Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hankkosovo
    • By hankkosovo 8th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 101Posts
    • 8Thanks
    hankkosovo
    Hastings cancelled my car insurance without warning and didn't tell me for 7 days
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    Hastings cancelled my car insurance without warning and didn't tell me for 7 days 8th Oct 16 at 9:59 AM
    I don't know if this has happened with anyone else but a few days ago I received an email from my car insurance telling me that they cancelled my insurance 7 days prior. That email was the FIRST and only time they informed me of this, no warning before hand, nothing.

When I rang them they said they sent me a letter giving me 5 days to send them a document or they would cancel my insurance. I never received this letter, they then went on to say that that 1 letter was the only warning they have given (no email like they normally correspond via).

So no phone calls, emails or anything saying that they are planning to cancel, just 1 single letter (which I didn't get) giving me 5 days warning. They then resume their normal methods of communication and let me know 7 days after they have already done it.

They said there was nothing they could do other than offer me a new policy.

I've been driving without insurance without even knowing it for a week, when I found out I was stranded while I arranged insurance with another company.

I'm wondering what my best course of action should be?
Page 2
    • hankkosovo
    • By hankkosovo 10th Oct 16, 11:26 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    hankkosovo
    Okay having looked through the documents, there are two sections relating to them canceling, this one in my welcome pack:

'Where this information is not provided, your insurer may ask us to revise the premium payable and/or cancel cover, you will be given appropriate notice of any action we are required to take'

and this in my policy document:

'we and your insurer both have the right to cancel your policy at any time by giving you 7 days notice in writing. We or you insurer will send a cancellation letter to the latest address we have for you and will set out the reason for cancellation in the letter. Valid reasons may include:

Where you are required in accordance with the terms of this policy booklet to co-operate with us or your insurer or send us or your insurer information or documentation and you fail to do so in a way that materially affects your insurers ability to process your policy'

So according to their own wording, they will give me 7 days written notice IF I fail to send them their required documentation.

I didn't receive written notice, I never got the letter.

After speaking to them on the phone and them reading the letter to me, the letter briefly says they require proof of address by a set date (5 days after the dated letter) or they will cancel my policy on that date.

So for arguments sake, lets say I did receive this letter, it only gives 5 days notice, not 7. They are cancelling the policy for not supplying a document in the same letter they are asking for said document, that letter is the first time they have asked for it. So according to their wording they didn't even give me chance to fail to provide requested documents.
    • hankkosovo
    • By hankkosovo 10th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    hankkosovo
    I have a feeling the OP says 5 days as when they received the letter they had 5 days notice eg Hasting issued a letter giving 7 days notice and he recieved it two days later
    Originally posted by dacouch
    The letter they read to me said they where cancelling it 5 days after the date of the letter.

However you raise a good point, is it 7 days notice from the letter date, or from when you receive it?
    • hankkosovo
    • By hankkosovo 10th Oct 16, 11:30 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    hankkosovo
    If the OP used an old address....... to reduce premiums, who's fault is it?
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Quite an assumption.

I had already supplied them multiple documents they had asked for, one of which was my driving licence with my old address on, this is why they then asked for proof of address in the same letter they where cancelling my insurance for not providing proof of address... which I never received.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 10th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 19,727 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    dacouch
    You would expect Hastings to be on the ball on cancelling policies now days...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/2793921/Hastings-Direct-fined-by-FSA-after-car-insurance-pricing-error.html

There again you can't polish the proverbial tu$d
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter