Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 7th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Wolves19797
    Tower Road Car Park, Newquay, Parking Eye Charge Notice
    • 7th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    Tower Road Car Park, Newquay, Parking Eye Charge Notice 7th Oct 16 at 10:18 AM
    Hello,

New to this and desperately hoping that someone can help or offer advice in my circumstances.
    I must say I was annoyed enough at being issued a notice despite having paid and displayed as per rules, but to see the level of complaints of people in similar circumstances beggars belief and I have to ask who is governing this process? They may as well have nicked my purse!
    I parked in the car park in July but have only just received a notice as I'd moved house and they have found me through credit reference agencies (still waiting for new log book) . Though I must say, the notice still went to an old address and was redirected here.. does this count in terms of how long they have to serve notice?
    I have appealed via the online form, explaining what happened. I am the registered keeper but was not the driver on that day. By my explanation I have confirmed that I was there, does that matter? Needless to say I don't still have the ticket.....why would I!
    When we arrived at the car park I attempted to pay by phone as the options suggests. After getting half way through, the call cut off. In the meantime my husband had found the correct change so we p&d. I absolutely did leave the car park within the 'paid time' and actually my daughter was in another car, paid the same amount, arrived and left at the same time, yet has not received a notice....probably because its not eligible to be served and neither should mine have been. I wondered whether the incomplete phone purchase has prompted my notice? Even though I bought a ticket afterwards from the machine, but I have no proof. But by the same token they have no proof that I didn't, does that stand?
    any advice gratefully received and good luck to all others in similar predicaments.
    Last edited by Wolves19797; 07-10-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: additional information
Page 1
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 7th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    • 7th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    This carpark is known we get at least 1 a week for towergate.

Parking Eye use anpr and produce tickets often when people have paid, they don't as far as I know have any staff at this carpark and rely on anpr.

see the newbies thread, you need to write to them but don't pay it.

Sample letters can be found, also worth contacting the landowner, was it the golf club you visited?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 40,408 Posts
    • 52,292 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I have to ask who is governing this process?
    No-one. The BPA and are not a regulator but a network of PPCs.

Here is who to complain to (NOT just Newquay Council and the golf club who own it):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754

does that stand?
    No, you need more than that. Have you given away who was driving?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 7th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:09 PM
    yes it was the golf club. Waiting to hear back from them.
    • Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 7th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    No I haven't given away who was driving. It actually was not me anyway. But I have confirmed that I was in the car.
    Someone at the golf club has suggested that the reg number may have been entered into the P&D machine incorrectly. I cannot confirm or deny that and given the time elapsed have no proof. I can understand ANPR being used in a 'free for 2 hours' car park. But not in a car park where you can pay and display (as we did) for many hours far exceeding the time we were there. I'm at a loss as to how I can prove anything further now. I know for certain we didn't out stay my ticket as we had to leave for work commitments.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 40,408 Posts
    • 52,292 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    yes it was the golf club. Waiting to hear back from them.
    Originally posted by Wolves19797
    No point waiting - they WILL fob you off, it's just an exercise to add to the pile.

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.

• Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 7th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    I have spoken to Parking Eye on the telephone as the address they hold is wrong and I did not want to delay receipt of the decision.
    I have been advised that the reason for notice is because I paid for 3 hours but was in the car park for 3 hours and 19 minutes. I confirmed that that time was spent driving around for a space and being stuck on the phone to the pay by phone company.
    they said you have 10 minutes to find a space...not sure I remember that being advised on the notice board??? I asked what about the phone payment delay, they said that is a different company.
    my suggestion to them..as you are advertising the use of their service you must have agreements in how you mitigate against problems?
    so the long and short of it I am being sent notice because
    :- 1) it took a while to find a space
    2) the advertised pay by phone service was unreliable!!!

• Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 7th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    I have spoken to Parking Eye on the telephone as the address they hold is wrong and I did not want to delay receipt of the decision.
    I have been advised that the reason for notice is because I paid for 3 hours but was in the car park for 3 hours and 19 minutes. I confirmed that that time was spent driving around for a space and being stuck on the phone to the pay by phone company.
    they said you have 10 minutes to find a space...not sure I remember that being advised on the notice board??? I asked what about the phone payment delay, they said that is a different company.
    my suggestion to them..as you are advertising the use of their service you must have agreements in how you mitigate against problems?
    so the long and short of it I am being sent notice because
    :- 1) it took a while to find a space
    2) the advertised pay by phone service was unreliable!!!
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 7th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 7th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    "they said you have 10 minutes to find a space"

and neglected to say ' 10+ minutes to leave" !

consider a complaint to the BPA that ParkinLie (we don't call them that for nothing) are breaking BPA rules .....

read up on 'grace periods'

keep up the good work

and

good luck

Ralph
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 40,408 Posts
    • 52,292 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    No I haven't given away who was driving. It actually was not me anyway. But I have confirmed that I was in the car.
    Someone at the golf club has suggested that the reg number may have been entered into the P&D machine incorrectly. I cannot confirm or deny that and given the time elapsed have no proof. I can understand ANPR being used in a 'free for 2 hours' car park. But not in a car park where you can pay and display (as we did) for many hours far exceeding the time we were there. I'm at a loss as to how I can prove anything further now.

I parked in the car park in July but have only just received a notice as I'd moved house and they have found me through credit reference agencies (still waiting for new log book)
    So you have replied to the 'tracing' letter and got a POPLA code? The tracing letter offers appeal on the back page.

• Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 7th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    i have responded to the letter that i have received and appealed on line.
    is that what you mean? i havent had a response yet, i only did this yesterday so no popla code yet.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 40,408 Posts
    • 52,292 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes, if you filled in their appeals page then you should get a POPLA code because people who get that tracing letter ARE offered an appeal on the back of the letter (you have to hunt for it but you are at appeal stage, which is good).

Also as no NTK was ever served, you can't be held liable as keeper, so it is good you - hopefully - only chose 'registered keeper' (NOT DRIVER!) on the drop down menu on the appeals page.

• Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 10th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    as an adjunct to this waiting period I have written to the BPA with about my case. They rather expectedly replied to say 'no breach' in spite of only assuming (incorrectly) what had happened.
    I am literally gobsmacked that in 2016 this isn't regulated and allowed to continue. I almost feel a suffragette movement coming on. This is downright scandalous and ongoing to many more people, sadly.
    So what happens if POPLA dont see it for what it really is? We Pay or get a CCJ?
    The landowner response = 'we dont get involved'
    • Castle
    • By Castle 10th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    Castle
    So what happens if POPLA dont see it for what it really is? We Pay or get a CCJ?
    The landowner response = 'we dont get involved'
    No you can ignore POPLA's decision and wait for PE to take you to court. (You'll only get a CCJ if you lose at court and fail to pay within 28 days).

While you are waiting for a POPLA code you may want to contact the local council and inform them that the signs do not have advertising consent. And if they have ANPR cameras, then these need planning permission.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Oct 16, 5:27 PM
    • 10,968 Posts
    • 16,372 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Pay or get a CCJ? There's a long way to go between those two points!

Agreed - it's appalling that an industry which is extracting millions from the British public, often with threats and menaces, is totally unregulated. And the DVLA is the source of all the misery.

Have you written to Theresa May et al, as per this link?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5524754
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 10-10-2016 at 5:29 PM.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Wolves19797
    • By Wolves19797 10th Oct 16, 5:52 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wolves19797
    No but nice idea. thank you
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Oct 16, 6:51 PM
    • 40,408 Posts
    • 52,292 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Please, please do. This IS the time to write as this is the time the DCLG are considering the call for evidence and action re parking on private land. We aren't suggesting it half-heartedly. The BMPA has specially written a template complaint to guide people who can't or won't write their own letter but want to be heard.

Also Mrs May has only very recently expressed a specific intent to end the 'credit clamping' CCJ debacle which is led by parking firms as one of the major culprits. So get in there now, tell her how this makes you feel, that you have to dodge being credit clamped for SIX YEARS due to this aggressive litigator pursuing you unfairly.

Please do this now.

Come back when you get a POPLA code and stop even thinking about telephoning Parking Eye. In talking to them it sounds like you probably admitted who was driving...errrrrgggghh...I hope not.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 10-10-2016 at 6:54 PM.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 10,968 Posts
    • 16,372 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I must say, when getting an apparently luke-warm response to advice I offer (especially if it sounds rather patronising), it does somewhat influence how I respond further on the case.

There are just so many who desperately need real help - every single day!
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 10-10-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • W/Woo
    • By W/Woo 6th Nov 16, 8:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    W/Woo
    Tower Road car park faulty ticket machines
    I'd like to appeal to anyone out there who experienced the same problem as me on the 10-9-16. There are 2 machines on the carpark next to the cafe/golf club. The machine on the right wasn't working at all. The machine on the left was faulty. When you punched in your reg' the letters/numbers on the screen displayed different to the keypad, so I got my reg' as close as poss'. I know the 4 lads in front of me (1 group) & the gentleman & lady behind me also had problems. ( approx' time 11.20am ). I got back from holiday to find a £60 parking ticket, with the threat of increasing to £100 if not paid within 14 days. Both shocked & angry (as I have never had a ticket before) I appealed, which as took nearly 5 wks, only to be told I have been unsuccessful & the fine stands. Unfortunately my husband threw all our parking tickets away so I have no proof. I assumed PE would have some IT/maintainance log for repairs to their faulty equipment as the machine seemed to work OK when I returned to the carpark 5 days later. I feel anger at being called a Liar & so have now appealed to POPLA. I will try to use Council carparks from now on. Folks beware !

l
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 6th Nov 16, 11:23 PM
    • 40,408 Posts
    • 52,292 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I'd like to appeal to anyone out there who experienced the same problem as me on the 10-9-16. There are 2 machines on the carpark next to the cafe/golf club.

The machine on the right wasn't working at all. The machine on the left was faulty. When you punched in your reg' the letters/numbers on the screen displayed different to the keypad, so I got my reg' as close as poss'. I know the 4 lads in front of me (1 group) & the gentleman & lady behind me also had problems. ( approx' time 11.20am ).

I got back from holiday to find a £60 parking ticket, with the threat of increasing to £100 if not paid within 14 days. Both shocked & angry (as I have never had a ticket before) I appealed, which as took nearly 5 wks, only to be told I have been unsuccessful & the fine stands. Unfortunately my husband threw all our parking tickets away so I have no proof.

I assumed PE would have some IT/maintainance log for repairs to their faulty equipment as the machine seemed to work OK when I returned to the carpark 5 days later. I feel anger at being called a Liar & so have now appealed to POPLA. I will try to use Council carparks from now on. Folks beware.
    Originally posted by W/Woo
    Oh no, I do hope you wrote a strong POPLA appeal based on our templates you could have just copied?

Please start your own new thread, I'm worried you've wasted your POPLA appeal based on writing about the story of what happened. Please tell us not! If you did you are likely to lose at POPLA which leaves you with defending it in court, in which case PLEASE get our help first, not too late! We write defences. We can help people win cases. It is NOT WON by writing about the story of the day!

NO REPLY HERE PLEASE, THIS IS NOT YOUR THREAD. START YOUR OWN.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

1,094Users online

Martin's Twitter