Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roytom
    • By roytom 8th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 227Posts
    • 31Thanks
    roytom
    Canon printing quality issue
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    Canon printing quality issue 8th Oct 16 at 10:48 AM
    I've used loads of different ink jet printers but this has me stumped.

Cannon MG3250 - I have others within this range that use the 540/541 chipped carts with the colour cart a multi colour combo.

Printing of plain black text (most of what I do) is rubbish - grey-ish and a bit fuzzy, but copying is better.

Except if you select "Business Document" from the printer options. This prints perfect black text, very fast, which shows signs of fast printing artifacts - ie. slightly misalignment of some text. But also on "Business Document" setting it won't do double sided printing which I need.

Clearly these printers can print very well but I suspect that the default setting is using coloured inks to do black text. Is this a plot to get the colour carts replaced as often as possible? It would be an interesting test if I refilled a colour cart with black ink!
    Last edited by roytom; 08-10-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Page 1
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 8th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 8,312 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    Sounds like time to get a different printer to me.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 8th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    I've used loads of different ink jet printers but this has me stumped.

Cannon MG3250 - I have others within this range that use the 540/541 chipped carts with the colour cart a multi colour combo.

Printing of plain black text (most of what I do) is rubbish - grey-ish and a bit fuzzy, but copying is better.

Except if you select "Business Document" from the printer options. This prints perfect black text, very fast, which shows signs of fast printing artifacts - ie. slightly misalignment of some text. But also on "Business Document" setting it won't do double sided printing which I need.

Clearly these printers can print very well but I suspect that the default setting is using coloured inks to do black text. Is this a plot to get the colour carts replaced as often as possible? It would be an interesting test if I refilled a colour cart with black ink!
    Originally posted by roytom
    Sounds like an issue with the black cartridge to me, either the printhead is faulty or slightly clogged, try running the printhead clean, those cartridges are normally pretty reliable and the black gives good quality prints. Not sure why it won't do duplex as the machine is capable, are you ticking the double side box?
    Last edited by interstellaflyer; 08-10-2016 at 11:50 AM.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    How often do you clean the print heads ??
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 8th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    How often do you clean the print heads ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    In normal use, you shouldn't have to unless the printer is left switched off for long periods however, it's always worth starting with a head clean if the print quality is poor.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 1,785 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    In normal use, you shouldn't have to unless the printer is left switched off for long periods however, it's always worth starting with a head clean if the print quality is poor.
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    And Alignment.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• roytom
    • By roytom 10th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    roytom
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    Canon printer quality
    • 10th Oct 16, 12:26 PM
    I've done all the things suggested, except for buying a new printer, and nothing makes any difference and the printer can print perfectly when used in business document mode.

I have several of these printers that use the same type of cartridge and the problem exists on most of them. All are used regularly. The print heads, ie. in cart, are clean....
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 10th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 1:27 PM

Originally posted by roytom
    No, the default setting is not to use the colour to print black, if you are printing a text document done in Word or similar then anything in black such as text will be printed using the black cartridge. I sell a lot of 540/541 cartridges, both original and ones I've refilled, on the whole they print very well and I certainly haven't come across what you are describing, are you using original Canon cartridges, remanufactured cartridges or refilling yourself?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,378Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin