dentist noted the problems is good , but they should have said they were keeping an eye , or something looked a bit dodgy. Your new dentist is sending you to a highly qualified therapist to get the work done as their waiting list is so long. Many think that in future, in NHS practices most of the routine care will be done by therapists.

The decision as to what to do is yours.
    • Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 10th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 1,476 Thanks
    Rowan moon
    Thank you for your replies.

My 'old' dentist is someone I have only seen on one occasion having recently moved to a new area. However I did think he was very professional.

He has now asked to see me on Wednesday and do any work that is necessary. This feels better to me than seeing the dental therapist (I'm sure they are professional but the one at this practice has only been qualified for a year, and with so many potential problems being presented to me it felt too risky).

Thanks again for taking time to reply. I will be pleased when I get Wednesday over with and know how it has gone.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 11th Oct 16, 2:41 PM
    • 14,349 Posts
    • 36,532 Thanks
    FBaby
    Brook2jack has described exactly what happened to me. Saw a regular dentist, got X rays, nothing that raised concerns. Then happened to have another dentist at a regular visit who also did x rays and decided that I had one dodgy tooth urgently, needed root canal treatment, quoted me a eye watering amount and booked me for the following week. Thankfully, I had to delay for other reason and in the meantime, saw the first dentist again (who I'd assumed had been negligent and not picked up on the issue). She said that she didn't believe there was anything wrong with the tooth and that the greying area was most likely due to a filling. She said that the main indicator was pain and since I had none, there was no urgency.

This was 18 months ago, no pain, no problem. So glad I saw her again and went with her advice rather than going with the alarming dentist who seemed incredibly quick to book me for expensive treatment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter