Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Polgara69
    • By Polgara69 7th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Polgara69
    Joint mortgage advice please
    • 7th Oct 16, 6:13 PM
    Joint mortgage advice please 7th Oct 16 at 6:13 PM
    My boyfriend moved in with his foster nan about 14 years ago. She lived in a council house. After 2 years be bought the house and put the mortgage in his and his nans name. He didn't want her to think he was going buy the house and kick her out. He paid the mortgage off a few years later and its now mortgage free.
    The problem is nan is now talking about going into a home. She is 93 and doesn't want to be on her own so much (he spends half the week with me at our house) He is worried that if she does he will have to sell the house to pay for her home fees.
    Any idea where he stands? Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 8,873 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    He wouldn't have had any choice but to have a joint mortgage since he would have made a joint application with his foster nan (the tenant) in order to use the tenant's RTB discount. He has paid the mortgage and in effect his foster man supplied the deposit.

As a legal owner of the property the local authority will take it into account when means testing her.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/paying-for-permanent-residential-care/
    Last edited by Pixie5740; 09-10-2016 at 9:12 AM. Reason: damn autocorrect
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Polgara69
    • By Polgara69 8th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Polgara69
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    Thankyou but as the post shows, it only doesn't include the house in your assets if it is still occupied by any of these people....

your partner or former partner, unless they are estranged from you
    your estranged or divorced partner IF they are also a lone parent
    a relative who is aged 60 or over
    a child of yours aged under 18
    a relative who is disabled.

I can't find anything about owning it jointly with any other family member. And he will still be living there. It's his home too.
    Last edited by Polgara69; 08-10-2016 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 8,873 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    Is your boyfriend:

* His foster nan's partner or former partner (I'm guessing not)
    * Aged over 60 (he possibly is I don't know)
    * His foster nan's child and under 18 (if she's his foster nan he can't be her child and if he's named on the mortgage he can't be under 18 so that's a no.)
    * Is he a disabled relative of his foster nan's (no idea as you haven't given enough information)

So do any of the conditions actually apply to your boyfriend? Does he actually live with his foster nan or does he really live with you?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Polgara69
    • By Polgara69 9th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Polgara69
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    He lived with her full time until he met me and then we bought our house and now he spends half the week with me and half with her. He can't just leave her on her own as she is 93. He is 41 lol. This is why I'm struggling to find an answer. He clearly doesn't fit any of the criteria but he does jointly own the house with his nan.
    • SammenForLivet2
    • By SammenForLivet2 9th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    SammenForLivet2
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    He lived with her full time until he met me and then we bought our house and now he spends half the week with me and half with her. He can't just leave her on her own as she is 93. He is 41 lol. This is why I'm struggling to find an answer. He clearly doesn't fit any of the criteria but he does jointly own the house with his nan.
    Originally posted by Polgara69
    Sorry to say - but could the answer be the one that your not looking for? It's a complex situation, I'd call the relevant authority for advice. Likely to be very discretionary based on what's been mentioned.
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
    Although I work in the trenches for a residential energy supplier, any views, opinions or ideas are my own, and don't represent the views of my employer.
    • Polgara69
    • By Polgara69 10th Oct 16, 5:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Polgara69
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:47 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 5:47 AM
    Thank you all.
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 10th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    If I were he local authority, my opening position would be that the Deprivation of Assets in this case would be the difference between the value of the property today and that of the mortgage that the BF has paid off.

This is in effect the nan's "asset" that has been put out of reach.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter