Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 7th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 17,101Posts
    • 132,743Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    How much to tip the removal men
    • 7th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    How much to tip the removal men 7th Oct 16 at 6:47 PM

We have a removal company booked for Thursday - 4 men to load, 2 of them to drive and unload about 90 miles away. Their depot is about 70 miles from our new house,

I will be baking on Wedneday, and will buy their choice of lunch from the local deli, about £5 each. There will be as much tea, coffee and juice as they need.

The full bill is about £1000.

How much, if anything, to tip on top, please?
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 2
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 7th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    I had thought maybe of downsizing, and getting a flat. But if the removal could cost thousands, i'll stay where i am.
    Originally posted by SailorSam
    You can do it cheaper yourself if you have willing friends and family. I'm moving from an uncluttered 3 bed house, 5 miles down the road, not taking any white goods, packing ourselves, dismantling our own beds and rebuilding etc and it was still, cheapest quote, £836. We can hire a van for (max)£200 and do it ourselves. It's hard work but I can think of 636 reasons to do it ourselves. Not everyone's cup of tea but the 4 times I've moved I've done it myself and the other half worked on his dads firm when he did removals so refuses to pay someone else to do it anyway.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Oct 16, 11:56 PM
    • 9,247 Posts
    • 20,356 Thanks
    I had thought maybe of downsizing, and getting a flat. But if the removal could cost thousands, i'll stay where i am.
    Originally posted by SailorSam

It doesn't need to cost 'thousands'

As Levs01 has said, DIY is cheap

Even a long haul ( Surrey to Antrim) was less then a grand and that was them dismantling furniture, storage for a week, and rebuilding

I just booked space on a returning to Belfast Lorry. They would rather get a couple of hundred each from small pick ups then run an empty Lorry back to base

Even tonight I'm having a car bought over from England, cheaper then the ferry crossing for myself. Once again it was booking an empty space on a returning transporter
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 8th Oct 16, 7:55 AM
    • 17,101 Posts
    • 132,743 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    They will probably sort their own lunch out. There's always loads of hanging around when they've left the old house and before you get the keys to the new one, even allowing for the journey.
    Originally posted by Hoploz
    There'll be no hanging around - we are lucky enough to already have the keys to the new house
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 8th Oct 16, 7:58 AM
    • 17,101 Posts
    • 132,743 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Thank you everyone - your comments are much appreciated!
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 8th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    We paid £90 to hire a van and moved ourselves with the help of my cousin and father-in-law. We thanked them both by having them (and the families) round for takeaways but they did give their time for free.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 2,953 Thanks
    Can I piggyback on this? As a result of repairs to my flat my furniture is now in storage. I didn't tip the removal men. Should I tip them when they bring the stuff back? I'm not actually paying them as it is covered by insurance.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    Their firm will be charging a handsome figure if it's through insurance. Tip if you want, but there's no need to tip someone doing their job.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 8th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    When we moved our removal guys didn't even want brews (packed day before and then moved 40 miles). They were happy with water! They were the least fussy guys ever. Best £800 I've ever spent.

We had family do a DIY move recently. It was awful. We did point out that we hadn't even packed and moved our own house nevermind someone elses, and we hadn't seen them volunteer to help when we moved!
    • Bossworld
    • By Bossworld 8th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Paid £380, our move was short notice and included a bunch of awkwardly shaped items like IKEA bags.

Three lads and the truck, so gave a £30 tip with the intention they had £10 for a couple of pints each, although I'm not sure that's how the lad who took the cash handed it out lol
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 9th Oct 16, 7:54 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    We paid £450 for two Luton vans moving about three miles. I gave the two removal men £20 each. They were kind of expecting it, as it was the same two who'd moved us 18 months earlier and receivied £20 each.
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 09-10-2016 at 7:54 AM. Reason: Grammar
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,019Posts Today

6,400Users online

Martin's Twitter