Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miró
    • By Miró 7th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 5,259Posts
    • 21,451Thanks
    Miró
    iPad mini, more storage needed - upgrade or expand existing storage?
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    iPad mini, more storage needed - upgrade or expand existing storage? 7th Oct 16 at 4:22 PM
    I have a 4 yr old iPad mini (16gb) which is in constant use and still works perfectly. However, I am running out of storage and would shortly like to be able to access a selection of films on some long haul travel I am about to undertake. I cannot decide if it would be better to upgrade to a new 64gb iPad or to go for some mobile storage such as

http://www.leefco.com/ibridge

I did go into PC World, (don't laugh!), and asked about this sort of mobile storage for iPads and iPhones but the Apple person there told me that nothing like that existed!

Does anyone have any experience of using anything similar or have any thoughts re the pros and cons of an upgrade v additional storage?

Many thanks

(P.S. Don't want to use Cloud!)
    "Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    Before lookling at your link, i would have told you the same thing the PC world joker told you !!

Every day's a school day.

Pros of additional storage :- More storage, smaller cost
    Cons of additional storage :- No new shiny idevice

If indeed that storage device works like it claims to, then i dont know how you could justify replacing a fully working device that your only problem with is that it doesnt have enough storage
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Mir!;71418674
    I did go into PC World, (don't laugh!), and asked about this sort of mobile storage for iPads and iPhones but the Apple person there told me that nothing like that existed!

(P.S. Don't want to use Cloud!)[/QUOTE]

There is something and Apple make it, it's an adapter that plugs into the charge/sync socket which will then take an SD card, I use one myself to when I'm on holiday and I want to transfer photos from my camera to Facebook etc.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 7th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 7th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Exactly why I prefer Android (or other) to iStuff.

By the way there is nothing wrong with nipping off into PC World to kick a few tyres and wind up the staff on a boring shopping expedition with the other half, just don't buy anything and don't listen to their advice
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 8th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 3,565 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    sillygoose
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    There are mobile drives with built in rechargeable power supplies that you can connect to via wifi.. can Apple devices not connect to something like that even?

first one of the search, probably plenty similar..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Wireless-Portable-Mobile-Storage/dp/B00AZIRNP2/

says its compatible with IOS...
    • Miró
    • By Miró 13th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 21,451 Thanks
    Miró
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    Thanks again for responding...much appreciated.

Just thought I would pop back to say that I bought the iBridge gadget in the end and I am very pleased with it. It seems happy to handle most formats for video, audio, images and docs and it is dead easy to drag and drop whatever you wish onto the device from the desktop/laptop. I do think the wireless portable storage might have been a better buy as it would have freed up the lightening port for simultaneous charging but the cheapest would have been double the cost of the iBridge. Also I was not entirely sure about being able to use one on a flight??!

"Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

7,796Users online

Martin's Twitter