Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    • 9,613Posts
    • 17,211Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    What was your first gig?
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    What was your first gig? 8th Oct 16 at 12:18 PM
    Just booked tickets to go and see the Bros reunion tour next year I was only 7 when they were first out so although I was a full on Brosette (My favourite outfit was Bros jeans, Bros t-shirt and the chunky shoes with the Grolsch tops given to me by my older brother) I was too young to go to the gigs. That got my friend and I talking about our first gig and I wondered what everyone else's first gig was? Mine was Take That when I was thirteen at Newcastle City Hall.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
Page 3
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 8th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    I went to lots of those "One Night Stands " tours (as they were called) in the 60s and Gene Pitney turned up pretty regularly as did Roy Orbison and Dusty Springfield. I always bought a programme and my dad threw the lot away when I left home at the end of the decade.

Makes you want to spit!
    Originally posted by missbiggles1

I do have one programme from a Gene Pitney show with the seat tickets. The tickets were a work of art, almost like an invitation. Now they are just computer generated and even just a black & white sheet of A4 from your own printer.

My mum did the same as your dad when I left home, she had a good clear out, she didn't realise that mentally I still hadn't left home.
    Holding back the years...

• fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 8th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    The only band I never saw and would have walked over hot coals to see was Queen. I bet they were dynamic live and the atmosphere must have been amazing.
    Holding back the years...

• catkins
    • By catkins 8th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 10,827 Thanks
    catkins
    I have a terrible memory so can't remember my first gig. I know I saw Cat Stevens at the Royal Albert Hall in 1972. I saw the Beach Boys at the Rainbow but not sure what year
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 9,613 Posts
    • 17,211 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Some cracking first gigs there Thanks everyone for making a lively debate.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 8th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 15,874 Posts
    • 28,945 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    The only band I never saw and would have walked over hot coals to see was Queen. I bet they were dynamic live and the atmosphere must have been amazing.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    I could've seen them in Ipswich in the mid 70s when I was at university, also Abba. People tend to forget how unfashionable both bands were then.
    • Dill
    • By Dill 8th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Dill
    My first proper 'pop concert' would have been A-Ha when I was about 14

I think it was the levellers at Hull City Hall in 98.
    Actually I think that suede at sheffield octagon may have been just before that one.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    The Levellers were brilliant live, I think I saw them three times back in the 90s
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 8th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Oh dear I just can't remember, I've been to so many.
    I can tell you the latest - Hyde Park with Elton the headliner.
    But first, my ageing brain is fuzzy, or it could be too much wine lately.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 8th Oct 16, 11:00 PM
    • 13,426 Posts
    • 118,353 Thanks
    zagubov
    Saw Genesis At Knebworth 1992

Would love to re live it

Absolutely amazing

I also still have a copy of 'Look-in'. 1975 Featuring the Bay city Rollers.
    Originally posted by 12 month challenge
    I think every issue of Look-in featured the Bay City Rollers. I was getting a bit sick of the sight of them.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 8th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 16,537 Posts
    • 47,356 Thanks
    freyasmum
    U2 at Hampden Park.

It was alright, except for the fact that he stopped halfway through an £80-odd (for me) concert to beg us to send money abroad. Only went cos the boyfriend at the time and all his brothers/girlfriends were going.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 8th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 36,492 Posts
    • 73,336 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Steeleye Span, Rocket Cottage tour. Some time in the early seventies at Colston Hall in Bristol.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 9th Oct 16, 12:02 AM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 7,763 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Duran Duran at Southampton Gaumont, now The Mayflower, in 1981.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 1:51 AM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    When I went to see Argent at the Imperial College..Queen were due to play there the following week, this was around 1973 and nobody had ever heard of them. I remember seeing the Posters advertising the gig.

Bit of history their Ms Pensioner..
    Will you look at this...Wowser!
    (Note how it was more expensive to see the band Horslips.)

Last edited by tommix; 09-10-2016 at 2:07 AM.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 9th Oct 16, 2:38 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    Londonsu
    Rolling Stones Hyde Park 1969 bittersweet day
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stones_in_the_Park
    also remember going to see Neil Young and the Eagles were the supporting band think that was 1973
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 9th Oct 16, 5:41 AM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 8,103 Thanks
    arthurdick
    Ian Dury and the Blockheads in 1978, Lewisham Odeon.
    Originally posted by Twopints
    I was there too, I bought a t=shirt there that almost got me barred from our council club. Seeing as it was on the Stiff label, the t-shirt had "if it aint stiff, it aint worth a f**k", on the front of it. I loved that t-shirt, I had it a few years,a few of the local Lewisham pubs used to let me wear it, but not the poxy council club. I always thought that was the first gig I went to, then I remembered that I went to see Uriah Heep at Hammersmith with a school mate, I think it was 1973 or 1974.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • duchy
    • By duchy 9th Oct 16, 5:51 AM
    • 17,886 Posts
    • 45,234 Thanks
    duchy
    They really were....they were my first huge open air gig aged 15 at Hyde Park and again several years later at Wembley. Amazing.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Oct 16, 6:18 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I was a life long Gene Pitney fan and saw him nearly every time he toured the UK but my first gig was the Tamla Motown tour in 1965, when I was a teenager. I think that was at the Hammersmith Odeon.

On the bill was

The Supremes
    The Earl Van Dyke Six
    (Little) Stevie Wonder
    Martha & The Vandellas
    Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames

Still go and see the solid sixties tour shows, when they come on stage I always think who are all those old men...
    Those were the days

I saw Gene Pitney a second time in the 80s. He sounded the same, just looked a bit greyer. My OH thinks it funny that my musical tastes have never moved on from this era
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Oct 16, 6:24 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    Murphybear
    When I went to see Argent at the Imperial College..Queen were due to play there the following week, this was around 1973 and nobody had ever heard of them. I remember seeing the Posters advertising the gig.

Bit of history their Ms Pensioner..
    Will you look at this...Wowser!
    (Note how it was more expensive to see the band Horslips.)

Originally posted by tommix
    I had lots of friends at IC in that era, I was at Queen Elizabeth College (just down the road, doesnt exist any more), I wonder if any of them went to this. The cost of the ticket was about twice the cost of a pint of beer
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Oct 16, 6:31 AM
    • 2,502 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Duran Duran at Southampton Gaumont, now The Mayflower, in 1981.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    That's it. Couldn't remember where I saw Gene Pitney in 1969, it was the old Gaumont, thanks for reminding me
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Oct 16, 7:42 AM
    • 13,737 Posts
    • 53,463 Thanks
    Judi
    Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes in the 1970s. Moody Blues a couple of years back and Alexander O'Neil booked for December.

Hubby has booked to see a Rolling Stones tribute band in January. Looks like me taking ear plugs.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Oct 16, 9:21 AM
    • 36,492 Posts
    • 73,336 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Not a gig, but I saw Manfred Mann and his Earth Band at the Town's Talk, just outside Bristol in the seventies.
    I was with friends and one of them rang around from a 'phone box on the tramway centre to see what was afoot, and decided to go there on the spur of the moment when we heard who was playing.

I've also saw the internationally famous superstar Fred Wedlock on a couple of occasions. Once in Thornbury and once in Swindon.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 09-10-2016 at 9:24 AM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter