Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 1886 7th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 406Posts
    • 365Thanks
    Cat bad behaviour (wanting food)
    • 7th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    Cat bad behaviour (wanting food) 7th Oct 16 at 7:35 PM
    We have a five year old male cat and in the last year he's became very, very vocal with when he wants feeding. It's got to the point where it's effecting our sleep.

This morning at 4.10am he decided he was hungry and then meowed over and over again outside the bedroom door. He used to be very well behaved but this behaviour has crept in slowly and now it's a problem.

I went down stairs and closed the kitchen door without feeding him that early as I don't want to encourage this behaviour. My wife says it's unfair to keep him closed in the kitchen.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why he's gradually got to be like this? We feed him at 7.00am one pouch of wet food and some dry food and then a pouch at 5.00-6.00pm whenever we're back from work. I don't think he's under fed, he just seems to want to eat 24/7.

When we feed him it's like he has'nt eaten for two days. A pouch is gone in less than a minute
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 7th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    Get him checked by a vet in case there is a medical reason for him being hungry.

Your vet can also check his weight and whether you are feeding him the right amount.
    • AntoMac
    • By AntoMac 7th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    AntoMac
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    It could be that he needs worming. Our cat gets a bit like this occasionally when he's near needing his next worming tablets.
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 46

Season Tkts (21%) 4/16, (28%) 5/16, (35%) 6/16, (42%) 7/16, (50%) 8/16, (63%) 9/16, (67%) 10/16, (79%) 11/16
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 13,844 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:54 PM
    Our cat sleeps in the kitchen most nights, it's where she has a bed up high, her food and water and her litter tray. Can't see why anybody would think this is unfair.
    • nicter
    • By nicter 7th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    nicter
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    noisy
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    One of ours became very noisy like this particularly at night and transpired he had thyroid problems. Once on medication the meowing stopped and peace reigned once more
    Also we feed ours ( 5 of them) a sachet morning and night and they have free access to biscuits
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 17,324 Posts
    • 39,421 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    Are you sure it's food he want and not your company? What happens if you leave your bedroom door open, does he come in and sleep or does he still cry?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 8th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 27,825 Posts
    • 51,048 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    He may have an overactive thyroid. One of my cats had this, she was always hungry and looked like skin and bones (despite being on medication, her weight was always a problem). Get him checked by a vet.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 8th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    I'd agree with everyone suggesting to get him checked over by a vet. My cat's always been one that begs for food. Recently that increased to the point of driving us mad. We took her to the vets and she's been diagnosed with an over active thyroid. I'm feeling guilty that I thought she was being greedy when she was ill
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 21,281 Posts
    • 81,843 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    We have a five year old male cat and in the last year he's became very, very vocal with when he wants feeding. It's got to the point where it's effecting our sleep.

This morning at 4.10am he decided he was hungry and then meowed over and over again outside the bedroom door. He used to be very well behaved but this behaviour has crept in slowly and now it's a problem.

I went down stairs and closed the kitchen door without feeding him that early as I don't want to encourage this behaviour. My wife says it's unfair to keep him closed in the kitchen.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why he's gradually got to be like this? We feed him at 7.00am one pouch of wet food and some dry food and then a pouch at 5.00-6.00pm whenever we're back from work. I don't think he's under fed, he just seems to want to eat 24/7.

When we feed him it's like he has'nt eaten for two days. A pouch is gone in less than a minute
    Originally posted by 1886
    Pouch sizes have been decreased over recent years and I wouldn't be surprised if the calorific value is much lower as a result. Most boxes say a cat should be having 3-4 pouches a day, which shows how little nutrition/energy is in each, to me (I vaguely remember when 2 tins fed 5 cats and a dog with the addition of some mixer crunchies for the mutt and they were not hungry until their next meal at 7pm the following night. Because pet food contained meat rather than grain and a bit of animal based slime).

As dry food is more calorie dense, that is likely to satisfy him more, so I'd try giving him more crunchies and upping the quality of what he's being given - Butcher's Classic is a cheap improvement upon the heavily marketed brands, and the kibble with more meat than starch doesn't have to be extortionately priced, as they do tend to adjust the quantities they eat after the initial few days of demolishing everything.

My two acted though they were starving when they had been given only wet food - and they had more than what you are feeding yours - I went back to buying relatively decent kibble and they were back to normal (ie, not chasing me around for food, hurling themselves into the fridge and cupboards as soon as they were opened, etc) within 48 hours. I was embarrassed to admit it on here, but I did - they were genuinely hungry. I expect your cat is quite active as well at his age.

You could start by trying leaving him a bowl of decent kibble overnight. See if that stops the 4am yowling. If not, I'd also wonder whether he could be seeing other cats in his garden and that's upsetting him, so when you get up, as he's reassured you're there, he thinks 'great, now you're up and the intruders have gone, I'm hungry'.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 9th Oct 16, 1:35 AM
    • 10,529 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    gettingready
    I have 4 boys and none of them would be happy with just 2 pouches a day plus some dry to be perfectly honest.

They have good quality dry available for them 24/7 and get 3 tins of cat food between them split into 2 meals. They never wake me up.

I do not shut my cats out of my bedroom though... If you only have one cat, maybe he gets lonely/scared? Has he always been locked out of your bedroom or is it recent change? How old is the cat?
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 9th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 10,127 Thanks
    GwylimT
    What is his mass?

Our cat is raw fed and eats around 300g a day and will sometimes also have an 85g pouch, shes a medium sized indoor cat. Even the best pouch food natures menu requires 3-4 pouches a day for a small adult cat.

To stop the crying you have to fulfil the need, eg company, food etc.
    • By 1886 9th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Thank you for all of the replies.

My cat weighs roughly 4kg. If we let him in to the bedroom at night he will still meow for food between 4.00-5.00am.

I find the information on the boxes of wet food very confusing. They all seem to say that a cat of a certain weight should have a different amount of wet pouches daily.

Our vet advised us against feeding him wet food. We are trying to get him to eat a dewormer tablet today and will start feeding him more dry food of a better quality and possibly less pouches.

If we made dry food available throughout the day I'm pretty sure it would be gone very, very quickly though. If nothing changes we'll book an appointment at the vets ie. thyroid

A couple of weeks ago I looked after a friend's three cats and they were SO well behaved. Not once did they meow for food, they just waited by the bowls. This made me realise just how bad our cats behaviour has gotten but he was'nt like this for the first 3-4 years. It's just crept in gradually
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 9th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 5,439 Posts
    • 10,127 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Two pouches is nowhere near enough, for a 4kg four 100g pouches are advised for a high meat content food, more would be needed if the food is in jelly, gravy and has a low meat content. Hunger is not poor behaviour.

Be careful with dry, it can cause all sorts of health problems and makes males more susceptible to urinary blockages.
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 9th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    I really would be wary about feeding him more dry food and less wet as it can cause urinary problems and the higher carb content can actually make them hungrier!
    Try feeding him an extra high protein wet meal at bed time and see if that keeps him quieter over night.
    Larger cans are better value and often better quality than supermarket sachets.....Bozita, Smilla or Animonda carny from Zooplus are all decent options.
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 9th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 10,529 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    gettingready
    Pls do not listen to your vet about giving more dry and less wet - has the vet recommenced any of the food HE sells by any chance for that?

Cats need meat, they need wet food.Unfortunately vets know very little about cat nutrition and try to push whatever they sell as "the best" - and it is not.

As Paddypaws above listed, have a look at GOOD quality brands of wet food at:

www.zooplus.co.uk

Free delivery on orders over £29.00 too. 2 pouches is nowhere near enough for a 4kg cat I am afraid. What brand are you feeding anyway?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Oct 16, 1:51 AM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 3,258 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I'm not surprised your poor cat is constantly hungry if he's only getting 200g per day of the poor quality brands from the supermarket.

It's not the dry food you need to increase (big mistake in male cats particularly) but the quality of the wet food you're feeding. You might get away with 200g a day of a good quality high protein food but certainly not with any of the supermarket rubbish such as Felix, Whiskas etc.
    • Poppy3008
    • By Poppy3008 10th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    Poppy3008
    I agree - the better quality food the happier your cat will be. Also, I now use an automatic feeder - I can fill for 4 days (only breakfast as I feed twice a day and feed her myself in the pm) so my cat knows the feeder will open at 7am and has stopped nagging us at 5am for food. Takes a week or so for them to get it - you can also record a message 'here puss puss' etc! mine thought it was ridiculous so I now leave it silent. I think it was and Andrew James one. best money I ever spent and can also go away for a few days without needing someone to come in and feed her!
    • tea lover
    • By tea lover 10th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 33,854 Thanks
    tea lover
    Just a quick note with regards to the amount cats need, it varies! My male, 11yr old cat gets two 85g pouches a day, and a few biscuits. He's a big cat (really big!) and definitely not wasting away on two pouches a day.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 27,825 Posts
    • 51,048 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Just a quick note with regards to the amount cats need, it varies! My male, 11yr old cat gets two 85g pouches a day, and a few biscuits. He's a big cat (really big!) and definitely not wasting away on two pouches a day.
    Originally posted by tea lover
    My two have two pouches a day between them and constant availability of dried food. They are 18 years old, fit as fiddles and one of them is quite fat. So, like humans, it varies greatly in what they need.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 11th Oct 16, 8:16 PM
    • 7,697 Posts
    • 11,225 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Agree with the posters who say it varies on what they need.

I have two 15 year old females, both have a pouch each in the morning and a pouch each in the evening with kibble left as well. One is a bit fat and the other is average weight. Both in good health and they've been fed on Felix all their lives.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,124Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter