Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 8th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 398Posts
    • 1,024Thanks
    bobobski
    When do you turn your heating on?
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    When do you turn your heating on? 8th Oct 16 at 10:11 AM
    I'm curious when people give into the chill in the air and switch on their heating.

Personally I live in Cambridge (where the high is about 15C these days) and I'm holding out, but barely. Currently wrapped up in a blanket and still freezing!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 18-10-2016 at 2:32 PM.
    #86: Save £12k in 2016: £7,792.18 / £10,000 (77.92%) | #[ ]: Save 12k in 2017: £0 / £12,000 (0%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £10,763.60 / £60,000 (17.93%)
    Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £294.91 / £5,000 (5.89%)
Page 3
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 10th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I usually try to hold off putting the heating on at all until the clocks go back but I'll admit to turning it on for an hour this morning as the cold woke me up early.
    • techno12
    • By techno12 11th Oct 16, 1:00 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    techno12
    As usual I'll probably switch it on when my wall-mounted thermometer drops below 15 deg. This usually happens around mid to late November.

It's still really warm now (to me anyway). I'm still wearing short-sleeved shirts when out and about, yet at the weekend it seemed everyone else around town was wearing Berghaus jackets and the like!

I guess I don't feel the cold as much as some, coming from the wilds of Northern England originally, and growing up in a house with no central heating.
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 12th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    bobobski
    Interesting that everyone has their own method - I may be 27 but I'm still getting used to being an adult and "because I want to" being a valid reason to do something!

I don't program my heating - I have it "on" all day but the thermostat set to 0°C, then when I want to turn the heating on I just whack up the thermostat. No idea if that's not cost-efficient or anything but hey-ho, I only pay £35 pm for gas and electricity together! I never put the heating on in the morning as somehow it feels more wasteful to me.
    #86: Save £12k in 2016: £7,792.18 / £10,000 (77.92%) | #[ ]: Save 12k in 2017: £0 / £12,000 (0%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £10,763.60 / £60,000 (17.93%)
    Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £294.91 / £5,000 (5.89%)
    • zaax
    • By zaax 13th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    zaax
    My heating is on all the time, if the thermostat / room temp drops 21c the boiler comes on.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 13th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 1,728 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Mine will go on this Sunday morning - only because my nephew is staying over Sat night. Put them on last week to see all working ready. After that maybe 1 hour in mornings daily.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 13th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    r2015
    My heating was set at 15 deg C up until yesterday when I came back from holiday, now it is set at 21 deg C from 07:30 to 23:30 when it goes off.

The boiler never came on before I went on holiday and I read my meter before going away.

When I got back yesterday the reading had advanced by 8 m3 so in the past 12 days it must have been colder than 15 deg C in my lounge.

Now my heating will be set at 21 deg C for 16 hours a day until next year.
    Past 70 and getting more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • sarlea
    • By sarlea 19th Oct 16, 1:25 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sarlea
    My heating is on all the time, if the thermostat / room temp drops 21c the boiler comes on.
    Originally posted by zaax
    Same here - let the central heating system decide
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 19th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    Central heating system is on 24/7/365.

Front room thermostat is set to 20c from 07:00 to 23:00 and to 10c outside those hours, and when on vacation. All other rooms (except bathroom) have thermostatic radiator valves to maintain a slightly lower temperature.

I'm all for money saving but see no need to sit in a cold house.
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor.
    • stan5001
    • By stan5001 19th Oct 16, 3:42 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    stan5001
    Lived here for 6 years and it's always been on auto - set to 19 degrees during morning and evening and 16 at night.

It usually starts to come on some time in October (last week) and stops again in April. I've never known it to come on May - September.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 19th Oct 16, 5:05 PM
    • 26,075 Posts
    • 12,534 Thanks
    Cardew
    Lived here for 6 years and it's always been on auto - set to 19 degrees during morning and evening and 16 at night.

Originally posted by stan5001
    Where is the thermostat situated that is set to 19C?

Surely 19c is not warm enough for most people to sit and read or watch TV?

However a thermostat in, say, the hall set to 19C might well produce 21C or more in the living room.
    • JuliusCaesar
    • By JuliusCaesar 19th Oct 16, 5:32 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    JuliusCaesar
    I like to be warm
    The heating is set a 20 degrees and comes on whenever necessary. On a cold day in August, the heating will come on. Yes, I'm a softy, and proud of it!
    • Peter333
    • By Peter333 19th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 1,720 Posts
    • 5,405 Thanks
    Peter333
    Central heating system is on 24/7/365.

Front room thermostat is set to 20c from 07:00 to 23:00 and to 10c outside those hours, and when on vacation. All other rooms (except bathroom) have thermostatic radiator valves to maintain a slightly lower temperature.

I'm all for money saving but see no need to sit in a cold house.
    Originally posted by The Green Hornet
    This ^^^

we have had the heating on in June before if it's been cold, and then can go the whole of September without having it on. Then it can be on for a whole week in early November, then off til early December. There's no actual rule in our house. If it's cold the heating is on, if it's warm it's off; no matter what time of year it is.

We don't smoke, we rarely buy booze, we don't have Sky TV, we rarely buy clothes, and we have worked hard all our lives, and if we want to spoil ourselves with a bit of heat, we will. Similarly with food; we spend about £70 a week, (2 adults,) where some people claim they only spend £20 a week. But as we don't squander on anything else, we will splash out on food we like!
    As of 25th October 2016, I am not participating in this site. Until MSE sorts out the issue with insidious trouble-makers, it's no longer a place I wish to be. I can't be bothered with the constant battle with trolls.

MSE is not a nice place to be at the moment, and hasn't been for a while now. So I'm outta here for the foreseeable future.
    • stan5001
    • By stan5001 19th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    stan5001
    Where is the thermostat situated that is set to 19C?

However a thermostat in, say, the hall set to 19C might well produce 21C or more in the living room.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Living room, comfortable enough for us. I love the heat if it's hot outside in the 30s but central heating is too stuffy if it's on high. But then we wear jumpers rather than tshirts.
    • newuser78
    • By newuser78 19th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    newuser78
    I live in a flat in central London so no heating turned on yet. I am typing this as I wear a t-shirt. Although a bit chilly outside after work!

Lots of hot home cooked soup ahead just in case!
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 20th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Very interesting reading the comments.

I can remember in the 50's 60's and 70's being cold in the morning having to get up for work before the fire was lit, no central heating and being ***** cold !!

When central heating was available I swore I would never be cold again in my house. I made the mistake one winter of switching off the heating whilst we were on holiday. We returned on a January evening to a freezing house which took two days recover ! Never again, when we go away now the heating is left on with the thermostat set at 16c for the days we will not be returning on and the day we are returning on is set for 20c, works great.
    • st999
    • By st999 20th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    st999

I have a thermostat that displays the temperature and is set at 20.5 deg C, I also have a digital thermometer that sits on top of the thermostat that reads 22 deg C.

I also have another thermometer in the room that shows 19 deg C.

What is the temperature of my room?

I just set the thermostat to the temperature that I am comfortable with regardless of the reading.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 20th Oct 16, 3:52 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    24C - top range of comfort
    21C - recommended living room temperature
    Less than 20C - death risk begins
    18C - recommended bedroom temperature
    16C - resistance to respiratory diseases weakened
    12C - more than two hours at this temperature raises blood pressure and increases heart attack and stroke risk
    5C - Significant risk of hypothermia

Source: West Midlands Public Health Observatory

The foregoing was posted as part of a previous post. My husband would love to have the house heated to 24 degrees and would not be uncomfortable in the slightest, whereas I would find it difficult to breathe. Whilst I was away I put the heating on 20 from 06.30 to 22.00 daily, but he still had the gas fire on.

The gas fire, by the way, is simply beautiful and people have been known to throw things into it, thinking it is a real fire. The gas engineer says it costs an arm and a leg, but it is truly a thing of beauty. Will try to post a picture.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 20th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • Gizmo247
    • By Gizmo247 20th Oct 16, 5:02 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gizmo247
    I find a 20c still too warm and have my thermostat set to 19c in the main living area and 17c in bedrooms at night.

To go back to the original question, I have a Honeywell Evohome so every room is a separate zone with a 24/7 set point profile, so any room can decide to trigger the heating. However to avoid using the heating in marginal weather, in true MSE fashion I set the "Economy" mode on in the Spring (decreases all set points by 2c) and then wait for my body to go "oh - it's a bit cold" before turn the "Economy" mode off when approaching winter.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 20th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    Keep warm, keep well
    Far be it for me to disagree with the West Midlands Public Health Observatory but the NHS has the following advice for keeping your home warm:

• If you have reduced mobility, are 65 or over, or have a health condition such as heart or lung disease, you should heat your home to at least 18C. It's a good idea to keep your bedroom at this temperature all night if you can. During the day you may prefer your living room to be slightly warmer. Make sure you wear enough clothes to stay warm.
    • If you're under 65 and healthy and active, you can safely have your house cooler than 18C, if you're comfortable.
    • You can also use a hot water bottle or electric blanket (but not both at the same time) to keep warm while you're in bed.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/winterhealth/Pages/KeepWarmKeepWell.aspx
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

6,083Users online

Martin's Twitter