Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pagenotfound2k
    • By pagenotfound2k 8th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 34Posts
    • 14Thanks
    pagenotfound2k
    Washing machine blocked with white stuff
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    Washing machine blocked with white stuff 8th Oct 16 at 11:16 AM
    I noticed my washing machine was making a strange noise, mostly on rinses but not while spinning - it doesn't seem to be the bearings, it was more of a rattling sound. After some investigation, I looked behind the pump cover and found lots of white stuff - like mashed paper.

This is a mystery to me as I haven't had any white bits on my clothes and I use only Ariel Professional powder from Farmfoods. The white stuff is very yucky to fish out, but I am currently running a 90c wash with just bleach in. I hope this will flush out the worst of it.

Is this caused by me using the powder from Farmfoods, or even too much of it? How can I shift most or all of this junk?
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    I would guess it's un-dissolved washing powder.

The recommended amounts on the packet are always too high. I'm in a soft water area, and I use about 2/3 of what they recommend for lightly-soiled clothes in soft water.

If you have hard water, you might want to increase it a bit, but still use less than they recommend.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 8th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 5,789 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    I would guess it's un-dissolved washing powder.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    I was just thinking the same.

Professional brand does not always mean good, as some years ago professional paint sold in some DIY stores was useless watery stuff.

We never use powder, because the family always found it gritty, harsh and a cause of itchy red skin. (I itch if I walk into a room where there is an open box and sometimes in a supermarket detergent aisle.) It is also dissolves, in the washing water, less efficiently than liquid detergent, so may not be fully absorbed, thus leaving a residue.
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 8th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 6:15 PM
    I live in a hard water area and the recommended quantity here for a 40' full load is two to three scoops - I use half a scoop and it still cleans fine!

So I'd say excess powder is the cause based on my experience. Try it with a tiny quantity and work up quarter scoop at a time?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 3,727 Thanks
    -taff
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    Could also be your wash temp isn't hot enough. Low temperatures work better with liquid cleaners, higher ones with powders.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 7,605 Posts
    • 6,837 Thanks
    phill99
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    Powders don't dissolve eell in low temperatures. Liquids are a better option.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 8th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 15,691 Posts
    • 28,627 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    I've had that happen to two washing machines, both down to washing powder. Both plumbers recommended I switch to liquids.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    Try giving your machine a good flush-out with a washing machine cleaner/de-scaler. We live in a hard water area, so I use Oust washing machine de-scaler every month or so to keep on top of things. Then switch to a liquid detergent.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 8th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 4,695 Posts
    • 6,709 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:38 PM
    Either use liquids or less powder. Plus you should do a hot wash every couple of months to give your machine a good clean through. I try to do an empty wash at 90 degrees, perhaps with a washing machine cleaner or soda crystals and vinegar if I have them.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 9th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    27cool
    I can't think of a reason why a manufacturer would tell you to use 3 times more powder that you need. Oh wait! Yes I can.
    • patman99
    • By patman99 9th Oct 16, 7:28 PM
    • 7,639 Posts
    • 8,959 Thanks
    patman99
    I can't think of a reason why a manufacturer would tell you to use 3 times more powder that you need. Oh wait! Yes I can.
    Originally posted by 27cool
    Because they want to sell more of their product. It is just like shampoo. The makers reccommend wetting your hair, applying shampoo, rinsing and repeating steps 1 & 2 again.
    I have only been using one lot of shampoo each time I wash my hair and my hair is nice and clean.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 9th Oct 16, 10:16 PM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 15,782 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Too much powder and quick washes.

Newer machine use a lot less water these days.

Do full loads on the longer eco washes let those bio enzymes do their stuff.

Most stuff will not need a lot of detergent there is just not enough dirt in our clothes these days.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 10th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 6,804 Posts
    • 14,620 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I use Costco's own powder, but only 2x10ml spoons (levelled out) and the clothes are clean. I also clean out my washer about every second month on a hot wash with washing machine cleaner. I don't have any problems with powder - but my mum did, as she used the recommended amount of washing powder. She cleans her machine as well, but it was the amount of powder that she used, combined with mainly low wash temperatures, that caused the problem. She now only uses liquid.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 37,004 Posts
    • 40,910 Thanks
    G_M
    Give the machine a good wash.

Take out the powder tray (and any other removable parts) and clean thoroughly, including as far inside where the powder tray goes as you can reach - there'll be powder residue there too.

Remove and clean the filter.

Run machine on the hottest cycle, with no powder (or clothes!), but add a good dollop of cheap vinegar.

Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

4,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin