Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FluroFrancis
    • By FluroFrancis 8th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 5Thanks
    FluroFrancis
    Barclaycard cashback duo
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    Barclaycard cashback duo 8th Oct 16 at 11:59 AM
    After applying and getting rejected for a 2nd Barclaycard spoke to them yesterday and asked to upgrade my initial card I've had with them many many years and they offered a choice of a platinum, a freedom rewards and a cashback duo, all at the same rates as I already had on the initial so went with the cashback as it seems to be the best deal

So sorry if this sounds completely dumb but presumably wherever possible I use the amex to get the better cashback and only use the visa if a place doesn't take amex? there's no other differences or disadvantages/advantages either way?
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 8th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    That's correct.

The Amex gives you 1% cashback while the Visa gives you 0.5% cashback.

Basically use the Amex wherever you can and then use the Visa as a backup when they don't take Amex.
    • adamh87
    • By adamh87 8th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    adamh87
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    I also have one of these cards, and always had a decent money/balance transfer available. The money transfer was offered at 0.9%, and I thought if I could get more cash it would be useful.

I successfully extended my credit limit, and the offer stayed there for a bit but got slightly more expensive.. now there are no balance/money transfers available... Are they available to others, or are they winding down this offer?
    • FluroFrancis
    • By FluroFrancis 8th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    FluroFrancis
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    think it just depends from customer to customer

I never got offered a money transfer on an initial, though balance transfers at 6.9% have been common, wondering if might hopefully get better offers on the cashback card
    • pupgrum
    • By pupgrum 8th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pupgrum
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    The Barclaycard due reward cards are quite useful. You get balance transfers, money transfers, and purchase plan offers just about every 1-2 months.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 8th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    planteria
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    ..and purchase plan offers just about every 1-2 months.
    Originally posted by pupgrum
    do you? i've never had one of those. i use the Visa as an American Express backup, and would be open to extended payment deals.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 8th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    Offers seem to be very individual. I get just under 12 months money transfer regularly, but only at 1.9%, not the 0.9% suggested here. I also get BTs at 2.9% for just under 24 months.

I don't put a huge amount of spend on the card, but I almost always use it for petrol. Pay at the pump pretty much always takes Amex at 1%
    • book12
    • By book12 8th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    book12
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:30 PM
    When converting your card to the cashback one:

Does your Apr change or remain the same as your card before transferring? For example if your exisring card is 18.9%, is it still that interest rate after converting to the cashback one

After the card is converted to the cashback one, do you get a new pin number for the cashback cards or can you use your existing one?
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 8th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    When converting your card to the cashback one:

Does your Apr change or remain the same as your card before transferring? For example if your exisring card is 18.9%, is it still that interest rate after converting to the cashback one

After the card is converted to the cashback one, do you get a new pin number for the cashback cards or can you use your existing one?
    Originally posted by book12
    Your APR stays the same. Your PIN stays the same for both cards, until you change it (on a per card basis).
    • FluroFrancis
    • By FluroFrancis 9th Oct 16, 12:03 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    FluroFrancis
    Offers seem to be very individual. I get just under 12 months money transfer regularly, but only at 1.9%, not the 0.9% suggested here. I also get BTs at 2.9% for just under 24 months.

I don't put a huge amount of spend on the card, but I almost always use it for petrol. Pay at the pump pretty much always takes Amex at 1%
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    is that 1.9% for the money transfer an APR or a fee (with then an apr on top)?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 9th Oct 16, 6:41 AM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 6,090 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters

Originally posted by Nebulous2
    I got offered the 0.9% a month after I'd utilised a 1.9% offer.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 9th Oct 16, 6:54 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    is that 1.9% for the money transfer an APR or a fee (with then an apr on top)?
    Originally posted by FluroFrancis
    It's a fee, but there isn't an apr on top. The fee is all you pay for almost 12 months, as long as you have no other balances on the card and make the minimum payments.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 9th Oct 16, 6:58 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I got offered the 0.9% a month after I'd utilised a 1.9% offer.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    That's good to know- thanks. I've considered using the 1.9% but would certainly use a 0.9% offer to stooze. It might be worth taking £1000 at 1.9% to see what happens. I would lose my 1% on my petrol, but could use Nationwide for 0.5%
    • baz8790
    • By baz8790 9th Oct 16, 7:54 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    baz8790
    I only get balance transfer offers since switching to the cashback cards 6 months ago, had cash and payment plan offers constantly when I had the initial card.

Interest rate is still quite high but I pay the whole balance monthly so that doesn't bother me.

I do find that I'm doing all my spending on the cashback cards now.
    • pupgrum
    • By pupgrum 9th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pupgrum
    I only get balance transfer offers since switching to the cashback cards 6 months ago, had cash and payment plan offers constantly when I had the initial card.

Interest rate is still quite high but I pay the whole balance monthly so that doesn't bother me.

I do find that I'm doing all my spending on the cashback cards now.
    Originally posted by baz8790
    The purchase plan offers only show up as an option for me if I buy something that's over a certain amount. It must be a single transaction, you can't use a purchase plan for several transactions. You choose the purchase plan, pay the fee, and the balance for that single transaction is moved to the purchase plan so the usual interest doesn't apply to this amount.

While there is a purchase plan option, I haven't seen anything lucrative so far. I think the last purchase plan offer I had was a slider between 3 months to 12 months or something like that, with a fee of 9. something percent fee if I choose 12 months and 4. something percent for the 3 months option. I didn't pick this and the next month the offer was still there but the fee percentages switched places.

It's still a nice card to have for the balance transfer offers. Just also managed to increase my credit limit by 50% of the existing amount.
    Last edited by pupgrum; 09-10-2016 at 9:57 AM.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 9th Oct 16, 12:19 PM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    datlex
    I have the Freedom Rewards card and find it useful for Christmas. I save up my earnings and then transfer them into vouchers at that time to pay towards presents.

Which ever card type you go for pay in full. I personally have an account which is used to mirror the credit card so the funds are always available.
    • FluroFrancis
    • By FluroFrancis 9th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    FluroFrancis
    The purchase plan offers only show up as an option for me if I buy something that's over a certain amount. It must be a single transaction, you can't use a purchase plan for several transactions. You choose the purchase plan, pay the fee, and the balance for that single transaction is moved to the purchase plan so the usual interest doesn't apply to this amount.

While there is a purchase plan option, I haven't seen anything lucrative so far. I think the last purchase plan offer I had was a slider between 3 months to 12 months or something like that, with a fee of 9. something percent fee if I choose 12 months and 4. something percent for the 3 months option. I didn't pick this and the next month the offer was still there but the fee percentages switched places.

It's still a nice card to have for the balance transfer offers. Just also managed to increase my credit limit by 50% of the existing amount.
    Originally posted by pupgrum
    what sort of transaction amount does it tend to offer payment plan options above?
    • pupgrum
    • By pupgrum 9th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    pupgrum
    what sort of transaction amount does it tend to offer payment plan options above?
    Originally posted by FluroFrancis
    Don't know for certain but the £850 I spent on one furniture purchase showed up as a purchase plan offer. The option only appeared after I made the purchase, not before. The purchase plan basically looks at what's in your current balance and only shows the transactions that's eligible to be moved into the plan. I never bothered using the purchase plan. I just paid it in full the following month.

For larger purchases I always use another credit card with rewards and then balance transfer to the Barclaycard to take advantage of the 0% interest. Normally the balance transfer fee fluctuates between 0.9% to 1.9%, and the odd occasion up to 2.1%. This seem to change every month and I just wait until I get the 0.9% fee.
    Last edited by pupgrum; 09-10-2016 at 3:08 PM.
    • book12
    • By book12 9th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    book12
    When asking for cashback, does it lower your direct debit payment and the the money increases your balance/limit? Or does goes trait into increasing your balance/credit limit?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter