Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hutman
    • By hutman 7th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 15Thanks
    hutman
    Chavs in the office
    • 7th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    Chavs in the office 7th Oct 16 at 1:13 PM
    Recently joined a company, and i cannot believe the amount of chavs it employs.

Before I cause uproar I don’t mean to use the word in a derogatory/offensive way just that their nature has sparked my curiosity. Given that we sometimes pass them on the street and don’t think twice, it is bemusing to be inhabited in a small place with these people.

Before I go on, I'm generally referring to chavs as white, lowly educated with an east end dialect. I'm sure there are many more variations - they even seem to be camouflaged in gentry attire until they open their mouths.

What they talk about

It’s a subject I'm genuinely bemused about. After talk of football becomes worn out and unfashionable - these people tend to open up to subjects which seem so arbitrary - shoes/Nandos/cars/tv marathons/Ibiza - just reveals how distracted their minds are so they sit on a computer desk. These folk are nice people often not thinking beyond their primary means and I’ve attempted to bring up something on current affairs to challenge their minds. But the response is a mix of blank followed by some reference to thoughtless banter/joke similar to how a fart achieves birth.

How they seem

Would say the hardcore chavs around me are permanently fluxed in a state of distraction. Any musings about life/existence do not last beyond a 5 second interval. Most of their spare time is consumed on Netflix marathons & hanging around each other probably talking about Netflix marathons. I mean at no point does the adult creature seem to provoke any intellectual curiosity (ok sometimes they look out of the office window and complain about the rain - just them looking at the sky for than 4 secs sometimes gives me an ounce of excitement that hope is not lost).

Away from the amusing parts of my observations - I wish I could ignore them! The central gripe is one about how these chavs got jobs. I mean their input can’t be much better than a half educated 11 year old but yet they find themselves into the city. As we move into the digital/techfin times - their lack of value seems more stark and underlines a vast productivity gap this country likes to endorse. It’s not only a case of skills/value – they don’t even carry a mind-set to improve or challenge themselves. Challenges or problems are normally greeted with a storm of trashy expletives before being suppressed and delegated to someone else.

When I look at my reflection in the office toilet mirror I ask – Was I once a chav?
    Last edited by hutman; 07-10-2016 at 1:43 PM.
Page 2
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 7th Oct 16, 11:00 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 2,810 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    I wish I could ignore them!
    Originally posted by hutman
    This could easily be achieved by resigning!
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 7th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 1,332 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Is it too late to suggest ignoring the troll?
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 8th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 3,356 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    robatwork
    Your OP read a bit like an excerpt from a John Updike novel.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 17,328 Posts
    • 39,427 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Could you get any further up your own @rse, OP?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • andygb
    • By andygb 8th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 11,030 Posts
    • 22,980 Thanks
    andygb
    At the end of the day, you go to work - to work.
    The people who you meet at work are simply colleagues, maybe mates, maybe people who you wouldn't talk to out of work.
    If you are really that bothered about them, then get another job, and if you manage that, then you can worry about the next crowd of people who you will be working with.
    • w00519772
    • By w00519772 9th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    w00519772
    Recently joined a company, and i cannot believe the amount of chavs it employs.

Before I cause uproar I donít mean to use the word in a derogatory/offensive way just that their nature has sparked my curiosity. Given that we sometimes pass them on the street and donít think twice, it is bemusing to be inhabited in a small place with these people.

Before I go on, I'm generally referring to chavs as white, lowly educated with an east end dialect. I'm sure there are many more variations - they even seem to be camouflaged in gentry attire until they open their mouths.

What they talk about

Itís a subject I'm genuinely bemused about. After talk of football becomes worn out and unfashionable - these people tend to open up to subjects which seem so arbitrary - shoes/Nandos/cars/tv marathons/Ibiza - just reveals how distracted their minds are so they sit on a computer desk. These folk are nice people often not thinking beyond their primary means and Iíve attempted to bring up something on current affairs to challenge their minds. But the response is a mix of blank followed by some reference to thoughtless banter/joke similar to how a fart achieves birth.

How they seem

Would say the hardcore chavs around me are permanently fluxed in a state of distraction. Any musings about life/existence do not last beyond a 5 second interval. Most of their spare time is consumed on Netflix marathons & hanging around each other probably talking about Netflix marathons. I mean at no point does the adult creature seem to provoke any intellectual curiosity (ok sometimes they look out of the office window and complain about the rain - just them looking at the sky for than 4 secs sometimes gives me an ounce of excitement that hope is not lost).

Away from the amusing parts of my observations - I wish I could ignore them! The central gripe is one about how these chavs got jobs. I mean their input canít be much better than a half educated 11 year old but yet they find themselves into the city. As we move into the digital/techfin times - their lack of value seems more stark and underlines a vast productivity gap this country likes to endorse. Itís not only a case of skills/value Ė they donít even carry a mind-set to improve or challenge themselves. Challenges or problems are normally greeted with a storm of trashy expletives before being suppressed and delegated to someone else.

When I look at my reflection in the office toilet mirror I ask Ė Was I once a chav?
    In my experience people talk about what they have in common. Maybe you could make more of an effort? Remember they are your work colleagues; not necessarily your friends.
    • Andrew Ryan 89
    • By Andrew Ryan 89 9th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Andrew Ryan 89
    It's good to have have friends and colleagues to have an intellectual conversation with at work but I would go crazy if that was 99% of all the conversations we had. If you don't like their banter, simply ignore them and find someone else to speak to.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 10th Oct 16, 9:48 AM
    • 16,108 Posts
    • 25,651 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    I think what you're really seeing is just popular youth culture, not 'chav-dom'.

I've always worked in 'educated' workplaces (e.g. minimum requirements is a degree, but quite a few people have masters or higher). Guess what? We talk about what TV series we're watching, stuff we've bought, where we're going on holiday, funny stuff that's happened at the weekend. Normal, human, relatable things.

People avoid topics like religion and politics, and generally anything too controversial. It's avoids causing trouble in the workplace.

So get down with the Netflix. I'd suggest binge watching Stranger Things!
    • YouAsked
    • By YouAsked 10th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    YouAsked
    Away from the amusing parts of my observations...
    Are they in a different post?
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 10th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    seashore22
    Always thought I was middle class, so thank you op for the revelation that I'm a chav. I honestly had no idea.

From a Nandos eating, Amazon buying, Netflix binging chav.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 10th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 318 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    seashore22
    Is it too late to suggest ignoring the troll?
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Probably.

Apparently "probably" isn't long enough to be a proper post. Who knew.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 10th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 16,108 Posts
    • 25,651 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    #MiddleClassNandosEatingNetflixWatchingAmazonBuyin gChav too

Although, I get 20% off Nandos thanks to the wife's NHS discount, yay!
    Last edited by ringo_24601; 10-10-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 10th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    Well according to the OP I fall into the category of being a chav as I am of London origin and did not do great in my education, All I can say to you OP is you seem to be a delusional idiot with far too much time on your hands and if you dislike these people then simply quit the job and move on.

As a side note I have not taken offence to your post and find that you are quite a sad individual that may need extreme medical assistance asap.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,433Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter