Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    • 9,613Posts
    • 17,213Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    What was your first gig?
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    What was your first gig? 8th Oct 16 at 12:18 PM
    Just booked tickets to go and see the Bros reunion tour next year I was only 7 when they were first out so although I was a full on Brosette (My favourite outfit was Bros jeans, Bros t-shirt and the chunky shoes with the Grolsch tops given to me by my older brother) I was too young to go to the gigs. That got my friend and I talking about our first gig and I wondered what everyone else's first gig was? Mine was Take That when I was thirteen at Newcastle City Hall.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
Page 4
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 9th Oct 16, 9:40 AM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    When I went to see Argent at the Imperial College..Queen were due to play there the following week, this was around 1973 and nobody had ever heard of them. I remember seeing the Posters advertising the gig.

Bit of history their Ms Pensioner..
    Will you look at this...Wowser!
    (Note how it was more expensive to see the band Horslips.)

Originally posted by tommix
    Wow, that is a great piece of memorabilia.
    Holding back the years...

• fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 9th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    The last time I saw Gene Pitney was a week before he died. We thought he was looking a bit tired but his voice was still as strong. I was never one to rush down to the front to shake his hand, but on this last occasion I did because he had given his fans decades of pleasure. Sadly he died about a week later.

• missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 9th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 15,882 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    When I went to see Argent at the Imperial College..Queen were due to play there the following week, this was around 1973 and nobody had ever heard of them. I remember seeing the Posters advertising the gig.

When I was at Essex, apparently the Ents commitee turned down the Sex Pistols just before they became big. I always wonder whether I would have gone to see them.....
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 9th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 4,544 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Rolling Stones, Birmingham Town Hall in 1964 or 1965 and also Bob Dylan, same venue either 64 or 65. Think the Stones gig was my first.

Unless you count the Vienna Boys Choir on school trip, same venue.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Oct 16, 10:05 AM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 22,869 Thanks
    onlyroz

Wasn't Brian May a student at Imperial?
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 9th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 15,882 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Rolling Stones, Birmingham Town Hall in 1964 or 1965 and also Bob Dylan, same venue either 64 or 65. Think the Stones gig was my first.

Unless you count the Vienna Boys Choir on school trip, same venue.
    Originally posted by Loanranger
    I saw the Stones for my third or fourth gig in 1964 when they were the support act for John Leyton - how times change!
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 9th Oct 16, 10:10 AM
    • 15,882 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Yes, both undergraduate and PhD.

ETA
    In fact it seems as if he was still doing his PhD when this gig was on.

http://astro.ic.ac.uk/bmay/home
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 9th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Really great act people have seen here, let alone as a first gig! Where do you find out about upcoming gigs these days? Think I feel a midlife crisis coming on...
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 22,869 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Yes, both undergraduate and PhD.

ETA
    In fact it seems as if he was still doing his PhD when this gig was on.

http://astro.ic.ac.uk/bmay/home
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    I new about the PhD, which he obtained fairly recently after a long haitus. I wasn't sure if he was also an undergrad there as well.

I do know that his PhD supervisor was without a doubt the most boring lecturer I ever endured during my years at IC.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 9th Oct 16, 10:27 AM
    • 15,882 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    I new about the PhD, which he obtained fairly recently after a long haitus. I wasn't sure if he was also an undergrad there as well.

I do know that his PhD supervisor was without a doubt the most boring lecturer I ever endured during my years at IC.
    I knew about his being awarded his PhD a few years ago, I hadn't realised how many years he'd already put into it when Queen were starting out.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 9th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 15,882 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    Really great act people have seen here, let alone as a first gig! Where do you find out about upcoming gigs these days? Think I feel a midlife crisis coming on...
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    I've been catching up seeing some people before one or other of us dies. As I'm booked to see the Quo in December, it's becoming a pretty close thing!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Oct 16, 10:47 AM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 22,869 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I've been catching up seeing some people before one or other of us dies. As I'm booked to see the Quo in December, it's becoming a pretty close thing!
    My mum has dragged me along to a few Status Quo concerts. Have they learned more than three chords yet?
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 9th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 15,882 Posts
    • 28,955 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    My mum has dragged me along to a few Status Quo concerts. Have they learned more than three chords yet?
    Cliche alert!

(Did you enjoy them?)
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 32,965 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    tommix
    Wow, that is a great piece of memorabilia.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    Indeed it is..Back then they were just four blokes lugging speakers around in the back of an old Van..

I remember wondering at the time if her majesty would object to her title being used by four long haired oiks making a racket.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 12,203 Posts
    • 22,869 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Cliche alert!

(Did you enjoy them?)
    I did. But then again I enjoy most live music even if the style is not something I'd normally listen to.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 32,965 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    tommix
    They didn't need to..Quos music was a thing of beauty. They did more for me with three chords then U2, Coldplay and Beethoven, with all their fancy stuff, combined.
    Last edited by tommix; 09-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 32,965 Posts
    • 135,315 Thanks
    tommix
    Yeah I believe he was..Astrophysics. Got a PHD you know. Brainy git.
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 9th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 8,103 Thanks
    arthurdick
    They didn't need to..Quos music was a thing of beauty. They did more for me with three chords then U2, Coldplay and Beethoven, with all their fancy stuff combined.
    Well said tom me old china. even though I was into punk & pink floyd in the late 70's ...Quo were always playing catchy music, always got people up at weddings. And seeing as 2 of them went to my school, I couldn't knock them really. My missus goes on about Boy George being at her school, I think I got the better deal.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • Missli
    • By Missli 9th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 16,185 Thanks
    Missli
    Culture Club, don't laugh, when I was about 13 (my cousin liked them). We had to get the bus to Cambridge I think, not 100% if that was the venue, but we definitely caught a coach.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 9th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Originally posted by coffeehound

you might even get priority booking.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,887Posts Today

6,153Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin