Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fivebobeach
    • By fivebobeach 7th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 17Thanks
    fivebobeach
    Amex Preferred Rewards Gold
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:35 PM
    Amex Preferred Rewards Gold 7th Oct 16 at 4:35 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but I wonder if someone more learned than me could clarify.

I have had the MBNA Diamond Club Amex & Visa for years, but MBNA are closing it down at the end of November and offering a standard MBNA Credit Card as replacement. I used the Diamond cards to collect Avios, but in a correspondence from MBNA this morning no rewards have been mentioned for the replacement.

That being the case I am going to cancel the MBNA cards, and I have just taken out the Amex Preferred Rewards Gold card for the Avios rewards.

My question is. I recently benefitted from MBNA when the Credit Card "Section 75" rule paid me back when Low Cost Holidays went bust. I intend to use my new Amex Gold for all my spending now, but as Amex Gold is a CHARGE CARD and not a CREDIT CARD, can someone tell me if Section 75 applies to that card also?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 7th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 7th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    Charge cards aren’t covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/what-is-the-difference-between-a-charge-card-and-a-credit-card/0017265/
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 8th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    AmEx offer chargeback on their chargecards.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/20/section-75-chargeback
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 8th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 7,867 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:11 AM
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Yes but it's only a voluntary scheme, section 75 is legally enforceable.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 9th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    Yes but it's only a voluntary scheme, section 75 is legally enforceable.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    There is little practical difference, of course, unless you can provide details of where AmEx have not delivered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin