Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deb1112
    • By Deb1112 8th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Deb1112
    Late claim for pension
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    Late claim for pension 8th Oct 16 at 11:25 AM
    Hello, I need advice asap to help an old gentlemen.

He was born in 1941 and has never claimed his pension. Before claiming I would like to confirm or otherwise regarding the pension he is owed since 2006 :
    • Is he entitled to the full ten years back payment in a lump sum?
    • If so, I believe he has not paid every NI contribution required. Should I try to help him do this by paying the missing contributions BEFORE making his pension claim? I would assume it would be worthwhile to try???
    • fyi to my knowledge he did not officially defer his pension
    Any helpful information would be most gratefully received as he has few funds and needs to apply for his pension urgently.

Many thanks to MSE and you all for being here!

I always come here before doing anything financial.

Best Regards
    Debbie
Page 1
    • LXdaddy
    • By LXdaddy 8th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    LXdaddy
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:35 AM
    Firstly, you don't have to do anything to "officially" defer your pension. If you don't ask for it to be paid it is automatically deferred.

With a birth year of 1941 his SPA would have been in 2006. I think that any missing NI year would be too long ago for him to pay them.

Assuming he does have an entitlement to a state pension then it is deferred under the pre-2015 rules so is increasing by 10.4% per year (0.2% per week). And he will have the choice of a lump sum or an increased pension.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 19,182 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/527015/state-pension-deferral-if-you-reached-state-pension-age-before-6-april-2016-extra_information.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/top-up-your-state-pension

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-basic-state-pension
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 8th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    Don't know much about deferring pension but it seems there could now be a very significant lump sum due.

If your old gentleman is going to choose the lump sum over the increase in regular pension payments then you need to think about the tax side of things before doing anything official with DWP.

Looking at some very basic examples on NI direct website the lump sum could be £50000 and the tax due on this would range from £0 to £22,500.

Even claiming pension now and having lump sum in the next tax year may make a big difference (could be better or worse depending on other income, pensions etcetc)
    • atush
    • By atush 8th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 15,296 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    atush
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:49 PM
    Yes, you really need to look hard at this before having him claim.

Is he of good health? I assume he doesnt need a large sum or huge income either- as he has be living w/o his pension these last 10 years? Does he have a spouse? Any dependents to leave money to (if he took the lump sum).

at 10.4% compounded, it seems to me he has more than doubled the SP he was entitled to? Does he have any need of a lump sum? Or would a big bump up in income be preferable?

If he is of good health, the large bump in income could be preferable (to losing loads of the LS to tax). If he is frail, and has a spouse/children to leave money to, taking the lump sum and getting his normal SP is probably a good idea.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 8th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    atush
    Can you do a mix and take smaller lump sum and bigger (than basic) pension?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 19,182 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:14 PM
    re tax

http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/pensioners-and-tax/what-tax-do-i-pay-my-state-pension-lump-sum
    • Deb1112
    • By Deb1112 9th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Deb1112
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    Hi everyone
    Thank you all sooo much for your feedback.
    To clarify further, the gentlemen :
    • Has been working self-employed privately up until the past few months, only stopping due to ill health
    • Is single but does have adult dependents in regard to any estate
    • Has little to his name except debts, living day to day
    • Is frail now - pending heart operation in approximately one week!
    • has no other pension or income or savings
    • has no property or assets
    I believe the lump sum would be preferable for him as his time on the planet is likely to be highly reduced.

Regarding the tax years, he would be in the lowest tax bracket as he has no other income.
    How would he split over tax years? Would this mean claiming half now and the rest after 5th April 2017?
    Will this lump sum impact his pension claim?
    Presumably he could claim pension credit to bring his income to the standard pension rate?

Sorry for all of the questions but for sure he will ask me and I need to speak with the confidence you are providing me with :-)
    Thank you again!!!!
    Best Regards
    Debbie
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 19,182 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:09 AM
    Re tax, see link above.

With the gentleman's permission, you should be able to speak to DWP on his behalf - this should help clarify his position.

Below leaflet for NI but should assist.

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/dsd/your-guide-to-state-pension-deferral.pdf
    • atush
    • By atush 9th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 15,296 Posts
    • 9,175 Thanks
    atush
    With the additional info, then yes he should go for the lump sum. No you cant split it.
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 9th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    It sounds like he is going to have to pay either no tax or 20% tax so you could be talking £10,000 difference here.

As a starter you could estimate his income this tax year and next year. You have to look at the whole year so don't forget his business profits taxable in this year and his expected pension income. If his business has now ended it might only be pension income next tax year but you should factor in any savings interest he will presumably get once the lump sum comes through.

It could be he's a basic rate payer this year thus, say, £10000 tax due on the lump sum but next year he might not be due to pay tax so no tax would be due on the lump sum.

Getting the timing if this right can make a big difference to the funds he will end up with

Not so sure about this but he might be able to take the pension now and get the lump sum after April next year
    • Deb1112
    • By Deb1112 9th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Deb1112
    Thank you all so very much!
    You have made things a whole lot clearer for me and I will do my best to ensure that the outcome is the most profitable for him. I like to be sure before heading to Government departments as unfortunately, as with many businesses, not all information is known or perhaps given at the best time.

Best wishes to you all and please keep up the good work!
    Many of us out here desperately need your insight and knowledge :-)

Debbie
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 9th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    LHW99
    Hope things go well for your friend.
    If you have time to update us on how things turn out I am sure I won't be the only one interested to know.
    • Deb1112
    • By Deb1112 9th Nov 16, 6:36 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Deb1112
    Hello again everyone
    I haven't forgotten to inform you after your much appreciated guidance.
    Pension claim submitted approximately four weeks ago and no sign of payment yet.
    Original certificates and copy of passport sent and returned by the service, only to be followed nearly three weeks later by a letter requesting:
    Date of Marriage
    Date of Divorce
    Name of wife

AND the claimant suddenly had a middle name he never had at birth! OMG !!!
    I will keep you posted.
    Deb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter