Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 7th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 3,589Posts
    • 14,921Thanks
    droopsnout
    Is MSE geolocked now?
    • 7th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    Is MSE geolocked now? 7th Oct 16 at 5:17 PM
    Trying to access from France, but won't load any MSE page.

So how did I get here? Used a VPN.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,015 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    I hope not, we would miss you ...
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! Current projects: 2 shawls, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 7th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 15,702 Posts
    • 28,642 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    I'm in France - no problems here. (And no VPN either.)
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 7th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 7,899 Posts
    • 22,480 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    I'll let you know when I'm next abroad
    "We thought that everything the Soviet government told us about capitalism was a lie. Imagine the shock when we discovered that all of it was absolutely true."

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Next stop: Valetta, Vienna, Sofia
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,015 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    BTW, I am assuming that droopsnout has tried getting in from wherever he's been able to do so in the past.

I have had problems in foreign parts with connections in cafes etc not always being happy to load MSE. And as for using a dongle ... that was so consistently bad I just gave up!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

• droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 8th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 14,921 Thanks
    droopsnout
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    Very strange. I was able to come straight back here without a VPN, yet when I try to go to www.moneysavingexpert.com, I get this Message:

Error code 22

The proxy failed to resolve site from host name, if this site was recently added please allow a few minutes before trying again.

2016-10-08 12:59:38 UTC

• Your IPxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    • |Proxy IP185.11.125.83(ID 10465)
    • Origin Server IPX.X.X.82
    Or sometimes:

Error code 20

The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout.

2016-10-08 13:12:08 UTC

• Your IPxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    • |Proxy IP185.11.125.83(ID 10465)
    • Origin Server IPX.X.X.82

I've removed my own IP as you see, and the Xs in the "Origin Server" line are as presented on screen., but that proxy IP is odd. I've checked my Windows settings and there is no proxy set in there. I have no problem accessing any other site. And why easy access to this page but not to MSE's home page?

If I click on the link at the very top of this page, I get the error message, too.

Thanks for enlightenment.

SavvySue, you are too kind, but in fact I haven't posted here for ages - well not like I used to. (Last post 12 March 2015??) The Silver Surfers Living Abroad thread died, didn't it? 84 pages up to 16 April 2015. We really do need a French equivalent of MSE, you know!

Edit: Yes, Sue, posting from home, same home as before.
    Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. - Thomas Sowell, "Is Reality Optional?", 1993
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,015 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    SavvySue, you are too kind, but in fact I haven't posted here for ages - well not like I used to. (Last post 12 March 2015??) The Silver Surfers Living Abroad thread died, didn't it? 84 pages up to 16 April 2015. We really do need a French equivalent of MSE, you know!
    Originally posted by droopsnout
    No, I know you haven't been around as much as you used to, hadn't realised it was THAT long. We could always resurrect the Living Abroad thread or start a new one if you wanted, it did always go in fits and starts. A bit off topic here, but I know some of my 'living abroad' friends are slightly concerned about the consequences of Brexit ...

• droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 9th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 14,921 Thanks
    droopsnout
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    I am hugely concerned, especially this week as I transferred a large sum of money from the UK to France on Monday, and the rate I got was £1 = 1.1235€, whereas when I last did it, in December, I got 1.4077€. That's a hell of a whack! It's even worse today, of course, after that midweek plunge that the BBC reports was short-lived. (No, it wasn't!)

But I see that there is already a Brexit discussion that my old friend gfplux is taking part in. I read the last few posts in that thread yesterday, and was tempted to reply, but I thought that if I did, I would spend hours debating the issue when really I should be getting on with other things!

Fond memories, though! And I'm still in touch via email with one or two of the contributors to that old thread.

My very best wishes to you, and I hope you are in the best of health. x
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 6,796 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    I've no idea, but maybe known VPN servers are blocked from accessing MSE as part of the site's attempts to thwart DDoS attacks...?
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 9th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 7,899 Posts
    • 22,480 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    Marco says it works in Spain, and Lina says it works in Belarus. That's both the main site and the forum.

That's all I know, and hope this helps.
    "We thought that everything the Soviet government told us about capitalism was a lie. Imagine the shock when we discovered that all of it was absolutely true."

"I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Next stop: Valetta, Vienna, Sofia
    • droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 11th Oct 16, 1:11 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 14,921 Thanks
    droopsnout
    Thank you for all your replies. It does seem to be something at my end, but I've no idea what as I can't tie it up with a similar error occurring at any other site.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Oct 16, 2:31 AM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,015 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Thank you for all your replies. It does seem to be something at my end, but I've no idea what as I can't tie it up with a similar error occurring at any other site.
    I know you've tried it on a VPN and I'm a bit iggorant about these things, but have you tried it on more than one computer wherever the problem first started, and in more than one place other than the VPN?

Does that make ANY sense?

• droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 12th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 14,921 Thanks
    droopsnout
    Yes it does, and no, I haven't.

Your tech guys/gals have contacted me with a question, and I have just sent a reply.

It's very good of them to look into this.

I will try to connect from a different machine, or even from my smartphone, and see what happens.

Thanks, Sue.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 14,875 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I was peeved when find my smartphone took to insisting I use the new layout not the comfortable green. So I closed the page & tried again from google all the way through & hurrah, I'm back in green again. Smartphones can be a bit dumb some days. Meilleurs Voeux!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 36,798 Posts
    • 33,015 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Yes it does, and no, I haven't.

Your tech guys/gals have contacted me with a question, and I have just sent a reply.

It's very good of them to look into this.

I will try to connect from a different machine, or even from my smartphone, and see what happens.
    That's good to know, I did report your post in the hope that would prompt an answer.

The thing is, if it's not a geolocking thing (which it clearly isn't), then it's unlikely to be just you it's affecting, whatever it is, so they really ought to investigate and sort out.

• droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 13th Oct 16, 5:53 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 14,921 Thanks
    droopsnout
    Just tried to connect using my smartphone. I got the same error message. It was connecting via my home wifi router.

I switched of wifi on the phone, forcing it to connect via its mobile phone signal. It connected to the site quickly!

That would indicate - to my simple mind, at least - that there is something amiss in my router.

Thanks for the extra info, Sue.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 20,293 Thanks
    D_M_E
    I'm in the UK so no need to go through a VPN - I'm getting the TCP timeout error message today but not all the time and this only started today.

Also, the IP address it gives where it says your IP is etc is definitely not mine could it be a problem with the IP trace algorithm?
    • wellynever
    • By wellynever 13th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    wellynever
    Got the TCP error here to UK.

So site not router problem.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 20,293 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Been getting the TCP error for about 2 hours now and only with MSE.

According to the error message, I'm somewhere in Turkey and the IP address it gives for me starts with 78.

Strange as I'm right now right in the middle of England and not on a VPN or proxy.

Also, I type up a post hit the submit button, the post gets posted and I'm logged out at the same time.

Could this be something to do with Win 10 anniversary update?

I've not noticed any of this when on a tablet.
    • droopsnout
    • By droopsnout 13th Oct 16, 1:03 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 14,921 Thanks
    droopsnout
    Curiouser and curiouser!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

604Posts Today

3,677Users online

Martin's Twitter