Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pedge1511
    • By pedge1511 7th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pedge1511
    0 WOW
    Help with Thomson holiday complaint.
    • 7th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    0 WOW
    Help with Thomson holiday complaint. 7th Oct 16 at 10:52 AM
    Hi,

Just looking for some help with a complaint I have made regarding my holiday with Thomson's. I traveled to Marmaris, Turkey in August with my girlfriend. Long story short we stayed at the Casa De Maris which was part of Thomson's Platinum range. Our first concerns about the hotel related to the riots in Turkey. A few days before we flew we read a review about the hotel. It mentioned how the hotel had been targeted during the riots and there are still bullet holes in the windows. Obviously this was a worry for us, should Thomson's have informed us of this?

We had various other concerns with the hotel which included the Thomson's Rep photographing our possessions and showing hotel staff. However the main complaint and most serious, happened on our final night. Just before midnight my partner went to the pool bar to get us some drinks. On the way she visited the toilets located to the side of the pool. She was followed by one of the hotel managers who shut her in the toilet and demanded to have sex with her. She attempted to get past him and screamed. He continued to insist that they have sex. Eventually my partner managed to push past him and run away. Straight away we complained to the hotel staff.
    Obviously the complain was escalated, however the staff where not helpful. They walked us around the hotel pointing at random staff despite us already telling them who it was. In my opinion the staff member had planned it as he had spent the previous day finding out about our flight times etc. As the staff are aware, the Thomsons rep was off on that day so we had nobody from Thomsons to speak to directly.

When we returned we complained to Thomsons. After being told that a letter has been sent to us I finally got sick of waiting for it and called them. I was told all Thomsons would offer us is some counseling. The lady who I spoke to was very unhelpful and commented that they are a buisness and would never accept liability for what happened. She went on to say that the hotel is investigating what happened but the results of the investigation would remain confidential. I explained that I was concerned that other guests in the hotel may be targeted by the staff member but this was again brushed aside. She stated that this was the final decision on the matter and if I wanted to take it further I would have to instruct a solicitor.

I don't feel that Thomson's have helped us in any way or dealt with our complaint in a professional manner. Is there anything else I can do to escalate this complaint? The lady I spoke to said that they never offer compensation, however our holiday was ruined by what happened so I feel that we are entitled to something.

Thanks for the help.
Page 2
    • meer53
    • By meer53 9th Oct 16, 4:39 PM
    • 8,364 Posts
    • 11,921 Thanks
    meer53
    I'm a tosser because I disagree with you... Ok.

I think the confusion is probably that not all women get harassed in Turkey, and you are likely either one of those women, or married to one of those women

Or. Should I change my opinion of Turks because you disagree?

Originally posted by Mr Wangers Wang
    You can have your opinion, same as i can have mine, you just need to learn how to express your opinion in an adult way. There are lots of lecherous males in the UK and other countries.
    • Moto2
    • By Moto2 9th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 2,092 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    Moto2
    There are lots of lecherous males in the UK and other countries.
    Originally posted by meer53
    I'm sure there is, I've certainly never come across the 'feeding frenzy' that my daughters were subjected to.

Never, anywhere and we've been to lots of places in Europe and the US
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 9th Oct 16, 6:01 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    No you are a tosser because you are rude and are making sweeping generalisations (as has also been noted on earlier threads).

Dragging the thread off the "I'm a more experienced traveller " willy waving and back on topic , did you make a police report OP ?
    Originally posted by duchy
    The irony of calling someone a tosser and claiming it is because they are rude. You are rude, ignorant and giving dangerous advice out on something you know nothing about. How about you step back from the keyboard (at which you clearly spend an awful lot of time, 17,000 posts) and get out and see the world from outside, not through your mums box bedroom save for the weekly shop to Aldi.

I stick by what I said about Turkish men, but don't take my word for it. Take the other users on here that have experienced the same misogynistic scumbags.

Here is some of the recent stories coming out of Turkey from various news agencies:

Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/13/turkey-associate-membership-eu

Telegraph: http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/04/07/the-spiral-of-violence-how-misogyny-in-turkey-threatens-democracy-and-peace/

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31709887

Telesur: http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Turkish-Feminists-Fear-Escalating-Misogyny-After-Coup-Attempt--20160721-0017.html

IGBTnews: https://lgbtinewsturkey.com/2016/08/12/trans-woman-burned-and-murdered/

Middle East eye: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-lgbt-activists-demand-justice-after-brutal-murder-transgender-woman-1969148655

I could go on and on.

*you can insult me now, because I still have a different opinion to you *
    Last edited by Mr Wangers Wang; 09-10-2016 at 6:13 PM.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 16, 6:40 PM
    • 15,008 Posts
    • 88,504 Thanks
    maman
    I'm a tosser because I disagree with you... Ok.

I think the confusion is probably that not all women get harassed in Turkey, and you are likely either one of those women, or married to one of those women

Or. Should I change my opinion of Turks because you disagree?

Originally posted by Mr Wangers Wang
    Despite your extensive travel in Turkey you haven't met all Turks so you are making a generalisation. That's why I disagree
    For all the unpleasant Turks you've been unfortunate to meet I could introduce you to a charming one.
    I'm not saying all Turks are charming.... that would be a generalisation.
    • Mr Wangers Wang
    • By Mr Wangers Wang 9th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Mr Wangers Wang
    Of course I haven't met all Turks, neither have you.

But look, how about we just agree to disagree. You continue holidaying there, I'll continue avoiding it.

• gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 3,621 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Not wanting to take sides or make any generalisations but ...

I vowed never to return to Turkey following a fortnight there in 2005 - the Bodrum Peninsula (can't remember the resort)

My twin daughter were then 15 and truly beautiful girls, long blonde hair etc.
    It was truly impossible to walk out of an evening without them being subjected to constant advances from lecherous locals.
    It was the most upsetting experience I've had in all our time going away as a family.
    Originally posted by Moto2
    When we went to Tunisa many many moons ago our son then aged 6 attracted a lot of attention as he had blonde hair. Apparently blonde hair was / is considered lucky.

It did unnerve me though.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 10th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 6,713 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I've had first hand reports of how women travelling without a man have been treated/assaulted in Egypt. Plus the constant hassle fair women can get in Turkey. Yes it's not all of the men but it's enough to be notably worse than when in other countries and can ruin a holiday. They aren't places I'd choose to go yet others love those places and go repeatedly and meet lovely people. Neither side of this argument is wrong as not everyone will have the same experience.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,082Posts Today

8,474Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: Tonight #MartinLewis looks into our family finances; Marriage tax allowance, student loans and child tax credit, 8pm on @ITV?

• Don't forget 8pm tonight ITV - should be a good show. As always my aim is to, in effect, pay you to watch #martinlewis money show

• RT @bbc5live: After midday, money-saving @MartinSLewis will be here to answer your financial questions ????https://t.co/UQMSd5TKbb https://t.?

• Follow Martin