Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobobski
    • By bobobski 8th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    • 398Posts
    • 1,024Thanks
    bobobski
    When do you turn your heating on?
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:11 AM
    When do you turn your heating on? 8th Oct 16 at 10:11 AM
    I'm curious when people give into the chill in the air and switch on their heating.

Personally I live in Cambridge (where the high is about 15C these days) and I'm holding out, but barely. Currently wrapped up in a blanket and still freezing!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 18-10-2016 at 2:32 PM.
    #86: Save £12k in 2016: £7,792.18 / £10,000 (77.92%) | #[ ]: Save 12k in 2017: £0 / £12,000 (0%)
    House deposit by 31/12/2020: £10,763.60 / £60,000 (17.93%)
    Emergency fund by 31/12/2020: £294.91 / £5,000 (5.89%)
Page 2
    • molerat
    • By molerat 8th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 9,392 Thanks
    molerat
    Being N Scotland my heating is generally on all year but timed differently according to season and the radiators only come on if necessary. Over the summer period I have it turned on in the evenings but only to heat the bathroom towel rail.
    Last edited by molerat; 08-10-2016 at 5:35 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 8th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    badmemory
    Are you saying that you have the CH on at night at over 20 degrees in the summer months or have I misunderstood?
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    Sorry I mentioned the timer in my first post here & not in the second. My timer turns it off just before bedtime & back on before the alarm goes in the am. I used to have it going off during the day whilst out at work (now retired so it stays on). The thermostat is normally at 20 these days. One of my main aims before retirement was to ensure that I was not going to have to say "No I can't do that because I can't afford it". Cold & sitting under blankets to keep warm effects your mobility too, so it was something I wished to avoid.
    Last edited by badmemory; 08-10-2016 at 5:56 PM. Reason: MY misspelling irritates me
    • tanith
    • By tanith 8th Oct 16, 6:01 PM
    • 7,957 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    tanith
    Haven't felt cold enough to put it on yet, but will put it on when I'm cold.
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 55,996 Posts
    • 321,764 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Generally speaking, when there's a definite hard frost already laying on the grass outside.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 8th Oct 16, 6:53 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    matelodave
    The programmable stats just turn it on and off as required when it thinks it's cold and that would include the middle of July or August if it was cold.

The unit has weather compensation so makes the heating water hotter when it's colder outside.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Robisere
    When we're cold enough!

We live in a Sheltered Housing complex of bungalows, which were heated by 30+ year old Economy 7 storage heaters that ran out of heat by 4 pm. Not very good for Seniors who are indoors for longer hours than working people! Last year our landlord finally fitted GCHeating and junked the NSHeaters. It is bliss! I discovered that the thermostat was reading incorrectly and learned that was because it was mechanical and not digital. I badgered my landlord into fitting a digital one and the difference is remarkable. Before, I had to keep adjusting it because the temperature varied so much. Now I just set it to the temp I want and it stays at that.

I set the programme to come on at 3 times a day for 2 hours in the morning, an hour at lunchtime and 4 hours at night. I can vary that by setting "All Day" if it gets really cold. Until today I had set the temp at 18° C, which gave just enough heat. As we live in East Lincolnshire just a few miles from the North Sea, when the weather comes from the East, NE or North, it can drop 10° within a couple of hours. That's when I increase the temp by 1° or 2°. I would not exceed 21° though.

Since we had GCH our monthly bill has dropped from £175 (Electricity only) to £66 (Dual Fuel). The saving over a year has made a big difference to Pensioners.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 9th Oct 16, 1:10 AM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Through the summer, ours is set very low so that if there is a cool period , the whole system doesn't come on and we can use the gas fire to heat the living room.

When our system was fitted two years ago, we had a new gas fire installed and the men commented that they now take out more than they install, but surely this means that people waste heat by using the system to warm the whole house, when just the room where you are not active needs a small amount of heat.

We also prefer the fire, rather than a tv to be the focal point of the living room.
    • mackemps3
    • By mackemps3 9th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    mackemps3
    Just put 1 storage heater on in the lounge, I live on the north east coast and it gets canny chilly on the night, it's only on half and the room stops warm 21.5 till bed time.
    • Andy_WSM
    • By Andy_WSM 10th Oct 16, 6:34 AM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    Andy_WSM
    An overnight low of 4C here.

Autumn is happening. It's definitely happening. Some recent years we have entirely escaped any chilly weather until November, but it's already been somewhat cooler this year.

http://www.westonweather.co.uk/index.php
    (My personal weather site, not commercial, no ads).

• seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 27,829 Posts
    • 51,068 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Turned my thermostat down to 19 degrees. System is on manual, as we haven't found out how to programme it yet (moved house last year). It is already set to frost protection so we just turn it off if we are out.

At the moment, I am putting it on for a few hours in the morning, (I'm normally up at 5), and about an hour in the evening, but once I have replenished my log baskets, which I'll do today from the log store, we 'll just light one of the woodburners in the evening, depending on what room we are in.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Eric Disley
    • By Eric Disley 10th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Eric Disley
    My thermostat is in an unhelpful place. It's in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs, near the outside door. There are no radiators in that part of the house so it's always cold. Currently about 12/13 degrees.

The rooms I "live" in are probably a few degrees warmer than that but still quite cold. This will be the first winter I've lived here, I'm sure I'll be able to keep it warm enough but expect high heating bills (working from home doesn't help).
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 10th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    lstar337
    Our house is still measuring 22c - 24c in the evening, when it drops to <20c the boiler will be switched back on to central heating mode.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 1,604 Thanks
    brewerdave
    ...switched mine on for the first time this morning - coldest start to the day since April!! Reading 5oC in the conservatory.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 10th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    JEN22
    Are people setting it to 20c to come on and off all day or letting it go cold then boosting when you are home
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 27,829 Posts
    • 51,068 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    ...switched mine on for the first time this morning - coldest start to the day since April!! Reading 5oC in the conservatory.
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Our conservatory was at 15, because I had put it's convector heater to keep the temperature at 15 because some of the plants mustn't get cold (yes - we actually have plants in our conservatory ). The bungalow was at 16. GCH went on for a few hours. It's off now.

My husband however has had to get the dehumidifier down from the loft to get rid of the condensation on the conservatory windows - that has been on for two hours and they are now clear.

Tonight I think I will light the woodburner if it gets chilly, rather than use the GCH - it's renewable energy and keeps us off-grid in a tiny way. The temperature is not cold enough to need all the rooms heated.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 10-10-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Gizmo247
    • By Gizmo247 10th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gizmo247
    I was going to say that I don't really understand this question as I have always used programmable thermostats to set a comfort temperature day and night, 7 days a week and to save money.

My latest incarnation is an Honeywell Evohome which I have owned for 3 years and allows a different temperature profile to be set for each room.

However, I do turn on the "Economy" mode in the summer and then wait for my body to notice it is a little chilly before turning it off. That was this weekend, although it did coincide with a new boiler installation last week which need exercising.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 10th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    JEN22
    Do you set the thermostat to come on sat 7am to 9am then 5pm to 9pm or leave it constantly on say 19C
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 10th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 3,499 Thanks
    carlislelass
    We get the sun in the front rooms, temp is 20 dog with the windows open. Heating goes on about 5pm for maybe 3hrs
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 27,829 Posts
    • 51,068 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Do you set the thermostat to come on sat 7am to 9am then 5pm to 9pm or leave it constantly on say 19C
    Originally posted by JEN22
    I personally would do the first, especially if you are out all day.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    I will put it on when I am shivering. I don't set it to come on at certain times, I use the on and off button when I need a bit of heat. I don't take any notice of temperatures, it's how I feel that counts. I worked outside for 30 odd years so I don't feel the cold too much.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter