Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Meganjones
    • By Meganjones 8th Oct 16, 1:59 AM
    • 89Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Meganjones
    0 WOW
    USA- Hiring a car in USA (Budget.co.uk/com) - Is insurance included?
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:59 AM
    0 WOW
    USA- Hiring a car in USA (Budget.co.uk/com) - Is insurance included? 8th Oct 16 at 1:59 AM
    If going to USA, NC Raleigh, or 6 weeks, and want to rent a car there, through the company, then is
    is the car insurance usually included in quote price?

or it a separate payment?

Can you do a favour, go to this site

https://www.budget.co.uk/

and do a dummy entry for 28 days,
    Location, Usa North Carolina
    Pickup location, Greensboro

Car size - small.

Does it show that insurance is included there?

(so no extra has to be taken out?)

We know there are other car rental companies, but would like to use this one.

---and that is for 28 days.

can you also try for 42 days, as something happens to the insurance...
    When you enter for 42 days (6 weeks) the insurance included seems to disappear (try entering the same as above but for 6 weeks, the included insurance to the package is not there, why is that?

https://www.budget.co.uk/

Basically want to hire the car, to drive around the state, and other states possibly.
Page 2
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 10th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    You appear to have jumped to conclusions. I didn't write that i didn't explore other options.
    In fact you may have noticed that I posted a positive comment on your Possible Bargain Car Hire thread, here

But in the end, I don't use brokers.

Apart from saving money, it means that I receive Gold and Presidential membership rewards with Hertz and AVIS, for example.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Further up the thread, you said "I never use brokers" & " Always direct. I don't use brokers".
    Fair do's. Horses for courses, etc.& its your money to spend as you see fit.

I'm very keen at looking at value, rather than just cost and for you, the value of points received in membership schemes is where you get your additional value.
    Looking to lose 30lb by 28th April 2017. 16lb gone since 13th June, 14lb to go.

• NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 10th Oct 16, 10:42 AM
    • 9,958 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Further up the thread, you said "I never use brokers" & " Always direct. I don't use brokers".
    Fair do's. Horses for courses, etc.& its your money to spend as you see fit.

I'm very keen at looking at value, rather than just cost and for you, the value of points received in membership schemes is where you get your additional value.
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    It seems that you are just making it up as you go along So I'll make it patently clear; I don't use brokers because for me it's always cheaper direct.

As for your value/cost argument, that doesn't appear to apply to you, as it is I who appears to prefer premium brands and best value for money, rather than just the cheapest price.

Apart from that, you still have not come up with a broker who can beat my direct quote.

On top of all that I am getting additional benefits such as free rentals, extra driver etc. So even better value.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 10th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    It seems that you are just making it up as you go along So I'll make it patently clear; I don't use brokers because for me it's always cheaper direct.

As for your value/cost argument, that doesn't appear to apply to you, as it is I who appears to prefer premium brands and best value for money, rather than just the cheapest price.

Apart from that, you still have not come up with a broker who can beat my direct quote.

On top of all that I getting additional benefits such as free rentals etc. So even better value.
    whatever.
    enjoy your day.

• NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 10th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 9,958 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    whatever.
    enjoy your day.

I clearly am
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 10th Oct 16, 10:53 AM
    • 9,958 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    are you using your membership to get cheaper prices, I just tried hertz for those same dates and got £989 for the economy and £1027 for the compact.

Or am I looking at the wrong site. Hertz.co.uk

Edit just tried hertz.com and still got £989 and £1027
    Originally posted by photome
    Not using membership. Rates are open to all. I add my details after booking.

• Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 10th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    are you using your membership to get cheaper prices, I just tried hertz for those same dates and got £989 for the economy and £1027 for the compact.

Or am I looking at the wrong site. Hertz.co.uk

Edit just tried hertz.com and still got £989 and £1027
    I've just done the same and got exactly the same rates.
    Maybe we're not special enough to get the cheapy rates
    Via Hertz.co.uk direct and hertz.co.uk via Quidco
    Raleigh NC

• stevie11
    • By stevie11 10th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    stevie11
    Ok I am curious now, I have performed the hertz search using my original dates i.e. 1/3 to 29/3 and 1/3/ to 12/4 both from Greensboro with no discount or membership applied

1/3/ to 12/4
    Resulting in :Compact - £1052.91 Intermediate - £1088.31

1/3 to 29/3 : Compact - £701.94 Intermediate - £725.54

Searching Raleigh comes out a little cheaper.

So I cannot match NiftyDigits winning formula. Even logging in with my Hertz membership or adding a discount code.

I think the lesson hers is to search different providers, brokers and direct or ask NiftyDigits to book on our behalf
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Oct 16, 4:41 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    Not using membership. Rates are open to all. I add my details after booking.

Please let on as to how you are getting it cheaper than the rest of us that have tried
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    Could be helpful to many if nifty could let us know how he gets that price when no one else seems to be able to
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 14th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Nifty

Do you have an update of how you are getting the prices that none of us can match up ?
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 14-10-2016 at 5:08 PM.

• photome
    • By photome 14th Oct 16, 5:05 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    Nifty

Do you have an update of ho you are getting the prices that none of us can match up ?
    it is a bit strange as to why he hasnt been back with an update.He has been on the forum.

I regularly hire in the USA so it could save me a few quid
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 52,714 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We are on Alamo's mailing list and get offers. However, it's usually cheaper through rentalcars.

Did it via Quidco for the first time this summer.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    We are on Alamo's mailing list and get offers. However, it's usually cheaper through rentalcars.

Did it via Quidco for the first time this summer.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I usually use Alamobrits, have found them to be the cheapest recently and you can do online check in and walk straight to the car avoiding any queues.

Nifty will be along soon though to spread the news re Hertz
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 14th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    I usually use Alamobrits, have found them to be the cheapest recently and you can do online check in and walk straight to the car avoiding any queues.

Nifty will be along soon though to spread the news re Hertz
    the extra 'free' driver with Alamo Brits is always a Brucie (btw have you ever been asked for your copy of "Brits" ?)

Talking of the world of Hertz, I've just got a decent quote off them for next year, except for the $750 + taxes one way charge.

• photome
    • By photome 14th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    Never been asked for my copy., have you
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    still struggling to understand why nifty hasnt been back to let us in on how he can get these prices.

I am looking to hire a car next year in may for 13days

just as a comparison i have chosen a mid size/standard SUV

alamobrits is £327 all in, extra driver full tank etc.

rentalcars is (actually forgot to look but a small SUV is £324 plus extra for additional driver and full tank)

hertz is £480 didnt look to see what it includes

Avis is £460 again didnt check to see what it includes

this forum is all about helping others get the best deals

come on nifty
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 17th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Never been asked for my copy., have you
    I've not booked with Alamo for a while, as i've been put off by the idea of producing a book that I don't have ! Also, booking Alamo, via Expedia has worked out easier on the pocket, than Alamo direct.

still struggling to understand why nifty hasnt been back to let us in on how he can get these prices.

I am looking to hire a car next year in may for 13days

just as a comparison i have chosen a mid size/standard SUV

alamobrits is £327 all in, extra driver full tank etc.

rentalcars is (actually forgot to look but a small SUV is £324 plus extra for additional driver and full tank)

hertz is £480 didnt look to see what it includes

Avis is £460 again didnt check to see what it includes

this forum is all about helping others get the best deals

come on nifty
    thats a big old price difference for next year for you.
    Its looking like I'll be using Avis for leg # 2 next year. Their one way charge is minimal, they give a wife / partner as a free driver (they don't publicise it, but its deep down in the T&Cs) and they've got the class of car that I'm after.
    Alamo Brits / Alamo aren't offering the vehicle group that I'm after, plus charge a hefty one way charge.

Maybe Nifty been abducted by aliens and they're trying to extract the secret Hertz booking method from him/her
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 17-10-2016 at 5:55 PM.

• EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 17th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Dollar let you choose your car, which my children always enjoy doing.
    That's the way it's worked for me with Alamo the last few times, is it different at different airports?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 17th Oct 16, 5:59 PM
    • 19,383 Posts
    • 25,377 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    That's the way it's worked for me with Alamo the last few times, is it different at different airports?
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    hello Essex

I've mixed my bookings up
    Alamo let you choose. Dollar have sometimes let me choose. Avis & Budget are suscpetible to my children looking cute and asking nicely.

I've amended my post.

• photome
    • By photome 17th Oct 16, 6:48 PM
    • 12,002 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    I have always chosen my cars with dollar and Alamo

The biggest advantage I find with Alamo is that you can do online check in and go straight to the car without stopping at any desk/queue

To do that you do have to register with Alamo and give them a few details.

As for the guide, there does seem to be people posting saying they have been asked for it, so I may get one, it will still be worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,433Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter