Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ih8stress
    • By ih8stress 6th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 1,775Posts
    • 4,763Thanks
    ih8stress
    No planning permission for Extension + Covenants
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    No planning permission for Extension + Covenants 6th Oct 16 at 10:12 PM
    I purposely asked if there was planning permission on a rear single storey extension, (done before the current owner moved in) before offering on a bungalow.
    The Estate Agent checked with the Sellers' Solicitor who confirmed that they could get the paperwork from the council, so I put in my offer.

6 weeks down the line, I have just found out that pp is not available after all. The Sellers' Solicitor has approached the council who say that nothing going back as far as 1974 is showing.
    The property was built sometime in the 70's and extended in the 80's (assumed dates in my survey) so it falls well outside of the 4 year clause for pp but not building regs.

As the Solicitor approached the council an Indemnity is not possible but I would not have accepted this anyway as they do not protect against shoddy work etc.

There are also a couple of Covenants, one stating that any alterations need written consent first. My Solicitor doubts that the extension or garage have these. A fence has also been built which contravenes a Covenant.

Should I be trying to get retrospective building regs ('regularisation') from the Seller?
    Does it actually 'de-value' the property now?

I'm also concerned about re-selling and the possibility of restricting future buyers and lenders to people who are okay with Indemnities (and not being able to disclose that until after an offer is accepted).

Thank you in advance
Page 2
    • ANGLICANPAT
    • By ANGLICANPAT 11th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    ANGLICANPAT
    Anglicanpat, is there something particular you want help with?
    Originally posted by Hoploz
    Not me personally , but a close family member is in a difficult position which obviously I cant go into here , but the options are naturally something Im interested in , not to give advice, but to point a bit at things to look at closely! Those last answers have given me I think, most of what I was looking for , so thanks again everyone for the extra info .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

480Posts Today

2,532Users online

Martin's Twitter