Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hanb
    • By hanb 7th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 410Posts
    • 995Thanks
    hanb
    Do I need to chuck the chook?
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    Do I need to chuck the chook? 7th Oct 16 at 12:17 PM
    Hi all,

Roasted a chicken on Monday evening and had leftovers Tuesday. Then last night I used the rest of it to make a pie but our visitors couldn't make it so now there's half a very tasty pie sat in the fridge and I don't know whether it can be eaten?

I've searched here and online with varying outcomes about reheating chicken twice so thought I'd start a post to ask - apologies if there's something more recent that I've missed!

Can we reheat the pie meaning the chicken would be reheated twice? Or do I need to just chuck it out? Seems such a waste when we've been trying really hard to stop that but I really don't want to be ill I know the government suggest only reheating anything once but they are bound to be cautious with advice to the masses!
Page 1
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 13,857 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    I'd eat it but only after it's been thoroughly reheated again.
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 7th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,165 Thanks
    Slowly57
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:32 PM
    From what I've read, it isn't the reheating (as long as it is thorough and hot enough) - it's the cooling and storing each time where the probs start (bacteria party lol).

I'd be inclined to chuck it. I'd rather waste it than be sick - and you've already had the roast and half a pie anyway.

And if you heated the pie (with the roast chicken leftovers in it) then the chicken in the remaining half will be on reheat number 3 (1 cook roast, one heat pie and potentially another for the remaining half of pie).

I find it very hard to chuck food so I know it doesn't feel right - but gastric probs aren't worth risking.
    2016 | Dec GC £88.00/£200.00 | Nov GC £233.00/£200 | Oct GC £243.82/£200
    2017 | Additional annual YS & "it's a bargain!" float £000.00/£100.00
    • NewShadow
    • By NewShadow 7th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 7,751 Thanks
    NewShadow
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    Eat it cold?

Love cold pie I do...

I'd eat it either way personally.

ETA - I can't find ANYTHING official that says you can't reheat chicken safety twice.

Just that reheating mean's 'recooking' - not 'rewarming'.

Lot's of forums with 'my mother always said' type advice (no offence).

Anyone seen anything official on this?
    Last edited by NewShadow; 07-10-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    If you know something's wrong, and you won't stand up because you're scared - tell me and I'll stand with you.

If you won't stand because you can't be bothered... I don't even want to know you.

21.1mi May, 16.3mi Jun,18.9mi Jul,
    • hanb
    • By hanb 7th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    hanb
    • 7th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    food.gov website says:

"Remember, reheating means cooking again, not just warming up. To make sure that cooked or reheated food is safe to eat, always check it is very hot (steaming) all the way through and then, if you need to, let it cool a little before serving it to a child. You should only reheat food once."

But that can't make sense with all cases. Things like soup - lots of people use tins of soup for sauces and would reheat more than once because it's cooked when you open the tin, reheated when made in to a sauce and then reheated again as leftovers - maybe not the best example but saw it elsewhere when looking for an answer for my pie!

They also say not to eat food after it's use by date but that's not always the case either!

Hmmm still on the fence on what to do!

Thanks for your advice/opinions though!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 7th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 41,714 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    • 7th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    If it's any help in making up your mind, when we roast a chicken I always make a curry using the leftover cooked meat, and we eat half of it and the rest goes in the freezer, then I make sure the frozen curry is very hot before we eat it
    We've never suffered any ill effects
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 7th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ariarnia
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    I'd also just heat it and eat it.

It's only been a day and it's been in the fridge.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 13,936 Posts
    • 108,699 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    I too would reheat it and eat it as its been in the fridge and not sitting around .piping hot throughout would be the best, although cold chicken pie with salad is delicious
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 7th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,165 Thanks
    Slowly57
    • 7th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 5:00 PM
    But that can't make sense with all cases. Things like soup - lots of people use tins of soup for sauces and would reheat more than once because it's cooked when you open the tin, reheated when made in to a sauce and then reheated again as leftovers - maybe not the best example but saw it elsewhere when looking for an answer for my pie!
    Originally posted by hanb
    Umm ... well, I think for me, it would be the fact that it's chicken, given that campylobacter seems to be rather common in it. Mind you, I'm a bit paranoid as I had to avoid eggs and some dairy stuff because I have had horrible stomach probs in the past

I think with commercial kitchens they'd have chillers and all kinds of kit to enable it to be done to health + safety standards (ie ready meals). It seems to be how rapidly it has been cooled after being cooked in the first place rather than how it has been stored since. How the hell did our great, greats get on without all this science ?
    Last edited by Slowly57; 07-10-2016 at 5:05 PM.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 7th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 8,754 Posts
    • 60,964 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Freeze it or eat it cold, as long as it has been in the fridge it will be perfectly safe
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • JIL
    • By JIL 7th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 15,806 Thanks
    JIL
    I would wimp out and it would be in the bin. I'm sure it would be ok, but if I cook a chicken on a Sunday it has to be all gone by Wednesday at the very latest. However I have made a chicken lasagne with cooked chicken, then it's cooked again, then I freeze it so in effect that gets a third cooking.
    • sooty&sweep
    • By sooty&sweep 7th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    sooty&sweep
    Reheat well & enjoy xxx
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 7th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 27,010 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    I'd eat it cold, no re-heating. As long as it's not been sat out in the warm, it'll be fine. I make leftovers pies a couple of times a month, and the remains will go back into the fridge & be eaten cold by most of the household, and we're almost never ill.

However, if you'd rather have it hot - yes, make sure it's piping hot. It's lukewarm that's the problem...
    Angie

GC 09/16 - £519.18/£520 GC 10/16 - £548.92/£500 GC Nov 16 - £536.73/£520
    GC 12/16 - £244.50/£550- now feeding 4 adults, 2 cats, 2 cockatiels and 11 chickens

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • hanb
    • By hanb 7th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    hanb
    We're braving it.. if you don't hear from me again, you know it was the wrong choice!
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 7th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    ariarnia
    Question to those people that would eat it cold but not hot:

What's the difference between eating it cold and reheating it?

I mean, do the extra bacteria breed during the heating process (at which point could you take it directly from the fridge to a hot oven)

or is it while you're actually lifting the food to your mouth (at which point eat faster )

but more seriously, doesn't the cold pie warm to room temp while you're serving up and isn't that the same?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 7th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 5,657 Thanks
    theoretica
    Question to those people that would eat it cold but not hot:

What's the difference between eating it cold and reheating it?

I mean, do the extra bacteria breed during the heating process (at which point could you take it directly from the fridge to a hot oven)

or is it while you're actually lifting the food to your mouth (at which point eat faster )

but more seriously, doesn't the cold pie warm to room temp while you're serving up and isn't that the same?
    Originally posted by ariarnia
    I think it makes a difference how you have your meal - anything I would eat cold I would also eat for a quick lunch having zapped it in the microwave to warm and not necessarily fully hot. For a leisurely meal with others I would expect it to sit around warm for longer and so heat it properly all through.

I wouldn't confine myself to only two cookings of chicken:
    Cook chicken = 1
    Boil carcase for stock = 2
    Make soup from stock = 3
    So 3 cookings before you think about reheating the soup, unless you go straight from stock to soup, but I might not want that.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • hanb
    • By hanb 9th Oct 16, 4:38 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    hanb
    Just in case anyone is wondering, we are alive! Reheated the pie to 'VERY hot' in the microwave and neither of us had any kind of adverse reaction.. and the pie was delicious! I wouldn't risk another reheat but I think a 3rd cook/2nd reheat, as long as it was kept in the fridge and thoroughly reheated will be done again!

Thanks again for your advice/opinions
    • Slowly57
    • By Slowly57 9th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 2,165 Thanks
    Slowly57
    YAY glad it all worked out YAY!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter