Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jumperabv3
    • By jumperabv3 7th Oct 16, 4:04 AM
    • 784Posts
    • 160Thanks
    jumperabv3
    The value of the British Pound
    • 7th Oct 16, 4:04 AM
    The value of the British Pound 7th Oct 16 at 4:04 AM
    This is just terrible, getting paid in pounds nowadays is not what it used to be 4 months ago.

Why did you do it? Was it really worth it to vote for Brexit?

Page 4
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    The opportunities for experts are obvious.

As are the price increases for importers and for those who want to spend time outside the country.
    Originally posted by colsten
    My point being the OP has been conveniently one sided in his cries of panic.

Yet has been reluctant to acknowledge any upsides.

I type from Portugal, where my £ isn't stretching as far as it once did.
    • benten69
    • By benten69 13th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    benten69
    Or you can holiday in the UK and help boost our economy. I'm guessing UK holidays are looking pretty good to people in Europe and the US right now.
    Originally posted by lstar337
    Ah yes, holiday in the UK, go to the beach, soak up the sun, enjoy the good looking ladies in bikinis...oh....hang on a minute....you don't get any of that over here.

It's all cold, wet, gloomy weather and 1 good looking lady within a 600 mile radius. Not for me thanks!

The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER. The only time anyone would want to holiday here (in my opinion of course) is to visit London and see all the touristy stuff there. That's about it, and I know that I would rather have a strong £ vs € / $ with less tourists than a handful of extra tourism and a weak as hell £ vs € / $

UK for a holiday vs Europe is one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard.
    SPC9 #408 - £200.39 | SPC10 #408 - £95.69
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #62 - 53% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: £161,250 | Oct '16: £157,050.37

• CLAPTON
    • By CLAPTON 13th Oct 16, 11:24 PM
    • 40,910 Posts
    • 29,652 Thanks
    CLAPTON
    Ah yes, holiday in the UK, go to the beach, soak up the sun, enjoy the good looking ladies in bikinis...oh....hang on a minute....you don't get any of that over here.

It's all cold, wet, gloomy weather and 1 good looking lady within a 600 mile radius. Not for me thanks!

The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER. The only time anyone would want to holiday here (in my opinion of course) is to visit London and see all the touristy stuff there. That's about it, and I know that I would rather have a strong £ vs € / $ with less tourists than a handful of extra tourism and a weak as hell £ vs € / $

Originally posted by benten69
    I guess you will be moving abroad

you won't be missed
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Oct 16, 12:14 AM
    • 3,634 Posts
    • 3,254 Thanks
    eskbanker

Interesting (aka depressing) criteria for selecting a holiday destination, basing a decision on how much there is to leer at, ever considered running for US President? Or perhaps joining the BBC as a prominent sports presenter?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Oct 16, 1:19 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    badmemory
    Upside to brexit - the loss of Benten? Well even Pollyanna should see that as a win.
    • jumperabv3
    • By jumperabv3 14th Oct 16, 6:33 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    jumperabv3

Finally one sane person who understands a little bit the importance of having a strong currency.

The Americans might be laughing now, they can buy the entire UK at exchange rate like this (and China can buy the entire continent of Europe with such a weak Euro/Pound).
    • jumperabv3
    • By jumperabv3 14th Oct 16, 6:40 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    jumperabv3
    Interesting (aka depressing) criteria for selecting a holiday destination, basing a decision on how much there is to leer at, ever considered running for US President? Or perhaps joining the BBC as a prominent sports presenter?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It's not about girls in bikinis, if that's what he likes then good for him ... people prefer places with better weather by nature (double meaning?)

The fact is it's cheaper to fly today to other destinations incl. outside of Europe but when it comes to spending money it would be very expensive to find out your pounds are worthless.

And all it takes is for the sheep and the majority of people who don't know what Halifax Clarity / Creation / Cumberland / N&P etc. are to use the airport desks to exchange money and realize all of a sudden their £1 is worth $1.00 after "commissions" (even though the desks promise "no commissions").

And when they would realize £1 is worth $1.00 instead of $1.50 they will be in panic.

On top of that - imagine how foreigners would easily buy anything they want in the UK ... the UK used to have a status for being expensive and royal - well, there is no cheap royalism in today's markets, only losers.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Oct 16, 8:01 AM
    • 5,072 Posts
    • 6,094 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    And when they would realize £1 is worth $1.00 instead of $1.50 they will be in panic
    No they won't. They might feel irritated. Having passed through an airport where euro parity had arrived the other day there was no hint of a rise in blood pressure, let alone panic.

I await the panic as the £ slumped from over $2 in 2007.
    Last edited by PeacefulWaters; 14-10-2016 at 8:10 AM.
    • CLAPTON
    • By CLAPTON 14th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 40,910 Posts
    • 29,652 Thanks
    CLAPTON
    It's not about girls in bikinis, if that's what he likes then good for him ... people prefer places with better weather by nature (double meaning?)

The fact is it's cheaper to fly today to other destinations incl. outside of Europe but when it comes to spending money it would be very expensive to find out your pounds are worthless.

And all it takes is for the sheep and the majority of people who don't know what Halifax Clarity / Creation / Cumberland / N&P etc. are to use the airport desks to exchange money and realize all of a sudden their £1 is worth $1.00 after "commissions" (even though the desks promise "no commissions").

And when they would realize £1 is worth $1.00 instead of $1.50 they will be in panic.

On top of that - imagine how foreigners would easily buy anything they want in the UK ... the UK used to have a status for being expensive and royal - well, there is no cheap royalism in today's markets, only losers.
    Originally posted by jumperabv3
    if we exported more than we imported then our currency would be higher.

unfortunately we have simply been borrowing overseas and selling assets to fund a lifestyle we haven't been earning.

If you are a loony leftie then you may well call for massive nationalisation of export industries and state central control but if you aren't then there is little can be done except allow the pound to reduce in value.
    Attractive girls in bikinis will be a bonus in any scenario.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 14th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Oh yes, try to travel the UK with your car and pay expensive price for petrol ... hint: the UK imports petrol from other countries and paying for it with a GBP currency ... so it just got more expensive by 20% too.
    No and no.
    I'm just back from a few weeks driving down to Portugal and back. It;s the same price here as in France. Portugal is a bit cheaper, Spain is a lot cheaper.
    It hasn't gone up by 20% here - I saw 1.04 in the midlands a few weeks ago, it's 1.15 now, so 10% not 20%.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • jumperabv3
    • By jumperabv3 14th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    jumperabv3
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Yes, what does it really show? That the UK might stop being an empire? It lost 40% of its value against the dollar, that's not something to be proud of.
    • jumperabv3
    • By jumperabv3 14th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    jumperabv3
    No and no.
    I'm just back from a few weeks driving down to Portugal and back. It;s the same price here as in France. Portugal is a bit cheaper, Spain is a lot cheaper.
    It hasn't gone up by 20% here - I saw 1.04 in the midlands a few weeks ago, it's 1.15 now, so 10% not 20%.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Maybe all Europeans should open their eyes and see how their currencies are worthless against non-European currencies.

Been to Thailand recently, the exchange rate is terrible ... try to exchange your pounds in Amman in Jordan (in the same WH Smith in the airport or in the city) or use it in Tel Aviv to rent a bike - the pound is worthless, I have no idea how to explain it to you.... it's not my own personal problem, it's a national problem.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 14th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 3,501 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    You mean I can't go the Israel or Thailand?

The North American Dollar rates and Euro rates are the main that concern me not Sheikels or Baht.

I'll just need to get ladyboys elsewhere.

Maybe all Europeans should open their eyes and see how their currencies are worthless against non-European currencies.

Been to Thailand recently, the exchange rate is terrible ... try to exchange your pounds in Amman in Jordan (in the same WH Smith in the airport or in the city) or use it in Tel Aviv to rent a bike - the pound is worthless, I have no idea how to explain it to you.... it's not my own personal problem, it's a national problem.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 14th Oct 16, 12:43 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    lstar337
    I have plenty of holiday photos (of sunny beaches) that say otherwise, and I have a lady of my own so I don't need to look.

The UK has to be one of the worst holiday destinations EVER.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cornish+beaches&biw=1873&bih=945&source=l nms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidx76YndrPAhVhCMAKHZl UAvkQ_AUIBigB

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Cornwall&biw=1873&bih=945&source=lnms&tbm =isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC3ePqmtrPAhWsIsAKHSJDDuAQ_A UIBygC#tbm=isch&q=English+south+coast+beaches

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=welsh+beaches&biw=1873&bih=945&source=lnm s&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjFicTDm9rPAhXhDsA KHfNmBqcQ_AUIBigB

Doesn't look so bad to me!
    Last edited by lstar337; 14-10-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 14th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 17,023 Posts
    • 8,390 Thanks
    schiff
    The Blackpool Illuminations have started by the way; Barbara Windsor (thankfully not in a bikini) did the switch on. Accommodation is plentiful and not expensive but sadly no restaurants with a Michelin Star. Scottish banknotes freely accepted.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 14th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 4,807 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    mgdavid

wtf would I want with Thailand, Jordan or Israel? They have no decent motor race circuits, end of conversation.
    A salary slave no more.....
    • jakesuk
    • By jakesuk 15th Oct 16, 12:22 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    jakesuk

I am sorry to say, but I agree unreservedly with this comment. It really is a pity.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 15th Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    agarnett
    wtf would I want with Thailand, Jordan or Israel? They have no decent motor race circuits, end of conversation.
    So this won't have been you on a Royal Jordanian sponsored holiday in the Al-Jafr desert 20 years ago ?

• jumperabv3
    • By jumperabv3 15th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    jumperabv3
    You mean I can't go the Israel or Thailand?

The North American Dollar rates and Euro rates are the main that concern me not Sheikels or Baht.

I'll just need to get ladyboys elsewhere.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    Everyone can be concerned by what's affecting him/her the most, so for you USD could be a concern, for me ILS and THB are bigger concerns...

And if the GBP/USD does concern you - how do you feel about seeing the GBP worth $2.00 about 8 years ago and now it's worth 40% less?

Forget about these 3 countries.
    Try to go to the US.
    Let me know if the prices remain the same for you.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 15th Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 51,285 Posts
    • 43,090 Thanks
    Thrugelmir

Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    The rate hit $1.05 in 1985. Been here before. Nothing new.
    “A man is rich who lives upon what he has. A man is poor who lives upon what is coming. A prudent man lives within his income, and saves against ‘a rainy day’.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,443Posts Today

6,577Users online

Martin's Twitter